Do I need a new laptop, or will the IPad do?

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I’m like UPSTATE, I’m not very literate about computers. My 6 yr. old great grandson know a lot more about computers than I do. My question is when I read some of these comments I’m thinking I have a laptop too, what is the difference between an IPad or Chromebook over my laptop?
Typically, a Chromebook will boot up faster than a laptop, and operates much like a tablet for surfing the Internet. It won't have as much internal storage as a laptop, and will not have a disk drive. Unlike a laptop, you won't be able to load software programs onto a Chromebook. That is because it doesn't have a Windows or Apple operating system to use as a software template. So, the Chromebook is more similar to a tablet than it is to a laptop. Some people recommend an inexpensive Chromebook to use exclusively for financial transactions because you don't need to worry about getting a virus or having your data stolen.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:04 PM

Thank you for the responses, please keep them coming. One thing I forgot to mention is the internal storage and or disk drive. I honestly have no idea how a cloud operates and the pros and cons of using one. My wife has a Dell XP13 and loves it, so who knows. Personally for me, I’m thinking of hiring an expert to walk me through all my options and how to use them.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
Thank you for the responses, please keep them coming. One thing I forgot to mention is the internal storage and or disk drive. I honestly have no idea how a cloud operates and the pros and cons of using one. My wife has a Dell XP13 and loves it, so who knows. Personally for me, I’m thinking of hiring an expert to walk me through all my options and how to use them.
If you don't have a Google account, you should set one up. It's free. Then, use Google Drive to store data in the "cloud". Google allows you to store up to 15 GB of data on your Google Drive for free. The advantage is that you can access your personal Google drive from any computer anywhere or from your cell phone by just logging onto the Google drive website. I have all of my important legal documents on my drive in a scanned PDF format, so I will never lose them. And, I haven't even used 1 GB of the free storage.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:50 PM

Tony gave me a laptop a few years ago. I didn't use it until Hunter and Taylor helped me out. Now if I have to use it, I just wait until they show up. It's just an excuse to have them around!
Old 11-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate View Post
Cloud: internet-based file storage and access.

Previously you'd save everything to floppy disks, or a tape, or a CD-RW, or the hard drive. Now, things can be saved (or save automatically) to a virtual server on the internet.

The upside: no files on your computer to corrupt, or get virus or malware on.

The downside: you have zero access to any of your files if your internet goes down, or if you bring your tablet/laptop somewhere else and there's no internet there.

I prefer redundancy: I let things autosave to the cloud, but I force-save everything to a flash drive (aka thumb drive). That way it doesn't matter if I have internet or not. Doesn't matter if my desktop computer breaks or not. Doesn't matter if I'm home or not. I grab my flash drive and bring it with me, and everything I need is right there to plug into whichever device I happen to be using.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage

I think most people including the very tech savy young people are now using Ipad oR Chrome book for everything except maybe intensive gaming. The Ipad is so convenient and portable, why use anything bigger
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-30-2019, 05:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Typically, a Chromebook will boot up faster than a laptop, and operates much like a tablet for surfing the Internet. It won't have as much internal storage as a laptop, and will not have a disk drive. Unlike a laptop, you won't be able to load software programs onto a Chromebook. That is because it doesn't have a Windows or Apple operating system to use as a software template. So, the Chromebook is more similar to a tablet than it is to a laptop. Some people recommend an inexpensive Chromebook to use exclusively for financial transactions because you don't need to worry about getting a virus or having your data stolen.
Retireguy123, your explanation helped a lot. All I really do is read emails, send text messages & do some banking & read some newspapers I’m interested in. So a IPad or Chromebook will work for me & save me a little bit of money. Thanks for your input on comparison!
Old 12-01-2019, 07:15 AM

I use a WiFi printer with my iPad, no issues, however with a chrome book is difficult to do and set up
Old 12-01-2019, 08:20 AM

I've been in tech for decades, and was an early adopter for just about everything. Comfortable with Windows, MacOS, iPad, Android, and Chromebook.

It used to be that you needed a real notebook or desktop computer to do certain things, but that's less so today.

My primary computer these days is a Chromebook, married to 2TB of cloud storage. Also travel with an Android or iPad tablet, and a real windows laptop.

On rare occasions, a real MacOS or Windows computer is required.

Someday you may come across a website situation where a tablet or smartphone is insufficient.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Default IPad choice

An iPad is a wonderful device, especially as we age. I have used numerous iPads, for quite a few years. I currently use the 12.9” iPad Air, and absolutely love it. Older eyes, love bigger screens! You mention you do word processing. You can purchase a full size Bluetooth keyboard inexpensively, that connect effortlessly to you iPad. The iPad is much lighter than a laptop (including a Chromebook), and is so easy to use. Battery life is excellent! No, I’m not a salesman for Apple. I did however recently retire from a major Central Florida City, where I spent my career in IT. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I have one of these for my iPad Pro. It basically turns your iPad into a laptop.

Robot Check
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

I am thrilled to see such a great response about chromebooks. I have using one for about 10 years and in my 50 years in the computer world, I've never found anything as good as a chromebook for my needs.
One clarification - you CAN use it offline, you can create and update sheets and docs, watch videos and read a book.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

We have 2 Windows Desktop computers, used only for road maps and storing, sorting etc photographs and music. Past acquisitions. Heavy and take up lots of room but hubby likes the double large monitors. Each of us has iPads and laptops. The only thing we use 98% of the time is the iPads. I do use the Dell laptop for photographs and art because it has a lot more memory and photo processing and a CD drive. I bought a MacBook for dealing with iTunes easily but it didn’t help, now we use it for word processing. I travel with an iPad and iPhone and Apple watch - that’s all I need.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:21 PM

Once again, thank you for all the responses. I’m attempting to educate myself regarding the cloud and using a flash drive as a back up. Also looking into the possibility of adding a keyboard, along with a word processor. I may not need a notebook, we’ll see.
Closed Thread

Tags
ipad, laptop, microsoft, office, flash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.