Compatible dsl cable modems for centurlink

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Default Compatible dsl cable modems for centurlink

What is a reliable dsl cable modem that I can use to replace the Centurylink DSL cable modem I rent every month??
Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM

I asked this question of Century Link and was told I could buy it from them but there would still be a monthly fee for insurance in case the modem that I purchased from them needed replacing. My response to them was that they must think consumers are stupid and I hung up.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 AM

I have internet only thru Century Link, use my own router which is a Apple Extreme, tech from Century link, said it was much better than the ones they have, you don't need a modem just a router if you have internet only. If you have TV through them with internet and phone, then they want you to use there's, with option to buy, I have Direct TV for my TV provider.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Sage

Do you really have DSL (over copper wires) or do you have fiber optic cable to your house? If you have fiber optic cable then they provide a dynamic IP address at the wall plate and all you need is a router. If you have the older DSL over copper wires then you need a "modem/router". Call CenturyLink to find out what your options are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer15 View Post
What is a reliable dsl cable modem that I can use to replace the Centurylink DSL cable modem I rent every month??
Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
I asked this question of Century Link and was told I could buy it from them but there would still be a monthly fee for insurance in case the modem that I purchased from them needed replacing. My response to them was that they must think consumers are stupid and I hung up.

They lie ANY modern DSL modem will work. Go to BestBuy (they will lie too)...but, I would get Comcast/Cox (who will also lie).

A DLS Modem/Cable Modem is NOT a Firewall and barely a router.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
So, what did you get?
Old 06-07-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
So, what did you get?
They told me that only their modem/router would work because we have Prism. When we were with Time Warner in Rochester they encouraged you to go out and buy your own.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
They told me that only their modem/router would work because we have Prism. When we were with Time Warner in Rochester they encouraged you to go out and buy your own.
They lied. Before I got Comcast I was at the CL retail place on 441. I told them I would do my own install with my own device. Some snotty chick cocked her head like a dog trying to understand what I was saying and informed me that "Only a computer expert lilke (ours) theirs would even have the first idea how to install the internet".

Um, yeah.

TP-LINK TD-8616 ADSL2+ Modem Up to 24Mbps downstream ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ Standards 1 x RJ11 Port, 1 x RJ45 - Newegg.com

That modem will do you well. Then, get a decent router and WiFi from there. I will hold back on my opinions on what is good being as I have a WatchGuard T50 in my home.

WatchGuard Firebox T50-W - security appliance - WGT51033-US - Firewalls/UTMs - CDW.com
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've had Century Link internet and phone since July 2011 and have never had a modem, I live in Tamarind Grove.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:42 AM
Sage

CenturyLink has a list of compatible equipment at:

Modem Compatibility Table

I believe the C2000T (or perhaps the C2100T now) is what they typically install for those that have Prism TV service (aka IPTV). The compatibility guide suggests that only certain pieces of equipment will support Prism TV - this may or may not be true (or perhaps they will only guarantee that certain pieces of equipment will work with Prism TV). Their tech support people are pretty helpful (not the sales folks) - give them a call and they should be able to give you your options.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 06-08-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:45 AM
Sage

I am not sure why they told you that. I have CenturyLink and use my own equipment and I don't pay an additional fee for insurance. If you are unsure of an answer, try calling back as you will get another representative.

Quote:
Old 06-08-2016, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record10ti View Post
They lied. Before I got Comcast I was at the CL retail place on 441. I told them I would do my own install with my own device. Some snotty chick cocked her head like a dog trying to understand what I was saying and informed me that "Only a computer expert lilke (ours) theirs would even have the first idea how to install the internet".

Um, yeah.

TP-LINK TD-8616 ADSL2+ Modem Up to 24Mbps downstream ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ Standards 1 x RJ11 Port, 1 x RJ45 - Newegg.com

That modem will do you well. Then, get a decent router and WiFi from there. I will hold back on my opinions on what is good being as I have a WatchGuard T50 in my home.

WatchGuard Firebox T50-W - security appliance - WGT51033-US - Firewalls/UTMs - CDW.com
Wow! $2400 for your modem/router? You are a serious internet person. You obviously speak IT. I wish I understood this stuff better so I could configure my own modem and router, but I tend to guess until it works. I can hook up the comcast modem/router without having a tech come to my house. Also, I have the ability to go online to the comcast gateway site and change my comcast given password and even the assigned router name, through a lot of painstaking trial and error. But then, I can hardly keep my printer talking to my two computers, or set up my network/work group so that both computers are accessible from each other. Oh well.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Sage

If you have fiber optics to the house then the box of electronics on the outside of your house provides an IP address to the wall jack. You can plug a computer directly into the wall jack but most people will have a wireless router if they have multiple devices that will access the internet. Essentially the "modem" is in the box of electronics on the outside of your house. What it really does is the optical to copper conversion - everything on the inside of your house is copper. That box also delivers a phone signal to phone jacks. If you want to save some money, buy one of the Voice-over-IP boxes such as Ooma or MagicJacks and drop your phone service with CenturyLink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've had Century Link internet and phone since July 2011 and have never had a modem, I live in Tamarind Grove.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Im very happy with our Comcast service, including the $10 montly rental modem. Im not gonna sweat $10 a month, heck that's one less bottle of wine I'll buy,
Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
If you have fiber optics to the house then the box of electronics on the outside of your house provides an IP address to the wall jack. You can plug a computer directly into the wall jack but most people will have a wireless router if they have multiple devices that will access the internet. Essentially the "modem" is in the box of electronics on the outside of your house. What it really does is the optical to copper conversion - everything on the inside of your house is copper. That box also delivers a phone signal to phone jacks. If you want to save some money, buy one of the Voice-over-IP boxes such as Ooma or MagicJacks and drop your phone service with CenturyLink.
I've had a Linksys E2500 router since the first day. I only said I can plug directly into the wall jack was an option. I have a smart TV and look quite often at both Netflix and Youtube. My computer is an all in one with a 21" monitor, so it's not that mobile and it sits in another room. I just mention all that because so many people are saying CL is making them take a modem, when I didn't need one five years ago.

I've been billed $59.99 a month plus tax since day one for 10 mpbs speed and telephone with unlimited long distance. When I signed up in 2011 that was the quickest speed available and it would only saved $20 to drop the telephone, I thought the convenience of a real phone was worth that.

Since then, they have upgraded to 40 mphs speed in my area. I called and for $40 I could get the faster speed with no telephone and then go with Magikjack. If Century Link had terrible service I would maybe think of changing, but I've only lost my internet once in 5 years and that was for about an hour. Another time I did lose it, but the tech came out that day and said a lightning strike had hit near my garage and the backup battery in the garage had shorted out. He replaced the battery and all was good. So, I guess I'm with 'Don't fix it, if it ain't broke' mentality.
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, dsl, modem, replace, rent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.