Computer Virus Warning

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't installed any anti-virus or other software on my computers. I use Windows 11 on a laptop and a desktop. I have had no issues. I did get one of those screen warnings in the past, but I just rebooted the computer and it went away. I think that if it's not broken, don't fix it.
You still have Windows defender. That has been improved so much it is on par with today's AV products. And its free
Old 05-13-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO Norton and defender couldn’t catch rainwater with bucket! They don’t even catch adware. But, I suspect they are probably programmed to let adware through? I suspect the get paid on both ends.

I use superantispyware after Norton let malware through and had junk computer.
Norton is AV so is Windows Defender. Malware and Adware is a totally different beast and is not covered by AV programs. It's my professional experience to use MalwareBytes. That said, neither of these address viruses, but these days more attacks occur from malware than viruses.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

People using Chromebooks or Linux don't have to worry about getting a virus. Chromebook CAN'T get a virus and Linux is VERY VERY unlikely to get one (especially if you keep up with updates).
Old 05-13-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Windows 11 (not sure about 10, but I think it) provides you with a Microsoft anti-virus that also provides live browsing protection (assuming you have it turned on). It is one of the best in the industry - and it is free. Malwarebytes provides an excellent addition to it, as others have said above. I recommend the premium version, but the free version does work.

NO antivirus is 100% effective, the best you can hope for is about 50% to 60%. So, safe browsing is a really good idea.

And yes, you did the right thing - when you hit one of those sites, don't even try to close the window - just power down.
I agree that the Windows anti-virus (Windows Defender) is the best available. No need to buy anything else. In fact some commercial anti-virus creates problems.

However, I doubt that your problem was actually a virus. I suspect it was a browser popup created by malware on a website you are visiting. These messages are trying to get you to call “the helpline” so that they can sell you some fake computer service in order to get your banking info or install a virus on your computer.

As mentioned previously, force a reboot on your pc and then run Windows Defender. Then clear your browser history and cache.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Was searching for an Appliance user instruction online when computer locked up and announced that it was infected with a virus and warned that I should call such and such a number. Warning stated that I should not turn off the computer and all indications were that I lost all access to control of the computer screen ie could not access settings power off.

I used the computer external shutoff which worked. Restarted and no further issues that I know of. Current security systems show no infections.

What is happening? Is this simply a way to get you to call and give someone control or extort money?
That's called ransomware. You caught it in time. I recommend you get ccleaner (the free version), malwarebytes (the free version), and make sure your computer security suite (windows defender or whatever software you've chosen such as Norton, for example), especially virus definitions, is up to date. If you have Windows Defender make sure it is operating every moment that your computer is turned on, and updates itself automatically.

Run ccleaner, then run malwarebytes. You do -not- need to keep either of them running all the time, but if you choose not to, definitely run them once a month.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Malwarebytes Browser Guard crushes unwanted and unsafe content, giving you a safer and faster browsing experience. Not only that, it is the world’s first browser extension that can identify and stop tech support scams.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard - Blocks ads, scams, and trackers

I have Malware Bytes installed on my computer and have considered the extension for Chrome. I clicked on the link you provided with the intent to download and got a warning message that said Warning- it could change all the data on my websites?
I highly recommend that you have someone help you understand more about your computer's operating system.

That warning is -usually- your Windows OS telling you that you're about to download an executable file that will actually DO something once it opens. It will install onto your computer, and add a few lines to your registry. If it's something you know that you're doing on purpose, from a reputable company, then you're fine - you actually want it to do that.

If you don't know if that's what you're trying to do, you probably shouldn't do it, and ask a computer technician to help you do it and show you step by step what it is that you're doing (so you can know for the next time you need to do something like that).
Old 05-13-2022, 07:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Some good advice stated here on PC security, good job people
Old 05-14-2022, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I highly recommend that you have someone help you understand more about your computer's operating system.

That warning is -usually- your Windows OS telling you that you're about to download an executable file that will actually DO something once it opens. It will install onto your computer, and add a few lines to your registry. If it's something you know that you're doing on purpose, from a reputable company, then you're fine - you actually want it to do that.

If you don't know if that's what you're trying to do, you probably shouldn't do it, and ask a computer technician to help you do it and show you step by step what it is that you're doing (so you can know for the next time you need to do something like that).
Most people don't want to be computer experts, they just want to use it. Chromebooks are easy and safe. I've programmed computers before PCs. I got a Chromebook in 2010 and never looked back. The last version of Windows I used was 7. I don't need any special Windows programs.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

its called an injection virus, which injects a new web address prior to going to the requested web site. FYI, there are drive by viruses which don't need to be clicked on or have any user interaction to go after the stored password files from your browser. Its not as simple as use this or that. Also, crooks are going after two factor authentication to get at your financial accounts. My daughter works for apple, and says alot of it is international. VPN is much more helpful, but not perfect either.

FYI, do not save any financial password in your browser files. There are a recent identity theft in our family when someone purchased a new car and had to unlock the frozen credit bureau files. Do not save any password files in any MS office files as that is by far the most common files which people use. I save all password files in programming files in other seldom used applications.

Malwarebytes is great, but always trying to keep up with crooks, who can change faster than you can update your malwarebytes files.

Even linux can get viruses, however, because the typical usage is not popular, crooks don't go after linux operating machines. I have a new solid state drive to try linux which is much safer, faster but requires learning new crap, which I don't have much time for at the moment.

Also, crooks are going after home hacking, which is the next big fun for hacking target. For this you need more router protection to prevent inbound penetration testing, even though you might not think there is anything they can get from the router, there is, and a place where general public knows less about.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
its called an injection virus, which injects a new web address prior to going to the requested web site. FYI, there are drive by viruses which don't need to be clicked on or have any user interaction to go after the stored password files from your browser. Its not as simple as use this or that. Also, crooks are going after two factor authentication to get at your financial accounts. My daughter works for apple, and says alot of it is international. VPN is much more helpful, but not perfect either.

FYI, do not save any financial password in your browser files. There are a recent identity theft in our family when someone purchased a new car and had to unlock the frozen credit bureau files. Do not save any password files in any MS office files as that is by far the most common files which people use. I save all password files in programming files in other seldom used applications.

Malwarebytes is great, but always trying to keep up with crooks, who can change faster than you can update your malwarebytes files.

Even linux can get viruses, however, because the typical usage is not popular, crooks don't go after linux operating machines. I have a new solid state drive to try linux which is much safer, faster but requires learning new crap, which I don't have much time for at the moment.

Also, crooks are going after home hacking, which his the next big fun for hacking target. For this you need more router protection to prevent inbound penetration testing, even though you might not think there is anything they can get from the router, there is, and a place where general public knows less about.
Thanks for this much needed information.

If people on a computer are anything like me, I know just enough to make me dangerous.

I just received my first I-phone this week from my son, and my head is still spinning
seeing all those apps.

He works from home for a large bank and very seasoned on cell phones and computers.

Some days I think I test his patience with my 81 yr. brain, God bless him
Old 05-14-2022, 04:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

The purpose of free malwarebytes extension is to prevent pop up in the first place
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, control, virus, call, access

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.