Chromebook vs. Windows 10

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2020, 07:52 AM

I suspect your problem is not with Windows but the 4 GB of RAM. I can’t imagine trying to run everything in such a small amount of memory. I recommend a minimum of 8 GB of RAM. You might see if you can upgrade your RAM, which would be a lot less than a new machine. Probably less than $100, but I don’t really know what kind you would need.

But, if you decide to go new, make sure it will run the software you want to use. Also, if you switch to a different operating system, you will have to relearn how to do everything.

You might try contacting the computer club.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Default Chrome ok for the light user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'm in the market for a new computer. I've always had Windows until now, currently a
HP with an Intel I3 processor, 4GB Ram and a 14" display. I browse a lot, run a tax program and I have a calibre ebook library. Sometimes I feel like Win-10 bogs it all down and I'm thinking seriously about getting a chromebook.

From what I gather, I can get a calibre app that works on chromebook and I'm familiar with the google cloud storage, docs, spreads, etc. for my fairly lightweight use. There is also a tax app but I will likely just run taxes off of my wife's win-10 computer and keep that info private.

Here is my hangup - the processor. Using a cheap AMD or a Celeron/Pentium scares me, thinking it'll be slow on a chromebook. Should I be concerned? It seems the I3 and AMD Ryzen and better processors run a couple hundred dollars more on a chromebook - which I don't really understand why, personally.

I'm a basic user and mostly looking for basic functionality but with decent speed.
Budget is an issue but I'd go up to $400. I don't need a touchscreen nor 2-in-1.
I do like Lenovo keyboards but I'm not stuck on that.

Any thoughts out there, smart people? Most appreciated, be safe.

i use windows 10 - my wife uses chrome book

I am a computer programmer and a heavy user of MS office , she uses such thing very rarely
your main issue may be you tax program - since almost nothing is housed on the chrome book - you will need to be on a web based solution for you taxes

we are strongly considering replacing the Chrome book with another windows 10
Old 08-07-2020, 08:23 AM

not going to get much for $400.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Default define further

Quote:
I'm in the market for a new computer. I've always had Windows until now, currently a
HP with an Intel I3 processor, 4GB Ram and a 14" display. I browse a lot, run a tax program and I have a calibre ebook library. Sometimes I feel like Win-10 bogs it all down and I'm thinking seriously about getting a chromebook.

From what I gather, I can get a calibre app that works on chromebook and I'm familiar with the google cloud storage, docs, spreads, etc. for my fairly lightweight use. There is also a tax app but I will likely just run taxes off of my wife's win-10 computer and keep that info private.

Here is my hangup - the processor. Using a cheap AMD or a Celeron/Pentium scares me, thinking it'll be slow on a chromebook. Should I be concerned? It seems the I3 and AMD Ryzen and better processors run a couple hundred dollars more on a chromebook - which I don't really understand why, personally.

I'm a basic user and mostly looking for basic functionality but with decent speed.
Budget is an issue but I'd go up to $400. I don't need a touchscreen nor 2-in-1.

You really need to define further what you find slow. Most of what you mention is internet based which means the fastest computer will still be hindered by download speed of your connection. What specifically do you find slow? What tax program do you run? Is it internet based or resident on your computer? If resident on your computer it may not run on a chromebook.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 AM

samsung chromebook will do just fine with your budget
Old 08-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

My Chromebook with a Celeron chip and 4 GB of ram is very speedy for every day computing.

Keep in mind the Chromebook does not need as much power as a Windows machine because the operating system is far less complicated.

Windows is loaded with all kinds of crap.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
...Windows is loaded with all kinds of crap.
Stop with high level tech talk!
Old 08-07-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Hi John. I'm not the sharpest in the toolshed :-) but have used almost all the gadgets: PC Windows & laptops, Chromebook, Macbooks, and iPads. Since budget is your first concern, then a Chromebook will do. Chromebooks are mostly for ONLINE usage which means it relies heavily in the speed of your internet connectivity, not necessarily the CPU nor memory. You can have the fastest machine but if your internet is slow, then the machine is useless. I hope that helps. -myk
Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 PM

I use computers a lot, though haven't really kept up the latest technology. Had some really good ones and had good luck with AMD processors, so I'm not afraid of going that route. A good Internet connection is important for speed. I get 70-80mbps wireless. As we age, it gets harder to learn a whole new operating system. I've used Windows since way back (3.1) In January, when Microsoft stopped supporting WIN 7, I bought an HP Chromebook for $200. Found it very limiting with what I could do with it and the screen too small. Even my 17" laptop wasn't enough screen. I don't want my stuff dependent on the Cloud either. So I broke down and bought a desktop with WIN 10 ($600) and a 24" monitor ($200). Much easier on the old eyes. Though I still detest Windows 10, it's what I'm used to and I still use a lot of older software. It has an optical drive, a SSD, 8GB Ram, lots of USB ports and such to connect stuff. I considered trying a Mac but too apprehensive to learn something completely different. I have an iPad and not impressed. Use that for games and ebooks as I couldn't get the email account working. On your budget and if you trust the Cloud, you could get by with a Chromebook, but it's not going to do everything a Windows pc can do. Don't know if any of this was helpful at all - just my 2 cents. Maybe try MMD Computer on 441 in Lady Lake. They might have some refurbished deals. They have handled all my pc issues and upgrades for 17 years. Good luck to you!

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 08-07-2020, 02:34 PM

I received a surface for Fathers day 3 years ago...and its great...very simliar to and IPAd...you can use the keyboard or detach it at any time using the tablet mode... It also has a screen pen where you can draw or pen (write) notes.
Simple to use..
Old 08-07-2020, 07:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Try installing LinuxMint. It is free. If you don't like it, then close down and boot to windows again, or go ahead and buy your new box. Linux uses your hardware very efficiently. Often it is like getting a new computer. The program comes with native productivity aps, and you can get your Calibre program too.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Hurry up and bust a move. The 2020 Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday was passed by the Florida Legislature and signed into law by Governor Ron DeSantis. This sales tax holiday begins Friday, August 7, 2020, and ends Sunday, August 9, 2020. It is only Tax-Free for the first $1000 that is spent. Apple Card is also Interest-Free for a year so if that helps you that's great. I know it's over your budget but I hope it works for you. Good Luck. You won't regret buying an Apple once you get past the price. To me, it's worth it.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 PM

Agreed, if you don't spent a 1000 for a laptop you will complain about it being slow!
Old 08-08-2020, 06:16 AM

Although I'm not a chrome book aficionado I agree with your concept.

As a retired IT consultant I always buy off-lease BUSINESS computers from the manufacturer for a few reasons. 1. Business computer is made with more resilient materials. 2. Business computer has less "bloatware" installed. 3. They last longer...

Be forewarned...you MUST install all your own application and utility software for your use (security, word processing, etc.). For this reason this paradigm may not be best for all.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflash245 View Post
not going to get much for $400.
au contraire. I've no doubt I can find something quite suitable at or below budget.
Maybe one man's trash is another man's treasure!
Closed Thread

Tags
chromebook, run, app, thinking, win-10

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.