Computer for 1 1/2+ years old Grandchildren

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2021, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Computer for 1 1/2+ years old Grandchildren

I have two Grand Children aged 1 1/2 yrs old, born just a week apart. One is very interested in her parents' computers, the other not so much. I am looking for recommendations for a starter pad for children of this age. Would appreciate any info.

I am looking and thinking about this VTech Play Smart Preschool Laptop, it looks pretty interesting to me, and the little girl is already pointing to pictures in books, the boy not so much he prefers food. But, they get treated the same!

Thank you for any ideas you may have!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-17-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

A used iPad. I have 4 or 5 OLD ones - all the way back to iPad 1, and they all still work and make great first pads for grandchildren.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
A used iPad. I have 4 or 5 OLD ones - all the way back to iPad 1, and they all still work and make great first pads for grandchildren.

Thanks for the idea, but at a very young age I think they need pictures to guide them into the learning process. I checked out the company I mentioned and they have a couple of tablets that look pretty good, but I would like to hear from people who have given tablets to young children.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-17-2021, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

My just 20 month old grand daughter has a tablet that she can follow along and play games (like making ice cream deserts) on her own. The tablet is pretty indestructible for spills and drops. She can be self occupied by this for 30 minutes at a time.

However, my 18 month old grandson is not allowed to have a tablet as they don’t want him to have too much screen time at this age. So check with the parents.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Thanks for the idea, but at a very young age I think they need pictures to guide them into the learning process. I checked out the company I mentioned and they have a couple of tablets that look pretty good, but I would like to hear from people who have given tablets to young children.
There are apps for the iPad's that go all the way down to 1 or 2 years old.

I am not sure what you are looking for now? A customer made "infant" computer maybe?

Anyway, good luck.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:13 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I much prefer the good old days when parents and grandparents used to engage with the children in stuff like reading stories and playing games - real person-to-person interaction! There are lots of pictures in books - with a good story about them!

Old 09-17-2021, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
My just 20 month old grand daughter has a tablet that she can follow along and play games (like making ice cream deserts) on her own. The tablet is pretty indestructible for spills and drops. She can be self occupied by this for 30 minutes at a time.

However, my 18 month old grandson is not allowed to have a tablet as they don’t want him to have too much screen time at this age. So check with the parents.
I don't do anything without checking with the parents. The Mother of the little girl is highly educated and is all for the child having a computer, it's just a case of which one. When I get more information I am going to send it over to her and let her decide. The girl is far more advanced than the boy at this stage, but he will catch up.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I much prefer the good old days when parents and grandparents used to engage with the children in stuff like reading stories and playing games - real person-to-person interaction! There are lots of pictures in books - with a good story about them!
The parents are very engaged. The little girl already goes to the bookcase and takes her books and follows the pictures with either Mother or Father, she also has a child minder who is the sister of the Father.

Yes, times have changed, but who says which is right or wrong?

Old 09-17-2021, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post

My great niece was not allowed to look at screens until she was around 5. Her father is a psychologist and had done some reading on screens vs hyperactivity in children. It's one of the reasons the early childhood Einstein videos became unpopular.

"In the latest study on the effects of popular videos such as the "Baby Einstein" and "Brainy Baby" series, researchers find that these products may be doing more harm than good. And they may actually delay language development in toddlers. Led by Frederick Zimmerman and Dr.Aug 6, 2007"
Baby Einsteins: Not So Smart After All
- TIME
Old 09-17-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I have two Grand Children aged 1 1/2 yrs old, born just a week apart. One is very interested in her parents' computers, the other not so much. I am looking for recommendations for a starter pad for children of this age. Would appreciate any info.

I am looking and thinking about this VTech Play Smart Preschool Laptop, it looks pretty interesting to me, and the little girl is already pointing to pictures in books, the boy not so much he prefers food. But, they get treated the same!

American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO screen time until age 2, then limited. Studies have shown children comprehend more when read from an old fashioned book than off an e-reader. Its awfully hard to limit screen time as most kids are VERY interested, but its not good for the developing brain.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:34 AM
Sage

At the risk of being told to mind my own business, I will pass this information to the Mother and let her make the decision.

Thanks to all.

Old 09-17-2021, 01:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

I was beating on pots & pans at that age! I turned out ok after I got out of jail.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:57 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Sounds like the parent spend too much time on the computer/tablet child may be looking for attention
Old 09-17-2021, 05:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

You daughter can visit many sites, with information from qualified parents, and professionals who rate technology for all age groups. Some from moms, some from tech publications, some from child psychology, plus site’s, that help parents with autistic children.

Our youngest is a behavior psychologist, his practice is in person learning, with little screen time, should be first option. Then as child progresses ( age should not be a factor) screen time added to enhance the learning experience.

Our grandsons, spent every day with someone who read to them, and taught early math, and writing, until the age of 5. Then technology took over. Now Ages 18 and 22 they are gamers. The oldest actually competing for a college. What I notice with both is social skills are lacking, along with face to face contact. Would rather spend hours in front of a screen, than socializing.

Last edited by thelegges; 09-17-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
children, computer, recommendations, starter, pad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.