Computer problem

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Can you run programs on Chromebooks like Quicken, Turbo Tax, do spreadsheets and word processing?
For spreadsheets, you use Google Docs and Google Sheets. Can probably use Microsoft's on-line versions of their products. You can not install Turbo Tax but TT also has an on-line offering in the cloud which you run on their servers via a browser. This model seems to be the trend for the future. I think there is a similar online offering for Quicken.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanks did all that you suggested. It’s over at You Break We Fix. I think it is a virus and they to clean it all up
Old 03-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstenon View Post
Thanks did all that you suggested. It’s over at You Break We Fix. I think it is a virus and they to clean it all up
That's the thing about viruses, someone has to get it before someone can remove it. With the chromebook, you don't get a virus for two reasons 1) It's a very small market and, like Apple, it's not worth their time to try and create one, 2) there is not anywhere to put the virus, the operating system, is locked down. The first thing that happens when you turn the chromebook on is that it checks that you have a clean version of the operating system. If, for whatever reason, it detects something, it returns you to the previous version and downloads a new one.

BTW, you never see the downloads or updates as they happen in the background.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Sage

This sounds like something my husband would be happy with, as long as it could connect with a 27" monitor and a separate desktop keyboard, two "must have essentials."

Last edited by Carla B; 03-25-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Forgot an essential
Old 03-25-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
This sounds like something my husband would be happy with, as long as it could connect with a 27" monitor and a separate desktop keyboard, two "must have essentials."
You can get a so-called ChromeBox and attach it to your existing keyboard and monitor. It's basically a ChromeBook with no screen and keyboard.

This article at AndroidCentral is worth a read.
--
Bob C
Old 03-26-2018, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

I'm very happy to see people speak up about the chromebook and chromebox, too many people poo poo it as just a browser with a keyboard. As you can see it can do much more and safely.
Can you buy a "real" laptop for the same money, yes you can, but that "real" laptop comes with many things you don't want. Things like a very bloated operating system, the need for virus and malware protection, updates that take over your PC at inconvenient times. There are Windows programs that do not run on chromebooks, but there online programs that can do mostly the same thing such as MINT in place of Quicken.
The programing world is going online, even Microsoft offers their suite on-line.
One thing to think about is that the EUA gives Microsoft the right to ALL your data on your PC to do whatever they want with it, you can not disable it. You can read the EUA.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Back on topic, OP if you do a search on Google, you will get this result: OH well I cannot paste result??

Do a Google search on PRO PC, PRO PC Cleaner will show up, the second result is how to REMOVE from Adaaware, hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Sage

This guide contains advanced information, but has been written in such a way so that anyone can follow it. Please ensure your data is backed up before proceeding.

If you are uncomfortable making changes to your computer or following these steps, do not worry! Instead you can get free one-on-one help by asking in the forums.

Back on topic.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I would save what is important on another hard drive or in the cloud. Then I would erase everything and reinstall the operating system or buy a chromebook.
I am curious...why a Chromebook?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:45 PM
Sage

I use to get this from friends and family.

"The computer takes 10 minutes to start up."

"The printer won't print"

"I think I have a virus."

"How do I look at the photos you sent me?"

"I can't find the file I downloaded."

"I think I have a virus."

My advice: Forget the traditional Windows-powered desktop or laptop. It's overkill, especially considering the relatively modest needs of some users, and modern PCs are still fraught with the kinds of issues identified above.

Consider what some need or want from a computer. Email. Web access. Facebook and YouTube. Maybe a simple word processor.

You know what some don't need? Drivers. Viruses and malware. Blue Screens of Death. And all the little idiosyncrasies that plague Windows users, novice and expert alike. (Examples? The sign-in screen. File associations. Windows updates. And don't get me started on Settings vs. Control Panel.)

OK, boot times tend to be shorter, especially if the system has a solid-state drive instead of a hard drive, but Windows always gets slower over time. Always.

All this adds up to my recommendation: Instead of steering some to a new PC, steer them to a Chromebook or a tablet and keyboard.

The Chromebook option
These are the advantages:

They boot quickly.
They're effectively impervious to viruses (though not phishing).
Generally speaking, they're very inexpensive -- usually anywhere from $200-400 depending on size and features.
Voice commands: You can say "OK, Google" from the launcher to invoke Google's voice-powered assistant.
Tight integration with everything Google: Gmail, Drive, Calendar and so on. That means any document created in, say, Google Docs is automatically archived to Drive. It's like full-time, automatic backup for nearly everything the user does.

I need a PC and a Chromebook. 99% of the time I use the Chromebook but the PC is like an old pick-up truck that is nice to have around just in case. I don't write very well so I borrowed the above from C/Net and took some liberties deleting patronizing language.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Here is very good article on the security of the chromebook from C/Net

Google Chromebooks fight malware, get security experts' approval - CNET
Old 04-04-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Been using a Chromebook for years now. I use it 99.99% of the time. Safe, Simple, Secure.
I'd be glad to list all the computers and operating systems I've use over the past 50 (yes 50) years but I would need a lot of space.
Chromebook does everything I need it to do.
You are aware that quite a lot of sites online now use the Android APK to run bit coin mining tools on google products.
If not, you should really get up to speed on security for your product.

FWIW, I was a former DARPA contractor and worked on developing encrypted networks for several projects.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's one of the features you will like. I have an Acer R11 Chromebook. Just use it as a laptop or an Android [like your smartphone or Ipad] Device. At home you can plug in a keyboard, surround sound speakers or headphones and any monitor that has an hdmi plug. Take a look.

Acer Chromebook R 11 | Laptops - The Chromebook that bends over backwards | Acer

Buy directly from Acer. $179 plus free shipping

Chromebook | Acer

good luck
send it back if he doesn;t like it
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, loading, pro, stops, cleaner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.