Printer ink dries out when away

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Default Printer ink dries out when away

We are seasonal residents and our printer ink always dries up while we’re away. I’ve tried removing it from the printer and putting it in an airtight container without success. Has anyone come across this problem with possible solutions? Thanks.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
We are seasonal residents and our printer ink always dries up while we’re away. I’ve tried removing it from the printer and putting it in an airtight container without success. Has anyone come across this problem with possible solutions? Thanks.
Put the entire printer in a Black Garbage Bag. I did that with an old cheap printer I knew I would need one day in NJ. After two years I plugged that piece of junk in and away we went, when it ran out of ink I threw it out.

I need a printer with a two-sided document feeder and two-sided copying at a reasonable price. Any ideas? Help!

If you use the non-OEM ink I don't think anything will keep it from drying out. Good Luck.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Sage

I just found this on line but haven't tried it.

Storing Opened Ink Cartridges

If your ink cartridges are already outside their original packaging, they should be placed in a plastic tub with an airtight lid for safekeeping. Along with the cartridges, place a damp cloth or paper in the sealed tub to initiate humid conditions in a controlled environment.

Remember, if cartridge nozzles are not stored in airtight and humidified conditions they can crust over or dry out, nullifying their usefulness. Make sure that there is nothing touching or leaning against the cartridge nozzles. If anything rubs against them, it can cause the ink to wick.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I need a printer with a two-sided document feeder and two-sided copying at a reasonable price. Any ideas? Help!
We bought the previous version of this one and it works great. If you can get by with black and white I recommend it:
Amazon.com: Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L2350DW, Wireless Printing, Duplex Two-Sided Printing, Amazon Dash Replenishment Enabled: Office Products

kathy
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I just found this on line but haven't tried it.

Storing Opened Ink Cartridges

If your ink cartridges are already outside their original packaging, they should be placed in a plastic tub with an airtight lid for safekeeping. Along with the cartridges, place a damp cloth or paper in the sealed tub to initiate humid conditions in a controlled environment.

Remember, if cartridge nozzles are not stored in airtight and humidified conditions they can crust over or dry out, nullifying their usefulness. Make sure that there is nothing touching or leaning against the cartridge nozzles. If anything rubs against them, it can cause the ink to wick.
I tried this twice, no luck.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

I think I would have an identical printer at both residences and bring the cartridges along when I relocate. Another possible solution is to have a web based printer, and occasionally print a few pages remotely.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

That is exactly why I went to a laser printer. The toner is dry and so never clogs up. IF, I ever really need to print something in color, I can use the printers at the rec centers for (I think) $0.10 per page.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We bought the previous version of this one and it works great. If you can get by with black and white I recommend it:
Amazon.com: Brother Compact Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L2350DW, Wireless Printing, Duplex Two-Sided Printing, Amazon Dash Replenishment Enabled: Office Products

kathy
Talk about bang for the buck, I had this printer for several years until it needed a drum. The thing is am I'm starting to think its impossible to find, a two-sided printer with the original being flipped in the document feeder. If its out there I've had no luck finding it but thanks for the effort, much appreciated.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I put ours in an airtight bag in the freezer. Just remember to take it out several hours before you want to use it.

I do so little color printing that my next printer will be a B&W laser. Can get them for under $100 and never have problem with the toner being left for longer periods. Also, in the long run, non-OEM toner is much cheaper than ink cartridges.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I put ours in an airtight bag in the freezer. Just remember to take it out several hours before you want to use it.

I do so little color printing that my next printer will be a B&W laser. Can get them for under $100 and never have problem with the toner being left for longer periods. Also, in the long run, non-OEM toner is much cheaper than ink cartridges.
Will need to try that, how long do you “defrost” it before putting in the printer?
Old 09-30-2018, 12:49 PM

Brother 2350DW laser printer is $89.00 from Walmart.com. does 2 sided printing. It is a WiFi printer, easy to setup and works great! No ink to dry up!
Old 09-30-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage

I've had good luck with wrapping the printer cartridges in saran wrap. Then I soak them before using.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 AM
Gold member

A few years ago we had the same problem--dried up inoperable ink. We went to Walmart to buy a new printer and the salesman said to buy a Canon printer. We did and no more useless ink cartridges. It works perfectly every year.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Will need to try that, how long do you “defrost” it before putting in the printer?
just take it out the night before you want to use it
Old 10-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Thank you for all the replies.
Closed Thread

Tags
printer, dries, ink, success, container

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.