Delay In Printing

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofSnow View Post
I recently reinstalled my printer since it wasn't printing in color, even though all the settings were correct. That problem has been corrected, but now there is a significant delay once I hit the "print" option. After googling the issue, I went into the control panel and selected local ports. This has not corrected the issue. I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Thank you!
I have the same issue. The problem is the low quality "free" router from Comcast. It can't handle the data quickly. I have taken the "make a margarita and wait" advice.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
There is no issue with your printer, modem or router. It simply takes time for Apple, Google, IRS, NSA, Alexa, etc. to download your data before it prints. Do what I do. Given that I'm retired there's no urgent need for any printed documents. So, I hit the print button then I go into the kitchen and make myself a margarita (or two). If it still hasn't printed I then turn on an episode of Monk or House. The printing is usually done by then for some reason I feel relaxed instead of anxious. Hope this helps.
Really, no that's not true in most cases. You should be able to open a photograph on your browser, hit the print button, and have your printer immediately begin the printing process.

If that's not happening, then something is wrong. Your wifi signal might not be working, you might have an obsolete router, your internet speed might be too slow, or there might be something wrong with your printer, or there might be something wrong with your printer configuration.

I have no trouble printing out a 20-page PDF file, double-sided, with a photograph on two of the pages. It takes a couple of minutes to print out, but the print job begins within a couple of seconds of my clicking "print" on the adobe reader.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I recently reinstalled my printer since it wasn't printing in color, even though all the settings were correct. That problem has been corrected, but now there is a significant delay once I hit the "print" option. After googling the issue, I went into the control panel and selected local ports. This has not corrected the issue. I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue.

Thank you!
Computer tech here ... I don't think you have a problem. You think you have a problem because you got used to the faster printing in B/W mode. You probably had your preferences set to print in B/W before you did the reinstall. Had you known where to look, you could have changed it to print in color and not have done the reinstall. Reinstalling the drivers reset the settings to default (color output).

But, you got used to B/W print speeds and are making the assumption that the speed you experienced with B/W output is the standard to be expected for all output. That would be an incorrect assumption. Color output requires much more data to be sent to the printer and that is the reason for the delay. Short of using a faster connection, it is what it is. There is nothing to fix. And, you know what they say ... if it ain't broke ...

Want to test this? Print something in color and experience the delay. Now print the exact same document / photo / whatever except in the print dialog ... before click on "print" ... go to preferences and choose to print "grayscale". Then print it. Notice the faster response by the printer. Less data needed.
And, I'm not wearing the damn mask.
Majority doesn't rule here. My body, my choice. Get over it.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
Computer tech here ... I don't think you have a problem. You think you have a problem because you got used to the faster printing in B/W mode. You probably had your preferences set to print in B/W before you did the reinstall. Had you known where to look, you could have changed it to print in color and not have done the reinstall. Reinstalling the drivers reset the settings to default (color output).

But, you got used to B/W print speeds and are making the assumption that the speed you experienced with B/W output is the standard to be expected for all output. That would be an incorrect assumption. Color output requires much more data to be sent to the printer and that is the reason for the delay. Short of using a faster connection, it is what it is. There is nothing to fix. And, you know what they say ... if it ain't broke ...

Want to test this? Print something in color and experience the delay. Now print the exact same document / photo / whatever except in the print dialog ... before click on "print" ... go to preferences and choose to print "grayscale". Then print it. Notice the faster response by the printer. Less data needed.
Huh? The OP said there is a "significant delay" when printing in color. My color printing starts within 2 seconds after pressing the print button. I don't consider that to be a significant delay. I did your test and there is no difference in printing times for color vs black and white for my printer.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 08-01-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
There is no issue with your printer, modem or router. It simply takes time for Apple, Google, IRS, NSA, Alexa, etc. to download your data before it prints. Do what I do. Given that I'm retired there's no urgent need for any printed documents. So, I hit the print button then I go into the kitchen and make myself a margarita (or two). If it still hasn't printed I then turn on an episode of Monk or House. The printing is usually done by then for some reason I feel relaxed instead of anxious. Hope this helps.
Best Advice Ever!!!
Old 08-02-2021, 10:20 AM
Default Hp 3830

Hp has a problem with 3830 going to black. Uninstall all files then reinstall from web using latest software, do not use HP Smart and all should be well. This will happen when MS does a system upgrade almost all the time. You can also call HP and they should at no charge assist you with this problem.
Quote:
Sorry... My computer is an HP Officejet 3830 with a wireless connection
Closed Thread

Tags
issue, delay, printing, corrected, panel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.