Chromebook question

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2022, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Arrow Chromebook question

Picked up an ASUS chrome book on Amazon prime day and wondering if I need Norton or other protection?
Have Malware on my other computers, and have 1 more subscription to use.
TIA
Old 07-29-2022, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp52 View Post
Picked up an ASUS chrome book on Amazon prime day and wondering if I need Norton or other protection?
TIA
Personally, I think Norton and other virus protection software programs are obsolete and not needed. This is especially true for a Chromebook, which is very unlikely to get a virus. I have two Windows 11 computers, a tablet, and a smart phone, and do not have any independent virus protection software installed on any of them.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,197 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
TIA

No need at all. That’s one of the great things re Chrome. All protection is in the cloud from Google. We have used chrome books for almost ten years. Love them. Google protects the users from the bad stuff that can get thru other operating systems.

It’s great.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:52 AM
Thanked 1,111 Times in 244 Posts
Default Chromebook is "Slowbook"

Quote:
TIA
I finally ditched my Asus Chromebook. Wow was it ever sloooow! Using Chrome for the Internet lets Google track everything no matter how deep you go into the settings and tweak your privacy settings. The disappearing scroll bar is a pain. Chromebooks have a myriad of annoying quirks too numerous to mention in detail. And did I mention how slow the Chrome browser is?

I got a new and inexpensive (less than $300) HP laptop with Windows 11 and what a difference not to mention having the advantage of a full fledged computer with a hard drive. The big change is being able to use Firefox as a browser which is wicked fast and really does block tracking and does a good job at also blocking ads and pop ups. I switched to using DuckDuckGo as my search engine and that put an end to the targeted ads following every search I used to make on Google. I was originally a big fan of all things Google but no more. I would not take another Chromebook even if it was free.

About Norton and similar programs; They will really slow down the computer. I have not used any anti-virus or firewalls in the last 20 years on either PC's or Chromebooks and have never had a virus. It's all about marketing; first create a fear and then sell you the solution.

Last edited by dhdallas; 07-30-2022 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-30-2022, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

I had one of the first chromebooks and loved them ever since. A Chromebook cannot get a virus, everything on the chromebook is encrypted, if anything happens to your chromebook just get a new one, sign in and everything comes right back. Windows will never be completely safe no matter what you use for anti-virus.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:17 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Totally agree
Old 07-31-2022, 02:17 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I finally ditched my Asus Chromebook. Wow was it ever sloooow! Using Chrome for the Internet lets Google track everything no matter how deep you go into the settings and tweak your privacy settings. The disappearing scroll bar is a pain. Chromebooks have a myriad of annoying quirks too numerous to mention in detail. And did I mention how slow the Chrome browser is?

I got a new and inexpensive (less than $300) HP laptop with Windows 11 and what a difference not to mention having the advantage of a full fledged computer with a hard drive. The big change is being able to use Firefox as a browser which is wicked fast and really does block tracking and does a good job at also blocking ads and pop ups. I switched to using DuckDuckGo as my search engine and that put an end to the targeted ads following every search I used to make on Google. I was originally a big fan of all things Google but no more. I would not take another Chromebook even if it was free.

About Norton and similar programs; They will really slow down the computer. I have not used any anti-virus or firewalls in the last 20 years on either PC's or Chromebooks and have never had a virus. It's all about marketing; first create a fear and then sell you the solution.
Totally agree 👍
Old 08-08-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post

I got a DuckDuckGo as my search engine and that put an end to the targeted ads following every search I used to make on Google. I was originally a big fan of all things Google but no more. I would not take another Chromebook even if it was free.

Have to agree on this. BTW DuckDuckGo has a browser on Android that deletes cookies with a single button called the fire animation and it's a lot of fun to use. Some people have concerns about the guy who created DuckDuckGo, you can google it. Lol.

Chromebooks might be affected by malware just like all other browser applications and websites but it's probably safer than an outdated Windows machine which is what happens to most Windows machines before long.

The reason a Chromebook might be safer than other platforms like Windows, Linux or Apple is because they are not targeted as much because they are not as widely used. That's also why Apple had less viruses years ago, but even they are able to get viruses when targeted.

Jan 28, 2021 While it's unlikely for a virus to infect a Chromebook, other malware types can slip through the cracks. Malware is a more general term that includes viruses, spyware, trojans, browser hijackers, rootkits, and other software designed with malicious intent. The most potential for malware comes from browser extensions and Android apps.

Jan 8, 2022 Chromebook devices can also get viruses when users install (knowingly or unknowingly) malicious browser extensions. Even extensions that were originally safe can become malicious if the developer behind the extensions becomes lazy and stops pushing out updates. Chromebooks can also get viruses if the user visits unregulated websites as well.

FYI unregulated websites are generally xxx, dating, etc. But also bad are websites with outdated software.

Last edited by Bikehike; 08-08-2022 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added comments from search about Chrome book viruses
Closed Thread

Tags
chromebook, tia, subscription, computers, malware

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.