COMPUTER WHIZES

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Default COMPUTER WHIZES

:dontknow: I need advice about my monitor. The screen goes up & down very rapidly where It's impossible to read anything. Also, when I am typing anything very often the screen goes back to my email. This has been happening for over 3 months now. It happens whether I'm on line or not. If anyone can put a finger on what is happening or needs more info, please let me know. If anyone on TOTV is taking a computer class that would be helpful as well. Your response & or resolution will be greatly appreciate. :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Default Re: COMPUTER WHIZES

My first guess would be the video card is going away...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Platinum member

Try taking your problem to the Computer Club. It meets every Friday afternoon at Hacienda Rec Center. After the presentation the gurus, who sit on stage, address all of our problems.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogeygolfer
My first guess would be the video card is going away...
I agree it looks like a video card.. and some virus' How old is your computer?
Do you have a virus scan? If not get one Norton or McAffee are good
Old 08-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like a virus. My wife just had a nasty one, a worm virus called Brave Sentry. Did strange things, some of which you describe. I second the recommendation to do a scan....we use Norton on our desktop...and my wife uses McAffee on her lap top and it still got infected. That said, I'd recommend Norton.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Eternal Member

MMD in Lady Lake might be able to help you. They have $$ of coupon in the Daily Sun at least once a week. They are about a 1/4 mile past 446 on the right handside as you head south on 27. They are right past the castle looking building.

But I do agree it does sound like the video card.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

The computer club gurus recommend AVG for virus protection and it is FREE. i have it and it updates every morning. You sould only have one virus proctor on your system.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 AM

NORTON 360 is very good...................

Also suggest you get http://www.pctools.com/spyware-docto...pyware-doctor/

FIXES resigters, link to nowhare.etc.. When I first ran it I had 468 errors including A Trojan Virus that Norton 360 did not catch
Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

I used Norton for about 6-7 years until the 2006 version. It became an incredible resource hog. I switched to AVG free edition and have been completely satisfied. All of my techie freinds still actively involved in computer systems design etc.use AVG free. That was enough endorsement for me. You cn find the download page by searching on AVG Free.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Veteran member

If you didn't have the problem 3 months ago first thing I would try is a System Restore, if you have WXP or Vista. You go to Start >programs> accessories > System tools > system restore then pick a date before you think you had the problem and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't you can restore back to the original date you had by using the same procedure. But remember if you installed any changes or software after the restore date you will have to reinstall them if the restore fixed the problem. If it didn't fix the problem and you restore back to your original date all you lost is some time but gained some experience.

If you don't have windows xp or vista you might want to think about a newer computer.

Good luck
Old 08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Taltarzac

Here is a link to the Villages Computer Club :bigthumbsup:, if you want to find out more information about them-- http://www.thevillagescomputerclub.com/

Link works-- checked December 29, 2007
Old 08-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet
Good luck
This is a little off topic, but--
isn't that a younger Bruce Campbell in your photo, Dadspet? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0132257/ If it isn't, he sure has a look-a-like?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

A computer tech advised us to use AVG and we have for several years. Firecracker, the video card does seem to be your issue....but then, I have very litte knowledge of these things. I don't know how old your computer is and I bet someone from the Computer Club can set you on the right path! :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This is a little off topic, but--
isn't that a younger Bruce Campbell in your photo, Dadspet? http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0132257/ If it isn't, he sure has a look-a-like?
WOW I didn't think anyone would recognize me ! ;D I had to go back to my profile options and check who I was - your right that me - OPS I mean thats him! If you see me dancing in the Square/Katti Bells , playing golf, tennis or flying my RC airplane, come over and say hi. I'll give you an autograph - free. Some think I look a "little" different in person.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet
WOW I didn't think anyone would recognize me ! ;D I had to go back to my profile options and check who I was - your right that me - OPS I mean thats him! If you see me dancing in the Square/Katti Bells , playing golf, tennis or flying my RC airplane, come over and say hi. I'll give you an autograph - free. Some think I look a "little" different in person.

Well, you are one handsome man, Dadspet? Why did they not let us choose George Clooney as a possible photograph for ourselve?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.