Computer Security

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Comcast users can get free Norton Internet Security Suite (aka Constant Guard) download. Highly rated, works in the background & does maintenance stuff, too.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Which computer security is better, Windows10 Defender or AVG?
There's a school of thought that it is wise to minimize the number of add on packages you install, as all software has latent bugs that can lead to hacking vulnerabilities. If you agree, then your answer is just use what is built-in to Windows. Windows Defender has evolved into a reasonably capable feature. I used ESET nod32 anti-virus for many years but recently switched to Windows Defender because I've bought into the minimalist philosophy.
--
Bob C
Old 12-06-2017, 03:09 PM
fw102807

I am not a very big fan of Microsoft. Every other release of the OS is buggy and untested and when the public is done beta testing for them they release a more stable version. I think IE is bloated and disliked Bing. I hated the fact that they made Office 2010 so that it was no one could open a docx or xlsx unless they bought the upgrade. So pretty much I wouldn't trust their antivirus, since they totally dumped Microsoft Security Essentials when they launched Windows Defender.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Your data is encrypted on the cloud with Google, you can make your own copy via a thumb drive.

The hackers would have to get to Google servers to get to their OS code, never happen.

The chromebook may not be for everyone (just like Apple or Microsoft), but, like I said, I use it 99.9% of the time.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Your data is encrypted on the cloud with Google, you can make your own copy via a thumb drive.

The hackers would have to get to Google servers to get to their OS code, never happen.

The chromebook may not be for everyone (just like Apple or Microsoft), but, like I said, I use it 99.9% of the time.
Your points are valid but never say never. The Google cloud being hacked is not beyond the realm of possibility and having your data there means you can only access it with an internet connection which could be inconvenient for some. To access on a thumb drive makes it slow. People can encrypt their data on their own machines but are either not technically capable or lazy. I already said in a previous post that I am not a fan of Microsoft or Apple either. My next computer will be Linux.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
You may want to check out Avast, too.

I have used AVG for years, but several times its updates have knocked out my web browsing and I have had to "wind back" to an earlier version. And it now has daily pop-ups which can be annoying.
AVAST twice blocked my firewall as a result of chnages they were making and so i cancelled my subscription they ignored it and charged me for one year. I contested it with my credit card company and won
Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

OK, maybe never was a little strong, how about almost never?
Yes, Linux is very secure, but like I said, 99% of the people in The Villages are not very computer savy, for them the chromebook would be a very good computer.
They are using a computer mostly for Email, reading new articles etc. not saving data.
The biggest problem most people have with their computers is keeping up with updates, something you never have to worry about with chromebook. IT JUST WORKS!
For the more computer savy there is Apple, Microsoft and, of course, Linux.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:19 AM
fw102807

Quote:
OK, maybe never was a little strong, how about almost never?
Yes, Linux is very secure, but like I said, 99% of the people in The Villages are not very computer savy, for them the chromebook would be a very good computer.
They are using a computer mostly for Email, reading new articles etc. not saving data.
The biggest problem most people have with their computers is keeping up with updates, something you never have to worry about with chromebook. IT JUST WORKS!
For the more computer savy there is Apple, Microsoft and, of course, Linux.
Yes, I agree with this.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 PM

If you subscribe thru Comcast, you can get Norton Security Suite free.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:00 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsettl View Post
If you subscribe thru Comcast, you can get Norton Security Suite free.
Nortons is a memory hog.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:09 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Nortons is a memory hog.
True
Old 01-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Which computer security is better, Windows10 Defender or AVG?
People will always have opinions on this.

Here is a link to a web site for professionals that independently rate the scanners. Think of it as a consumer reports for virus scanners.

Virus Bulletin :: Latest RAP Quadrant

Those are the current ratings and explanation of their testing methods.

I use Avast without all the extras removed for a nice, lightweight scanner on my personal machine, but you may like another.

Jim
Old 01-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

I just converted a Window 7 PC to Linux Mint 18.3. It wasn't very hard, but I never worked with Linux, only Unix back in the '80s.

I'll play with Linux for a while, just to see if I like it. But, I still use my Chromebook 99.9% of the time (which is Linux based, but you don't get stuck in linux stuff).
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I just converted a Window 7 PC to Linux Mint 18.3. It wasn't very hard, but I never worked with Linux, only Unix back in the '80s.

I'll play with Linux for a while, just to see if I like it. But, I still use my Chromebook 99.9% of the time (which is Linux based, but you don't get stuck in linux stuff).
I prefer the Mint MATE version with the Gnome desktop. Easiest to get to look / work / feel like Windows.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I thought it was a very simple question about 2 security programs.
It was Biker Dog. I agree with SFSkol above, use Windows Defender (free with Windows 10) with MalwareBytes. The free version of MalwareBytes is good but you must do scans manually. The paid version $39 per year runs constantly to protect your machine and does not noticeably slow you down.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, security, avg?024, defender, windows10

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.