MAC vs PC

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 01:02 AM
Veteran member
Default MAC vs PC

PC just died. Looked at a MAC all-in-one (no tower). Any MAC owners that can tell me why I want MAC instead of pc?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:41 AM
Administrator

What do you do with a computer? What kind of work and functions?

Do you do anything that others rely upon you supplying them PC files, or are you on your own and free to do what you want?

Let's hear first about your specifications.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Platinum member

Hi mac9,
Tony's wise to ask your purposes, as a Mac can be a larger investment, both in time (to relearn the Mac way) and money. (they are generally more expensive)

I got a basic one when my last computer became troublesome, at my daughter's urging. I will preface this by saying I am not as much of a whiz at anything electronic as I would like to be:

For the first 9 months, I HATED it. It was very different to use and I couldn't accomplish the most basic of tasks without struggling. Arrgh! If it hadn't been so expensive, I'd have set it on fire. Truly.
They have stores with help centers. (they are packed with people like me) I was annoyed that they really HAD to provide help to many of us.... thought it kind of ridiculous, but I finally broke down and went there with my notebook of things I couldn't figure out. The experience wasn't as painful as I had imagined it would be, and it was free.
I realized that the people who developed this computer are a different breed from many of us and truly think in a different way. I started to think of it as a cool exercise in expanding my logic. Then it became fun.

Setting all this aside, the pluses for me are:
Macs don't get caught by most viruses and pop-ups. Most of those are designed for pc's.
They come with giant memories and rarely get overloaded.
They have lots of nifty helps already built in (once you can find them.)

The biggest downsides for me are:
No one but another Mac user can advise you.
If you buy any program, (like photoshop, for example) it must be a Mac version, because the steps will be different. I can't attend a computer class
anywhere, unless it is designed for Mac.

If you have the time and mind set to play for awhile, then go back to the Mac store and indulge in a class, or bring your questions, then Mac will be an acceptable choice.

If you need to use your computer for important tasks immediately and have no extended time to explore, it may not be what you want.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM

You will find people in both camps and diverse opinions. Here's mine. I have both a Mac and a PC (still running XP). I have used both kinds of computers for decades. Yes, there are some small user interface changes to learn if moving from a PC but...

Generally,
  • the Mac does not require you to understand what is happening underneath - you just use it to accomplish whatever it is that you are doing
  • as others have said, there are almost no viruses aimed at the Mac
  • there is freeware available that lets you edit and compose files in Microsoft Office formats. That is, you can have the equivalent of Powerpoint, Excel, Word on your Mac for free and the files are interchangeable with a PC. (NeoOffice)
  • applications are well integrated on the Mac so accomplishing your task can be much more straightforward.
  • if you are into photographs, the basic applications that come with Mac are terrific.

Windows software has been attempting to catch up to Mac software on the user interface side for decades. Each new version gets closer and closer so a PC is not a bad choice either.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Default question of value

I would prefer a good notebook on a wireless network with a wireless printer so I can be in my easy chair or outside in the sun cruising the internet or TOTV. This could be less money than just a Mac.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

Tony, I do not have a business. I use the computer mainly for maintaining household and financial records, TOTV, and communicating with friends. I do use it for research for fine art sales which is a friend's business. I was considering a MAC because of the lesser chance of virus attacks as I had spyware, trojan and worm protection on my PC and still have been hit twice and incurred repair bills.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Sage
Cool Attempting to catch up for decades is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarrybarb View Post
....I have both a Mac and a PC (still running XP). I have used both kinds of computers for decades....

Windows software has been attempting to catch up to Mac software on the user interface side for decades.
Attempting to catch up with the Mac's trouble-free operating system is the core of the matter and has been for about 26 years.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

After years of dealing with Windows problems from being online, problems came to a head in Feb. when both of our computers were giving us serious troubles rendering them useless. (both were XP) We had had enough! We purchased a MacBook Pro in the middle of Feb. and have not regretted it one bit! The mousepad is awesome allowing you to scroll simply right on the pad as well as resize windows. We have been really happy with the switch, and although there are new things to learn you can get free one to one sessions at the Mac store for a year. We're through with Windows, and their "fixes"!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

I dumped windoze over 10 years ago and have not looked back. That being said, I'm told that windows 7 is not bad.

I'm the kind of guy who appreciates a well made product, and I'm willing to buy the best I can afford. I've found that in doing so I usually save money in the long run.

