Internet Access on the go

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Default Internet Access on the go

I will be travelling and need mobile internet access for my laptop. I am renting a TV home which doesn't have internet access.

Does anyone know a fairly inexpensive way to get remote access for about a week without having to buy an expensive laptop connect card and having to activate for a long period of time?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Starbucks, Panera with limited time sessions at lunch and McDonalds all have free Internet access. Not at your home but available.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 PM

On my last stay I was fortunate that the home next to me had an open router. I assume it was a rental. No one was there that week but the WiFi was active. I knew where it was because the router ID was the same as the nameplate on the house.

The time before I used my Android phone hotspot. It was painfully slow, but it worked.

If you just want access and don't mind leaving home, it's generally available these day, Starbucks, McDonalds, Barnes and Noble, Library, etc. I was told Seabreeze has WiFi, maybe all Regional Rec Centers have it. Finally, if you just drive down the street I'm sure you'll find open WiFi all over. That's probably not technically legal (although they are public airwaves) but a quick email or download shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

All of the rec centers have free WiFi
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Gold member

I think you still need your ID # to log on - resident guest ID would work as well, but not sure a regular guest pass would work (don't even remember if those have an ID #) - if you have a regular guest pass, you might ask the owner for their id # if you don't already have it
Old 02-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Veteran member

The Waterfront Inn hotel also has free wifi you can use if you are dining, or having drinks at the bar/in the lobby, etc, there.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Platinum member

If you use Verizon for your Cell phone, they have a device called MiFi that is free (at least it was a month ago). All you have to do is pay the monthly fee of around $40. You could buy an inverter to plug into your car's lighter socket and have internet access anywhere you have a cell phone signal.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks JeffBorn....Starbucks, Panera, Barnes & Noble are going to be "plan b"!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM

Thanks all! Great tips and feedback. See you in a month! Coming down from beautiful Buffalo, NY!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.