Century Link no internet

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Platinum member
Default Century Link no internet

We have lost our internet signal again. We have had Century for six months and it has not been nearly as dependable as Comcast, not only during heavy rain, but during good weather. Is it just us or are others having this problem?

And then the problem with TOTV.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Gold member

Had a short lasting issue a few days ago with comcast internet, but it didn't last for more than an hour. Been using them for 3 years. Pretty darned reliable, but like most hate the cost and yearly automatic increases. Having researched all the cable/internet providers in the area(including dish, etc.)they are all about the same so we're all stuck till something new comes along....and it will. I just hope it's before I don't really care anymore.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=starflyte1;1213559]We have lost our internet signal again. We have had Century for six months and it has not been nearly as dependable as Comcast, not only during heavy rain, but during good weather. Is it just us or are others having this problem?

we have them for 6 years because we cannot install a dish due to our unusual wall configuration & they are bad, our TV reception is awful, hubby "sweaty" says he will demand a new modem
Old 04-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

CenturyLink has been nearly perfect for me. The problem with TOTV had nothing to do with CenturyLink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
We have lost our internet signal again. We have had Century for six months and it has not been nearly as dependable as Comcast, not only during heavy rain, but during good weather. Is it just us or are others having this problem?

And then the problem with TOTV.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:26 AM

I do not understand this...what does your wall's have to do with a Dish?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
CenturyLink has been nearly perfect for me. The problem with TOTV had nothing to do with CenturyLink.

LOL, could be...ISP's have long been known to protect their reviews in high density client bases. For instance, if you are on Comcast and look at their site for "promotions", you do not get the same prices if you are on Comcast's network as opposed to Cox (or Tor).

It is VERY easy for me to control content even from home with the firewall I use. It is just as easy for an ISP to control and/or limit content.

Here is a fun image...this is the network I am on (at home) with Comcast, one PC, one Crome and two cell phones. The only "website" I am on is TOTV...and the actual traffic is....(as a note, I can block any of it by category, type, destination, time and on and on).

The Villages Florida
Old 04-17-2016, 12:10 PM
Platinum member

tuccillo, I thought I understood that Century Link was the problem with TOTV. Could be I'm wrong.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

Nope! I received a letter from them, as most users did, I'm sure. It said Centurylink Users were most affected, not that it was a Centurylink problem. I have had no issues with Centurylink either here or where I moved from down in Cape Coral, Fl. I'm not gonna say NEVER, that would be almost impossible, but rare outages and not for long. Are you on the fiber optic cable where you are?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Huh?? WTF??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
LOL, could be...ISP's have long been known to protect their reviews in high density client bases. For instance, if you are on Comcast and look at their site for "promotions", you do not get the same prices if you are on Comcast's network as opposed to Cox (or Tor).

It is VERY easy for me to control content even from home with the firewall I use. It is just as easy for an ISP to control and/or limit content.

Here is a fun image...this is the network I am on (at home) with Comcast, one PC, one Crome and two cell phones. The only "website" I am on is TOTV...and the actual traffic is....(as a note, I can block any of it by category, type, destination, time and on and on).

The Villages Florida
Old 04-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No, it wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
tuccillo, I thought I understood that Century Link was the problem with TOTV. Could be I'm wrong.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:05 PM

What that image is - is the real time activity on my computer network at home to the internet. As you can see, there are dozens of sites (yet I was on only this site). They are feeding your information to dozens of other sites - and you as a user agreed to do so.

So, in doing so - TOTV as well as other places (your ISP for instance) - can direct you to see the content that they want you to see. If you were to Google "brakes for a 2001 Pontiac", for a while you are going to get ad's from other sites selling parts (for a 2001 Pontiac). They can also defer you away from sites that are defaming them, competing against them or block you all together from sites they do not like.

Of course, this is all in the User Agreement that you and I agree to when we got our accounts.

(My PC is 10.10.2.13)
Closed Thread

Tags
problem, century, internet, weather, good, totv, rain, dependable, signal, lost, link, comcast, months, heavy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.