Chromebook questions

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Chromebook questions

My understanding is that a Chromebook comes with no real operating system and limited storage, and relies on being connected to the internet.

Is it possible to install and run a Linux-based OS and use it for spreadsheets etc. while not connected to the internet?

I assume that additional storage is possible using a USB memory stick?

If "yes" to both, what Chromebook would you recommend?

Thank you
Old 12-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

I don't know about the Linux system, but, if you need additional storage, I would look for a Chromebook that has an SD or micro SD slot in it. Then, you can buy a tiny SD card to add at least 256 GB, and possibly 512 GB of storage. But, yes a USB flash drive will also work. And, if you need a disk drive, you can always buy an external USB powered disk drive for about $35 at Best Buy or Amazon.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

I've been using a chromebook for about 10 years. It uses the cloud (15GB free) for storage. I've imported Word Docs and Excel Sheets and saved them in the Google format for editing and then saved them back to Word (or Excel) to someone on Windows. I use the Chromebook for 99% of my computing needs. You can read and write to USB, like on a PC.

That being said, I also converted my old PCs to Linux Mint and would never go back to Windows. There are thousands of programs for Linux that are very similar to Windows programs, but require a little learning curve.

The new high end Chromebooks will allow you to load Linux (mine is a little to old, which is why I converted my old PCs)

If you would like to see a Chromebook (or Linux) in use, I'll be at the Connected Villager workshop tomorrow (1 pm Dec 2nd) at the Eisenhower Rec Center. you will need a village ID.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
The new high end Chromebooks will allow you to load Linux (mine is a little to old, which is why I converted my old PCs).
Many thanks, JJ

Grateful if you would explain why you can't load Linux on an old Chromebook, and why it needs to be a "high end" one?

I have read that Linux can be run off a memory stick (in a PC, anyway) but I would prefer things to be "self contained" for convenience.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Many thanks, JJ

Grateful if you would explain why you can't load Linux on an old Chromebook, and why it needs to be a "high end" one?

I have read that Linux can be run off a memory stick (in a PC, anyway) but I would prefer things to be "self contained" for convenience.
Like Windows PCs, the operating system updates are designed for new hardware. My chromebook is almost 3 years old, before the Linux option was created.

A memory stick will have the same problem since it requires newer hardware.

So why does Linux run on old machines but not old Chromebooks? Because of the hardware, Chromebooks are designed to run on low end hardware to keep them inexpensive. Old PCs had higher end hardware (for the time) and Linux is designed to use that hardware.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Like Windows PCs, the operating system updates are designed for new hardware. My chromebook is almost 3 years old, before the Linux option was created.
Thank you, JJ
Old 12-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Sage
Default Another question added to the OP's....

I have an older Chromebook (which I really like)...can't recall when we bought it but it might be 5 or 6 yrs old. We could never install it to send to our copier, which is somewhat inconvenient. We've circumvented that by my sending documents over to the PC in our office, which is just an occasional thing. Is copying available with the new Chromebooks??
Old 12-02-2019, 03:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Is copying available with the new Chromebooks??
If you mean printing, then YES you can. I just got my first Chromebook a few weeks ago and it is great. Way cheaper than a Laptop PC also.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:23 PM

Can you use Turbo Tax or HR Block Tax software on a chromebook, i don't mean the online version, i mean the full 'deluxe/homeowners" versions. Thanks
Old 12-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecoralbill View Post
Can you use Turbo Tax or HR Block Tax software on a chromebook, i don't mean the online version, i mean the full 'deluxe/homeowners" versions. Thanks
I'm pretty sure that they will not work because those software programs are not "stand alone" programs. They use either the Windows or Mac operating system as a template to perform the functions. I just purchased Turbotax for 2019 and it requires Windows or Mac software.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Sage

What Chromebook is considered one of the most ‘powerful’? I don’t care to spend a fortune if I buy one, but I will pay a bit for one with plenty of memory and a nice, big screen.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

The reason you can't get a virus on a chromebook is the reason you can't run programs like TurboTax, you can't run an EXE.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We both use ACER chromebook laptops as our main computer. Both with external keyboards and widescreen monitor - like a desktop. Ours are abour 3-4 years old, and believe they were $250 or less each. LOVE the very quick boot-up - about 20 seconds after powerup and Google acct PW entry. Auto update etc etc. And settings to auto load apps - I use YahooMail/Gmail, Calendar, weather, USA Today, Fox News, TOTV, 96.5 News. They all come up on tabs within 20 seconds - click and go.

Never had a virus or issue - fast response. Bookmarks easy to use and update. We use Google drive for storage, also have Android phones, so same storage.

Bottom line - Chromebooks are perfect for us, meets every need.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20191203_090918.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	82086  
Old 12-03-2019, 11:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Chromebooks are perfect for us, meets every need.
I'm looking for something small and light to travel with, but since I won't always be connected to the internet I need something with an operating system installed (Windows or Linux-based) so that I can still work on it when off-line.

And since I might end up dropping it, I'm reluctant to spend too much on it :-)
Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
LOVE the very quick boot-up - about 20 seconds after powerup and Google acct PW entry. Auto update etc etc. And settings to auto load apps - I use YahooMail/Gmail, Calendar, weather, USA Today, Fox News, TOTV, 96.5 News. They all come up on tabs within 20 seconds - click and go.
Do you turn yours on and off several times per day? Why is bootup speed so important. I just leave my Windows computer on 24/7, but do reboot once in a while when i end up with too many window open. Thanks for your opinion. Bill
Closed Thread

Tags
chromebook, internet, connected, storage, assume

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.