Computer Disk F is full

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
@Goldwingnut
Now that's what I consider an answer! (one post above.)
CCleaner will do the majority of what you suggest and also remove internet cache directories.

Most users are not aware of the other 'drives', by default Windows does not show Hidden or System folders, or hidden partitions. I see you have turned the view option on. Windows should not be using those hidden drives, areas for temporary storage updates.

Your cleaning suggestion post should be a sticky here. I've seen sooooo many requests for help that would be fixed by following your suggestions.

(PC repair 25 years)
I used to use ccleaner when cleaning school computers. The past few years I have become suspicious of free software. What do you think?

I forget now if this can be done. Can I download ccleaner and check it for malware before I install it? I just have the anti virus that windows provides for free on windows 8.1.

And don't you think that starting with duplicate file finder is a good idea?
Old 07-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I used to use ccleaner when cleaning school computers. The past few years I have become suspicious of free software. What do you think?

I forget now if this can be done. Can I download ccleaner and check it for malware before I install it? I just have the anti virus that windows provides for free on windows 8.1.

And don't you think that starting with duplicate file finder is a good idea?
CrapCleaner (now CCleaner) is a phenomenal free tool for regular PC maintenance. It also includes a formidable registry cleaner and duplicate file finder. Also look at the Startup tool. Here you can stop memory hogging Just-in-case apps from running.

A great place to find the best free malware scrubbed applications is:

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Just use the free version, check off the apps you want, D/L and install. (Excellent method to try stuff out.)

A great source for reviews on freeware:

Gizmo's Freeware

AntiVirus for Win 8.1 (Defender, free from Microsoft) is quite adequate for that type of protection. Combined with regular scanning by the free version of Malwarebytes you should have no worries. You get the full version for 14 days then you can revert it to the free version. Just UPDATE not UPGRADE.

I exclusively use free Windows software. I have found that no paid application has any feature that I cannot find a free substitute. (if you have a need for a particular tool just ask, I've tried them all.)

Last edited by SFSkol; 07-15-2018 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spell'in
Old 07-15-2018, 10:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
CrapCleaner (now CCleaner) is a phenomenal free tool for regular PC maintenance. It also includes a formidable registry cleaner and duplicate file finder.

A great place to find the best free malware scrubbed applications is:

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Just use the free version, check off the apps you want, D/L and install. (Excellent method to try stuff out.)

AntiVirus for Win 8.1 (Defender) is quite adequate for that type of protection. Combined with regular scanning by the free version of Malwarebytes you should have no worries. Yoy get the full version for 14 days then you can revert it to the free version. Just UPDATE not UPGRADE.
I forgot about ninite. I used that a lot at work too along with ghost. I was too lazy and suspicious to upgrade to 10. Looks like that might have saved me.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, disk, time, times, reset

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.