Computer Virus Warning

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2022, 08:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Computer Virus Warning

Was searching for an Appliance user instruction online when computer locked up and announced that it was infected with a virus and warned that I should call such and such a number. Warning stated that I should not turn off the computer and all indications were that I lost all access to control of the computer screen ie could not access settings power off.

I used the computer external shutoff which worked. Restarted and no further issues that I know of. Current security systems show no infections.

What is happening? Is this simply a way to get you to call and give someone control or extort money?
Old 05-12-2022, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Yes these crooks are getting more and more inventive
Old 05-12-2022, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Was searching for an Appliance user instruction online when computer locked up and announced that it was infected with a virus and warned that I should call such and such a number. Warning stated that I should not turn off the computer and all indications were that I lost all access to control of the computer screen ie could not access settings power off.

I used the computer external shutoff which worked. Restarted and no further issues that I know of. Current security systems show no infections.

What is happening? Is this simply a way to get you to call and give someone control or extort money?
Scam
Old 05-13-2022, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

You did exactly the right thing. Power off the computer.

It's a scam, designed to scare you into calling the number.

There are a number of different ways after that they try to either access your computer or get you to send them gift cards.

If you get an active browser protector, like malwarbytes, it will block sites that attempt that.

I've been an IT professional for 35+ years, I do incident response for Ransomware attacks and for a normal desktop windows user, Malwarebytes does a pretty good job. There are other tools as well.

The particular scam you ran across used to be a lot more common, and I have never seen any lasting issues from it, however, you need to do a good scan with some tool to make sure. Malwarebytes has a free version that will scan your computer. If you are using an older Mcafee, Symantec, Trend, Sophos or other anti-virus, it's time to update it to something with active browser protection.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:01 AM

control>alt>delete works too!
Old 05-13-2022, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSnow View Post
control>alt>delete works too!
Sometimes it doesn't. It'll spawn 2-3 other browser windows that maintain the warning screen. Kill one and one of the others will fire another one up. It's whack-a-mole at computer speed and you can't kill the tasks fast enough.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage

This suggestion is not going to help your current issue but may make your life easier in the future. Assuming you don't have specific requirements that can only be satisfied by a Windows-based system, you might want to consider a Chromebook or Chromebox in the future.

Quote:

Old 05-13-2022, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Fake website. Add a free malwarebytes extension to browser.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard crushes unwanted and unsafe content, giving you a safer and faster browsing experience. Not only that, it is the world’s first browser extension that can identify and stop tech support scams.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard - Blocks ads, scams, and trackers
Old 05-13-2022, 07:43 AM
Platinum member

Malwarebytes Browser Guard crushes unwanted and unsafe content, giving you a safer and faster browsing experience. Not only that, it is the world’s first browser extension that can identify and stop tech support scams.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard - Blocks ads, scams, and trackers[/QUOTE]

I have Malware Bytes installed on my computer and have considered the extension for Chrome. I clicked on the link you provided with the intent to download and got a warning message that said Warning- it could change all the data on my websites?
Old 05-13-2022, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't installed any anti-virus or other software on my computers. I use Windows 11 on a laptop and a desktop. I have had no issues. I did get one of those screen warnings in the past, but I just rebooted the computer and it went away. I think that if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Apple, no problems.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,042 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't installed any anti-virus or other software on my computers. I use Windows 11 on a laptop and a desktop. I have had no issues. I did get one of those screen warnings in the past, but I just rebooted the computer and it went away. I think that if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Been using Norton for years but good (computer expert) friend suggested we use Windows Defender instead and so far so good,
Old 05-13-2022, 02:08 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post

Malwarebytes Browser Guard - Blocks ads, scams, and trackers
I have Malware Bytes installed on my computer and have considered the extension for Chrome. I clicked on the link you provided with the intent to download and got a warning message that said Warning- it could change all the data on my websites?[/QUOTE]

It needs access to compare it to bogus website database. I have never gotten a tech pop up with paid malwarebytes in my lifetime
Old 05-13-2022, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Been using Norton for years but good (computer expert) friend suggested we use Windows Defender instead and so far so good,
IMO Norton and defender couldn’t catch rainwater with bucket! They don’t even catch adware. But, I suspect they are probably programmed to let adware through? I suspect the get paid on both ends.

I use superantispyware after Norton let malware through and had junk computer.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Windows 11 (not sure about 10, but I think it) provides you with a Microsoft anti-virus that also provides live browsing protection (assuming you have it turned on). It is one of the best in the industry - and it is free. Malwarebytes provides an excellent addition to it, as others have said above. I recommend the premium version, but the free version does work.

NO antivirus is 100% effective, the best you can hope for is about 50% to 60%. So, safe browsing is a really good idea.

And yes, you did the right thing - when you hit one of those sites, don't even try to close the window - just power down.
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, control, virus, call, access

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.