Computer store help

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2020, 10:22 PM
Default Computer store help

I am looking to buy a new computer? Is there anybody that can nform me of really great deals on a new computer besides here in the local area? Thanks in advance for your recommendations....Looking for windows 10.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

You're about six weeks too late. This is a great computer, the speed is fantastic. I bought it during the Black Friday Sales at Best Buy. The entire Thanksgiving week it was $499. Big 24" touch screen, AMD Ryzen 3-Series processor with 8GB Memory. It's an all in one, but really the computer is in a small box at the base of the monitor stand. It's now regular price of $729. I would check out Best Buy website and read reviews and see if the store has what you like in stock. Compare prices against Amazon and other online stores.

The Villages Florida

Best Buy Website
Old 01-09-2020, 05:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

There is a store called Refresh Computers in Longwood, Florida. You can check out their computers at refreshcomputers.net. They have a call in radio show every week, and they seem to know everything about computers.

Locally, there is Best Buy, Staples, Walmart, and Sam's Club. I like Sam's because of their 90 day return policy. I would also check the Costco website, and they also have a 90 day return policy.

I recently bought a high end HP desktop from Amazon for 900 dollars. But, you can buy almost anything from Amazon.

You can also order a computer directly from HP or Dell. The advantage is that you can customize it.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-09-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

First thing is to think about how you are going to use a computer. If all you do is surf the web, email, FB, a document or two, maybe a spreadsheet, you don't use Photoshop or any Windows programs you need to download, then you have at least 2 very good alternatives: Chromebook or Linux.

Let me explain:

Chromebook - Anything you do online, you can do on a Chromebook. You never get a virus, it does not bother you with the "Please Wait While We Download/Update" message. Updates are done in the background and install (without interference) when you reboot. The battery life is 8-10 hours, all you documents are backed up on the web. You can read Windows Word and Excel into Chrome and save them as as Docs and Sheets (and save them back, if you want). After 50 years of computer experience, I've been use the Chromebook for the past 10 for most of my computing needs.

Linux - This is a free and open source operating system. You can download it and use it for free, the version I use is Mint, which I feel is the most Windows-ish, so it's easy to learn. You can load it on most older computers and they will feel almost new. There a thousands of programs (most are free) that can replace Windows programs, like Photoshop with GIMP. It is as close to impossible to get a virus as getting hit by lighting and eaten by a shark at the same time. There are updates (like any good system), but it is up to you to run them (or not).

I'll be at the workshop at the Eisenhower Rec Center Monday, January 13th at 1PM. If you wish to see eiterh the Chromebook or Linux Mint.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosbestus View Post
I am looking to buy a new computer? Is there anybody that can nform me of really great deals on a new computer besides here in the local area? Thanks in advance for your recommendations....Looking for windows 10.
The first thing you need to do is qualify your request. Desktop? Laptop? Then things like screen size come into play. The next question is: What are you going to do with it? Just browse and email? Photoshop and video editing?

All of these go into help you find the right solution.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:03 PM

I am mostly in chatrroms like this , emails, using chrome and internet eplorer, not into documents, office, etc. I do stream football and basketball games at time. I may eventually look at streaming tv shows with firestick etc.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
I am mostly in chatrroms like this , emails, using chrome and internet eplorer, not into documents, office, etc. I do stream football and basketball games at time. I may eventually look at streaming tv shows with firestick etc.
I think you may be confused. You don't need a firestick to stream TV shows when using a computer. But, any live streaming on a computer may require a more expensive computer. I think you need to consult with someone who can advise you on what you really need.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think you may be confused. You don't need a firestick to stream TV shows when using a computer. But, any live streaming on a computer may require a more expensive computer. I think you need to consult with someone who can advise you on what you really need.
I can't think of any PC sold new in the last 3 years that can't stream TV. In fact, the laptop that I use is 8 years old and streams TV just fine.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
I can't think of any PC sold new in the last 3 years that can't stream TV. In fact, the laptop that I use is 8 years old and streams TV just fine.
I agree. But, if you are buying a computer today, I would get at least 8 GB of RAM for Windows 10 and basic computing tasks. And, I don't even think a firestick will work with a computer because it needs an HDMI input. Most computers may have an HDMI output for the monitor, but no HDMI input.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage

Buy an iPad.

Quote:
Old 01-09-2020, 06:27 PM

Try MMD computers on 441 south of 466 have great service and sells new machines
Old 01-09-2020, 06:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashes View Post
Try MMD computers on 441 south of 466 have great service and sells new machines
Are you sure they are still in business? I went there a few weeks ago, and the place was not open.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:46 AM

I use Computer Central for all my needs. Joe Maggio researched & advised me what laptop to purchase from Amazon. He charges $50/hr and comes to your house to set up new computer and transfer all your files. No standing in line in a crowded store talking to some kid. If you use MS office, you will probably have to buy a new suite of programs. 352-314-3855, joe@computercentralfl.com
Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 AM

I've been using "David Moore the Florida PC Doctor" for YEARS. He is very good and can fix anything. He advised me on my new PC a few years back and saved me BIG and then when it arrived he came out moved everything over to the new PC and I was up and working perfect. But like a few of the others said you need to know what you use your pc for. He can remote in which I would not let just anyone do with all the "STUFF" I access, (banking, personal emails, bills, etc. ) and this saves not only a trip charge but gets me back up and out of trouble fast with NO WORRIES. Here's his site, or just google David Moore the Florida PC Doctor.
https://www.flpcdr.com/[/URL]

Happy PCing.
Dotty A
Old 01-10-2020, 08:02 AM

Try going to the computer clubs in TV, like the Apple clubs and Windows/PC clubs and see what people are doing. Sounds like you're needs are not very big and maybe something like a tablet/iPad might do just fine. Long battery life, no virus, portability, etc
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, advance, recommendations, deals, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.