I just love using a mac. It is dozens of little things that add up to a well made product, both in hardware and software. Added to that is the good customer support. Added to that is the Mac community. Basically, it is what computers should have always been.

You who are Villagers are lucky that there is a Mac Users Group there. I'm told that it is one of the few groups that also allow Non-Villagers like myself to visit. I have not yet done that, but would very much like to some day. It is nice to know that if one does make the change to Mac, you have a local group of others who can and will help you. Awesome.

My first mac was a 17" G-4 Imac. A thing of beauty. It is over 10 years old. Believe it or not, it is my main desktop computer still this day. It is my wife's main computer. Works fine....(both the wife and the imac)..... Few windows computers can say that.

I usually use my newer macbookpro. Next week I'll be heading back down to our Florida home....perhaps I'll see some of you all.

Frank
Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
PC just died. Looked at a MAC all-in-one (no tower). Any MAC owners that can tell me why I want MAC instead of pc?
I've worked with PCs at work, in fact, was responsible for them. But, at home, I've always been a Mac gal. Why? Well, it's just easier, there's something intuitive about a Mac. Sure, if you're going from a PC to Mac, you have a learning curve, but believe me, it's not as steep as going from a Mac to a PC, lol. In fact, I find PC to be so confusing...but then, I did say I was a Mac gal, right?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Sage

I agree with Tony. If you already have a lot of PC software, you'll need to replace it if you get a Mac. (You can run a Mac as a PC, but then you'd have an expensive PC). If not, and you don't mind relearning and spending more, Macs are more cool.

I use both and find Windows 7 as good as Mac OS, but cheaper and more compatible for file sharing. PCs are easier to upgrade.

I wonder if all of the people who get computer viruses use free virus software? Just curious. I use Norton 360 and it's definitely not your momma's Norton, which was a resource hog and cumbersome. I never know Norton is there, but it automatically keeps my PC in tip top shape, such that it is as fast today as the day I got it. Unlike a lot of free programs, it doesn't seem to let viruses, spyware and other malware through.

Best of luck with whatever you decide and let us know.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Gold member
Default free tutorials available for MAC

for just about everything. Just go to Apple.com and look. I went to 2 or 3 of the free classes (the one-on-one are not free - that's an option you can buy for the first year if you choose) which sometimes helped, but really, just went because I thought it might be easier to have someone tell/show me instead of doing it myself. It really wasn't, but I am a visual learner. Actually easier for me to use the tutorials. Might be the other way around for an audio learner.

I don't see why anyone would need any photo program except the IPhoto it comes with. I did purchase the IWorks (came all together then - but you can buy them separately now). I have never used the Keynote (like Power Point), but then I never used the Power Point on my PC. I use Pages now and then, and Numbers (like Excel) quite a bit, only it is so much easier for the casual user, and if I would sit down and do the tutorials, would be even easier. I would forget the Excel tricks in between uses. Apple makes Numbers easy.

I no longer have a desktop and would never buy another. I had a PC laptop for 3 years, and am on my second year with my Macbook. The PC still works, just never use it anymore. I thought we would use both, but both of us are willing to wait for the other to finish up on the Macbook. No one wants to use the PC.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Default You might not need a "computer"

Mrs Snowbirdtobe has an iPad connected to a wireless printer.
She needs nothing else 99.9% of the time. Email, internet, boarding passes, grandkids photos etc.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Tony, I do not have a business. I use the computer mainly for maintaining household and financial records, TOTV, and communicating with friends. I do use it for research for fine art sales which is a friend's business. I was considering a MAC because of the lesser chance of virus attacks as I had spyware, trojan and worm protection on my PC and still have been hit twice and incurred repair bills.
If you're just doing things like web-surfing and financial records, then just get a PC, keep updated on your virus scans, and watch what you download. No need to spend over $1000 just to do basic stuff like that.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think if you do not have access to free help on a windows machine you should think about the MAC. I think of it as a machine for users who have to be self sufficient in keeping the machine running. As mentioned you can also go to the Apple store for help. You may have to pay for the help but you can get good help. I do not like to purchase extended warranties but on every MAC and Windows laptop I have purchased I did get the extended warranty and I did get my money's worth in using the warranty. I probably would not get a warranty on desk top computer, but I think the lap top is more usable.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.