Wireless internet security with iMac's

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 AM
ilovesoup
Default Wireless internet security with iMac's

I have linksys router and an iMac desktop. Do I really need to secure my home wireless network and why? Doesn't iMac have some firewall security as well as the linksys router?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to JRietz Send a message via Skype™ to JRietz
Default Re: Wireless internet security with iMac's

You can secure your network (wireless or wired) by requiring a password to access it. This would be set in your router. I'm also pretty sure you can create a "closed" network, which means that its existence is not broadcast - you have to know the exact network name to log in (in addition to a password). An "open" network's name is broadcast and will show up in a list of available networks (it still may require a password). The router should also be able to create a MAC (not the Macintosh) address restrictions.

A firewall adds an additional access layer, depending on which is used (router or computer). A firewall deals with ports (a subset of the IP address) and allows or does not allow incoming requests to be handled or passed on. A router can not "handle" most incoming requests, but it can pass the incoming request to a connected device (computer, printer) IF there is a specific entry in the port mapping (there are no default entries). A computer can "handle" incoming requests IF they are passed to it from the router (via port mapping) or if the computer was connected directly to the modem (no router).

Your iMac does have a firewall built into the Mac OS X system. Where to enable it depends on what version of OS X you are using. If you are using 10.5 (Leopard), you will find it in the Security System Preference. Any system less than 10.5, it will be in the Sharing System Preference.

As English states, the router is "king" and should be your first line of defense from the "net." If someone did join your "open" not password protected wireless local area network (it would be one of your close neighbors), they would not be able to access your iMac if no sharing entries were enabled.

Jim

Jim
Johnston Atoll AFB
Lady Lake
Town of Lady Lake Commissioner (Ward 5)
Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 AM
ilovesoup
Default Re: Wireless internet security with iMac's

Thanks for your input Jim and English. I think I'll be coming to the iMac computer club before too long. Jim I do not have any "sharing" enabled so I'm good there. Thanks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.