Computer Help?

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Default Computer Help?

We have a laptop that had water spilled on it. Won't boot up - beeps twice quickly, pauses and continues to beep twice every few seconds.

Any suggestions on how to fix or recommendations to where to take to repair.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

First, you should NOT put any power on the laptop. Water will not hurt the laptop, if it isn't powered on.

Wait for the laptop to dry out, probably a couple weeks and then try it again.

It's possible that you have already damaged the laptop by powering it on.

I don't have a recommendation for a repair person, but there a lot of folks on here that can recommend someone, if you need them.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

Agree with above. One last thing to try before taking it in for service checks (if its a 2011 or later Mac or 2013-4 or later PC: Remove battery and place it into a plastic sealable bag and add a couple of cups of uncooked dry rice into same bag. Seal it and place it into somewhere warm, sunlight is good or or your oven can hold a temp of 100-120 degrees--place plastic on asbestos pad, or if you have a heated blanket, wrap it around--leave it like that for a couple of days.

Then check the rice--if some have begun to swell--that's good sign. if a lot of the rice swells, replace rice and maintain procedure, otherwise try it again after 3 days--first with battery and then if ok with power cord. Note if charging device got wet--treat it the same way.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie32 View Post
We have a laptop that had water spilled on it. Won't boot up - beeps twice quickly, pauses and continues to beep twice every few seconds.

Any suggestions on how to fix or recommendations to where to take to repair.
Varies by computer, but quite often a double-beep signifies badly-seated memory. Most laptops are easily-accessible to add memory, so follow on-line instructions, remove memory (dry off if necessary) and reseat firmly.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Gold member

The beeps you are hearing are BIOS POST codes. It can mean anything from memory failure to video circuit failure. Here is a link to look up your error code. Since you powered up after spilling water on it you probably have done some damage.

Post Code Master - PC BIOS Power On Self Test POST Codes & Diagnostic Beep Codes
Old 03-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Sage

What is the make, model and OS [windows 7 or 8]?
Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 AM

Thanks to all for your replies, the computer is a Dell Inspiron 14R with Windows 7.

As I am not that computer literate, I am looking for help to transfer files to another computer. Looking for reputable person or company that would be able to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:13 AM

I highly recommend The Villages PC Repair and computer technician John Davis

We called The Villages PC Repair on Saturday morning, Angelo was very secure in saying that our information could be retrieved from our hard drive, he would have someone call us back to set up a appointment. Within 1/2 an hour John Davis called, we set up a time that very day. John was very knowledgeable, worked quickly and explained everything he was doing as he went along. He was able to retrieve everything from our hard drive and transfer it to another other laptop. The fee was very reasonable.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Very happy you saved your data. One last thing about the rice. Save the used rice just add evaporated milk & raisins while the rice is still warm and serve tonight for dessert.

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

If either of you would like any help, we can help with water damage and transfer data for you. You can call us at 352-435-7822 and we can give you guys an estimate for the work, or you can bring the computers in and we can give you a diagnostic.
(Office) 352-460-1155
(Store) 205 W. North Blvd (441), Leesburg, Fl. 34748
(Website) http://www.ComputerCornerFL.com
Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Sage

Does anyone know an Ad Blocker website they can recommend that is safe and secure?

I often go to pet websites to look at pictures and read stories.
Suddenly, I am getting horrid pictures of tortured animals and blinded bunnies, animals used in lab experiments.
The pictures seem to be on the right-hand side of any website I visit, they are always there.
The animals change, but they are always tortured and they are always graphic and awful.
I suppose it is a fund-raising effort by one of the websites I visited.
I see them on my laptop where I use Avast Anti Virus, the one you pay for, not the free one. I don't see them on my iPad.

I'm thinking that an ad blocker may block the pictures. If anyone knows another solution, please tell me. The pictures are very upsetting.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Default Try AdBlock Plus (for Firefox browser)

If you're using Firefox for your browser, Use AdBlock Plus. At the top toolbar of any Firefox page, click Tools> Add-Ons> Get Add-Ons (or Extensions) I have used it for years. You'll wonder why you've been watching all those ads when you don't need to.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.