Century link not working

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Platinum member
Default Century link not working

We have just moved and got a bundle from directv and century link. About 80% of the time, we don't have Internet. In fact, it could be more than that. We have spent hours talking to century link, but that has not improved anything. Is anyone having problems with century link? Makes me miss Comcast in our last home.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:19 PM

I have been using CenturyLink for three years now with no internet issues.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I had trouble just the past two days and I have had Century Link for the last 9 years with no problem. I use Firefox as a browser and two days ago I could not get my Century Link page up, the outline of the page was there, but nothing more. I turned the computer off and left it for some time before turning it back on. This morning, everything had gone off. When I got up there was no power to my router, so I used the reset button and got that up and running, then no email, getting the error message. Tried to get into Century Link and I got the message that a new customer gets about connecting to the internet. I called their number and spoke to someone in the tech office, they said there was no problem in our area and no problem with my computer. He advised me to get out, shut down, restart, which I did - and everything came up just like as normal .................. the computer genie strikes again!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
We have just moved and got a bundle from directv and century link. About 80% of the time, we don't have Internet. In fact, it could be more than that. We have spent hours talking to century link, but that has not improved anything. Is anyone having problems with century link? Makes me miss Comcast in our last home.
My Century Link was out for a while late last night but ok this morning. We've had it for 4 years with two outages that needed service. They were very prompt and of course no charge. If you are using a router trying plugging computer directly into jack to make sure it is service.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've had Century Link for home phone and internet since July 2011, only had one outage in all that time. That was about 4 months ago, a tech came out that day and said we had a lightning strike. Century Link had installed a backup battery in the garage in the event of a power failure we will still have phone and internet. Apparently lightning hit outside jumped to the phone line and knocked out the battery. Once he replaced the battery service came right back.

We have internet with no modem, we just plug our router or computer directly into the wall jack. They call that 'to the curb'. We're just north off 466A near Seabreeze Rec Center. I've been very happy with their service, could be a little cheaper. We pay $59.99 before taxes for 10 mpbs internet and telephone with unlimited long distance, caller ID and call block.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:34 PM

We're renting between Morse and Buena Vista near Lake Sumter Landing. The download speed is mostly 10 mbps, but the upload is only just under 1 mbps. Is this what you're getting or do I need to contact my landlord? Thanks so much.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licismom View Post
We're renting between Morse and Buena Vista near Lake Sumter Landing. The download speed is mostly 10 mbps, but the upload is only just under 1 mbps. Is this what you're getting or do I need to contact my landlord? Thanks so much.
That's about the same upload speed I get. I didn't realize that until I started putting videos on Youtube this past spring. It took 2 hours to download a 3 minute video. I called Century Link. They said they could increase my speed from 10 to 40 mpbs, which would increase my upload speed for about $20 a month more. I watch videos all the time on our smart TV and have no problems, and we very seldom put videos on Youtube, so I told them just to leave the way it is. If you do a lot of uploading, I would go for that.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Sage

If you have fiber optics to the house, Century Link has a variety of download speeds all the way up to 1 gigabit/sec. One of the options is 40 megabits/sec download and 20 megabits/sec upload for $35/month plus taxes and fees. If you use a Voice-over-IP phone service you can save additional money. For example, Ooma runs about $3.50/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's about the same upload speed I get. I didn't realize that until I started putting videos on Youtube this past spring. It took 2 hours to download a 3 minute video. I called Century Link. They said they could increase my speed from 10 to 40 mpbs, which would increase my upload speed for about $20 a month more. I watch videos all the time on our smart TV and have no problems, and we very seldom put videos on Youtube, so I told them just to leave the way it is. If you do a lot of uploading, I would go for that.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Send a message via ICQ to SoccerCoach

No issues with Century Link, perhaps pricing
Old 12-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licismom View Post
If you are renting your landlord has opted for the lowest speed they offer. 10 and 1 is about right! We rented for a month and the internet speed was a joke! Century Link of course. When you are paying freaking $4400 a month you expect things to be top notch. They only wanted to say yes we have internet!
Old 12-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Thank you for the answer. Less than 1 mbps upload is a pain. That's why I dropped them at our home. Ridiculously slow.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:52 PM

Thank you for your response. We dropped them up north because they weren't reliable and could not deliver a usable speed, consistently. Oh well, will talk to the landlord, but don't really hope for much more.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Platinum member
Default Thanks!

We tried everything, including plugging directly into the phone line. Nothing helped, but today it seems to be working better. If it continues to work, we will check the speed. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

Tags
century, link, improved, spent, hours, talking, comcast, home, miss, problems, makes, bundle, directv, working, moved, 80%, fact, internet, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.