Change My Phone Number with Microsoft

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2022, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default Change My Phone Number with Microsoft

For some unknown reason I can't log into my HP laptop, either entering my code, or
using my fingerprint.

Digging deeper, I notice I registered my house phone number, not my cell number with Microsoft.

Now I need a code from a cell phone from Microsoft to get back into my computer.

I change Microsoft registration phone to my cell phone and now Microsoft says I need
to wait 30 days for security reasons.

I this normal procedure?
Can I call Microsoft to get my code sooner?
Old 02-23-2022, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
For some unknown reason I can't log into my HP laptop, either entering my code, or
using my fingerprint.

Digging deeper, I notice I registered my house phone number, not my cell number with Microsoft.

Now I need a code from a cell phone from Microsoft to get back into my computer.

I change Microsoft registration phone to my cell phone and now Microsoft says I need

I this normal procedure?
Validating a change like that or waiting a period of time before it becomes effective is not uncommon. It's possible that they could validate the number in less than 30 days by sending a code to your previous number. However, that won't work for you so you're stuck at this point.

I would definitely call a Microsoft support number. 30 days is a long time to be without your computer.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-23-2022, 10:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,964 Times in 753 Posts

Of course you can call Microsoft but not on your 3G phone
Old 02-23-2022, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

Does anybody know if the log in requirement can be bypassed when setting up an HP? I don't remember seeing a way to do it on the last one.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The one apparently, I was signed up in with Microsoft was Bitlocker
Old 02-23-2022, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
using my fingerprint.

I this normal procedure?
jI would be much more concerned about no longer being able to login using the normal ways. I would have your PC checked for a virus ro malware, IMHO, it sounds like someone has managed to take control of your PC.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

I believe the issue is he registered a landline not text capable to get code. Get a google voice number if you don’t want to use cell
Old 02-23-2022, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
using my fingerprint.

I this normal procedure?
Something doesn't sound right. When I turn on my HP laptop, I can sign in with either my PIN or my Microsoft password. But there is also an option for "forgot my PIN" or "forgot my password". You may need to enter an incorrect password to get to these options. But then you should have several ways to verify your identity, not just your phone number. I would not wait 30 days or call Microsoft. If you still cannot get access, I would take the laptop to a computer expert like Gizmo Depot, 352-641-0435. They should be able to get access to your laptop and set up a new password. That is a standard thing that they do.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:33 PM
Sage

Another option is to use another computer (the library?) and go to microsoft.com. There you can search "password forgot" and follow the steps for changing your password. You may need to answer some of your security questions.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Something doesn't sound right. When I turn on my HP laptop, I can sign in with either my PIN or my Microsoft password.
I CANNOT sign in with either my PIN or my Microsoft password
Old 02-23-2022, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
When I turn on my laptop, the first thing I get is a Windows login screen, where I can enter a PIN, a password, or select forgot password. If you don't, the issue may be with HP, not Windows. If the laptop has a removable battery, remove it and reinstall it. That may work. Or, shut down the laptop by pressing and holding the power button. Or, if you can get to the Start button, a Settings button, or a search screen, you can do a factory reset of your computer, but you will lose your data. If these things don't work, I would take the laptop to a computer expert. I don't think your issue has anything to do with your phone number. And calling Microsoft will probably be a waste of time. My thoughts. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Don't get mad at us, get mad at Microsoft.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The one apparently, I was signed up in with Microsoft was Bitlocker
first mistake and that is why not to turn that on EVER. there is a way to unlock that, however you need access (in some way) to your Microsoft account and after than it's too complicated to list here.

If it weren't for the bitlocker you wouldn't have to wait the 30 days. Call MSFT support? good luck. As for the finger print. Shut down the machine during boot 3 times that should bring up the 'safety menu' meaning giving you the option to safe start Windows - that typically will reset the PIN counter - meaning you can try your fingerprint again. also slide your finger a bit it changes the read.

without further details that's all I can tell you for now.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

People, look at this guy’s previous posts (which are numerous). He doesn’t have a cell phone and scoffs at those who do.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
I believe the issue is he registered a landline not text capable to get code. Get a google voice number if you don’t want to use cell
Here is a wild guess. But I wonder if he uses call forwarding to forward his landline calls to a cell phone, would he be able to receive a texted code?

Update: Note that there are text forwarding apps that supposedly will forward a text to a computer, email, or another phone. It may be worth a try.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 02-24-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
microsoft, phone, number, cell, code

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.