Do I need a router?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
Have had Century Link for home WIFI for 2 1/2 years and fed up with the slow speed. Paying $45 for 25 MBPS but not getting anywhere near that (some days slow as 3 MBPS). We live south of 466a and N of 44. Looking at switching to Spectrum. Spectrum offers one year deal for $45 per month for 100 MBPS and modem is free. A router is $5 extra per month. Do I need a router?

Obviously I am a novice when it comes to tech stuff. With Century Link all we have is a modem (which CL provided) - we are not renting the modem as it does not appear on our Century Link bill but I presume I will have to return it when I cancel service with CL. Or perhaps the CL modem is a combined modem/router?

I know I can buy a router or rent the one SPectrum offers but just wondering if I need it all. We use WIFI to for 3 televisions (all 3 use Amazon firestick and YOUTUBE TV) and for smartphones and MACBOOK, and Alexa. We also have a NETGEAR extender.

TIA for any guidance.
Your Spectrum device which is your modem should be a router combination if not Yes you need a router.Since you are a novice any simple router could be used, but there are advantages to Routers like the Netgear Nighthawk. It can be set up so only your devices can log into it by using Mac address'. This would eliminate others accessing your home network and stealing some of your bandwidth. First check with spectrum to see if you device has a built in router. If not then yes spend the extra money to buy a good router that you can limit. One of Spectrum's feature selling points is you can use their network anywhere, because they have modems, and some with routers in so many homes and business', but you are using some one else's device to tie into the network which uses other peoples resources, that slows their system down.
S/F Tony

Last edited by USMCVNG; 02-21-2020 at 10:18 AM. Reason: mispeld word and left out word
Old 02-21-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
@woolyg ah, the first technology generation is starting to retire and move to TV! well typed, and what @woolyg typed is exactly correct, what I tried to type, but he is much more elegant.
Thanks for the kind words.. Retired from heading up a technology department for a National Healthcare Company. Been out of it for 4 almost 5 years now.. As you know technology changes fast.. But I can still deal with this easy stuff..

I did just move to TV in the past few weeks..

Gary
Old 02-21-2020, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Have had Century Link for home WIFI for 2 1/2 years and fed up with the slow speed. Paying $45 for 25 MBPS but not getting anywhere near that (some days slow as 3 MBPS). We live south of 466a and N of 44.
Century Link must change when they cross 466A, I live 1/2 mile north near Sterling Hgts Rec Center and have had CL since July 2011, almost nine years. I have fiber optic since day one, no modem, I plug my computer or router directly into the wall jack at he end of the bar in the kitchen. I also only have 10 mpbs but everytime I run a test, it's always right on 10.1. It's also strong enough that I can watch youtube videos on my smart TV and have no lag. I've considered asking for a higher speed but really don't find a need. Maybe if I start streaming TV, but I have Directv since 2008. You might call CL and see if fiber optic has reached your neighborhood?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am pretty sure he has fiber to the house since he is south of 466a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Century Link must change when they cross 466A, I live 1/2 mile north near Sterling Hgts Rec Center and have had CL since July 2011, almost nine years. I have fiber optic since day one, no modem, I plug my computer or router directly into the wall jack at he end of the bar in the kitchen. I also only have 10 mpbs but everytime I run a test, it's always right on 10.1. It's also strong enough that I can watch youtube videos on my smart TV and have no lag. I've considered asking for a higher speed but really don't find a need. Maybe if I start streaming TV, but I have Directv since 2008. You might call CL and see if fiber optic has reached your neighborhood?
Old 02-21-2020, 12:26 PM

Are you sure the modem is just a modem. We have Centurylink and they supplied a router. You might want to call Centurylink and ask about the low download speed. We had that problem once and they came out and there was a problem in the box outside when they fixed that problem they fixed the low download speed.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchap View Post
Are you sure the modem is just a modem. We have Centurylink and they supplied a router. You might want to call Centurylink and ask about the low download speed. We had that problem once and they came out and there was a problem in the box outside when they fixed that problem they fixed the low download speed.
I have called them. Two weeks ago they sent out a tech and he rebooted modem (which I had done previously) and he reset GFI switches in garage. Fixed problem temporarily but slow speeds again 3 days later. Just got off phone with CL customer service and she wanted me to spend $100 to buy a booster from them. Not doing it.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:11 PM

How are you checking your speed? I have CL 1G/B service, check speed with the modem controller, usually 500- 700 M/B. $65/mo no tax or fees, fiber right into my office. You tube TV with smart TV's service is wonderful. Spectrum is not available up here near Nacy Lopez. I have the Google 3 node modem, it's great.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,417 Times in 5,108 Posts

Quote:
I have called them. Two weeks ago they sent out a tech and he rebooted modem (which I had done previously) and he reset GFI switches in garage. Fixed problem temporarily but slow speeds again 3 days later. Just got off phone with CL customer service and she wanted me to spend $100 to buy a booster from them. Not doing it.
I am confused. If you are using streaming sticks on 3 TVs, you must have wifi and a router. Have you checked your download speed by connecting an ethernet cable directly from the modem to a laptop? If the speed is slow with a hardwired connection, then the problem is with your internet provider. A booster won't help. I would get the provider to fix the speed, or you should get another internet provider.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Reread post #5 and then post what download speed you are seeing from a computer connected with coax cable instead of using WiFi.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2020, 08:51 AM

We dropped CL due to the very slow speed. Supposed to have 20mbs, rarely had half of that. Went with Xfinity 60mbs for sbout the same cost and bought a Netgear router/modem and an extender. Stream 3 tvs, have 3 cell phones(one is a home unit), an Ipad, a surface pro and an HP large laptop. Downloaded an MBS tester on my cell and check the ping, upload and download speeds periodically. Always get 60mbs and many times more for the download speeds.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Platinum member

I know people love to “hate” Comcast. However I am getting about 120 mbps download while using a VPN and over 200 mbps without the VPN connected. We steam on a ROKU and a couple of iPads connected without problems.

Tags
modem, router, spectrum, link, century

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.