Computer Security

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
A chromebook never gets a virus. Apple is very good at sending out an update when they find a virus, but, the point is someone has to get the virus first.
Chromebooks check the operating system when you first turn it on. If it's not what they left you with, they put you back one version and download a new version. You never even know this is happening as it all automatic and there is no waiting for downloads or updates.
I've used everything from PCs (including Apple II) to IBM mainframes, I now use the chromebook 99.9% of the time.
What brand of chromebook do you recommend?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
What brand of chromebook do you recommend?
I had a Chromebook that a poster on here Tomwed convinced me to buy and it served us well but it got legs on the move to Florida. When we got here I bought an HP $300 laptop from Walmart because I was trying to cut corners and have been unhappy with it ever since. I really think its because I am not comfortable with Windows 10. I am better off with an Apple even if it costs more it is ready to go when you need it. I had to take my 7-year-old iMac to the Altamonte Springs store because I had a snafu after an update and they sold me an external backup that plugs into my machine so if the same problem ever occurred again I could fix it my self. They carted my computer from the parking lot into the store, repaired and returned it to my car for free. Oh, they told me don't run Norton anymore. Apple is the way to go but it isn't cheap.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 AM
Sage

Hi Nucky,
How are you?
It's been a year since I dropped in. I searched my name---and found this thread.

I bought an Acer Chromebook model R11. I paid $140 and bought it in the scratch and dent department on the Acer site. Within a year the battery died and I'm shopping for one now. It fell and the touch screen stopped working. And the mic was not very good at picking up my voice from day 1. I was too lazy to send it back when it was under warranty. What I like about it is that besides running Chrome it also runs Android like my Smart Phone. I can download apps. I still think it's great and at that price point it's a disposable. As someone else said you can't get a virus and I'm used to storing 99% on-line. I have 4gb of RAM. I would not get any less. Take a look.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:42 AM
Sage

I've not had a problem in over 10 years with Norton Utilities and I am on a lot.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Hi Nucky,
How are you?
It's been a year since I dropped in. I searched my name---and found this thread.

I bought an Acer Chromebook model R11. I paid $140 and bought it in the scratch and dent department on the Acer site. Within a year the battery died and I'm shopping for one now. It fell and the touch screen stopped working. And the mic was not very good at picking up my voice from day 1. I was too lazy to send it back when it was under warranty. What I like about it is that besides running Chrome it also runs Android like my Smart Phone. I can download apps. I still think it's great and at that price point it's a disposable. As someone else said you can't get a virus and I'm used to storing 99% on-line. I have 4gb of RAM. I would not get any less. Take a look.
Glad to hear from you tomwed, hope all is well with you. Living here turned out to be fantastic and I never got a chance to thank you for your help with good info in making the big move easier.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any Chromebook but as you pointed out I looked at mine as disposable, it was cheap.

Take Care tomwed, good to hear from you.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, security, avg?024, defender, windows10

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.