Computer Speed

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Default Computer Speed

I have a new HP desktop (couple of months old). Over the last week, it has been very pokey. When I type, there is hesitation before the letters appear. I could type 3 words before a letter appears and then all 3 words pop up.
When I hit "new post" for this question, it took 6 full seconds before the box appeared to type my Title.
Scrolling has been very slow.
On FaceBook when I type "share", the wheel keeps churning and churning.
None of the above happens all the time but enough to drive me crazy.
Keyboard plugged in OK.
My Centurylink speeds are:
36.24 Mbps Download
6.16 Mbps Upload

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
My Centurylink speeds are:
36.24 Mbps Download
6.16 Mbps Upload

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
We also have Century Link and have found that the speeds are inconsistent. During the peak periods we are getting nowhere near this.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
When I type, there is hesitation before the letters appear. I could type 3 words before a letter appears and then all 3 words pop up.
Is this only while on the internet, or when using other programs such as Word or Excel?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 AM
Default Computer Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Is this only while on the internet, or when using other programs such as Word or Excel?
I just checked and Libre Office (word) is working fine at this moment. I will check again later. Thank you for responding.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:10 AM
fw102807

You can use this link to check your actual speed

https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Old 09-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

My mother-in-laws husband kept finding that his computers would get bogged down after a while. Turns out he says "Yes" to every toolbar offer that pops up while browsing. His browser was so full of toolbars that you could hardly see the content. Many of these were running processes in the background of which he was completely unaware. He hooked up with some online repair service (they remotely took control of his PC with his permission) and rooted out all that crap and it was like he got a new PC. Unfortunately, he's not very technical despite loving new technology and he's probably let it get full of junk yet again.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I just checked and Libre Office (word) is working fine at this moment.
If it's just while on the internet then try emptying your browser's cache. Process differs according to which one you are using, but should find it as a menu item, maybe under "Options".

I use ccleaner (free download) to clear up my computer on a regular basis. Others recommend Malwarebytes and Iolo.

And don't forget to run defrag on a regular basis, too, although I don't think that will help with the problem you're currently having.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Default Computer Speed

First thing I did when this started happening was run:
Avast, Malware Bytes, Spyware Blaster, cc Cleaner, Glary Utilities and Defragger.
Didn't change a thing.
Will have to look into emptying cache. Have no idea what and where that is. But will start looking. Thanks.

P.S. My web content cache is currently 435 KB of disc space.

Last edited by Bryant; 09-11-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Update info
Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM

Using your link, results were quite different:
14.7 Mbps download
6.1 Mbps upload

Face Book is ridiculously S L O W !!

Last edited by Bryant; 09-11-2017 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Insert more info
Old 09-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
First thing I did when this started happening was run:
Avast, Malware Bytes, Spyware Blaster, cc Cleaner, Glary Utilities and Defragger.
Didn't change a thing.
Will have to look into emptying cache. Have no idea what and where that is. But will start looking. Thanks.

P.S. My web content cache is currently 435 KB of disc space.
ccleaner will have emptied the cache for you - the 435kb is just what you have accumulated subsequently

Are you running any anti-virus software? I used AVG Free and my internet slowed to a crawl after an automatic update. I now use Avast Free and that fixed my speed problem.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 PM

I use Avast Free as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I have Century Link since 2011 and pay for 10 mbps service and I just tested my computer using that speakeasy site, came back with 10.2. It's usually very close to 10, so I have slower speed than you with the same IPS but yet my system is running normal and is plenty fast for me.

I had a problem a couple of years ago and it was with TOTV, someone had put a bug on this site and anyone with Century Link couldn't get on the site. I thought it was my computer as many others did as well. I contacted Malware Bites through an email and a troubleshooter worked with me for 3 days to try and fix the problem. Eventually after the bug went away and so many others posted the same problem here, we realized it was an internet problem and not a computer problem. However Malmware Bites made me a believer, the amount of time that tech put in with me was really a lot.

Here is one other thing you can do, and it with Century Link. About 3 years ago I couldn't get on my computer, it was asking for a password and I don't use a password, so I was stopped right there. I called Century Link and they said we have tech support for $15 a month. I hesitated and then the tech said, just go ahead and sign up and we'll fix your problem and then you can cancel tomorrow. That's just what I did. I said put me on the service, I gave him control of the computer and I could see them remotely operate my system and the cursor moved around and after about 10 minutes, they said problem fixed. The next day I called and cancelled the service and on my next bill there wasn't even $1 added.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM
fw102807

Networking is what I did for a living. All of these suggestions are valid and there are many other reasons for this as well. However, that being said, my experience with Century Link is that the speeds are very inconsistent depending on the network load at the time. Also suspect is their wi-fi routers we have needed to have ours replaced. Viruses, malware and redundant apps can also cause a problem. As far as the free anti-virus I believe you get what you pay for but that is MHO.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I use Avast Free as well.
That was my last shot :-(

I have found that the tested speed is not always a good indicator of "actual" speed, not that that helps you.

Good luck, and keep trying!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
That was my last shot :-(

I have found that the tested speed is not always a good indicator of "actual" speed, not that that helps you.

Good luck, and keep trying!
This is very true but it's a start.
Closed Thread

Tags
type, mbps, words, churning, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.