External hard-drive problem

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Default External hard-drive problem

My desktop can't locate or communicate with my external hard-drive all of the sudden. (I'm running Windows 10.) Device Manager lists it but File Explorer does not list it. It's getting power. I've rebooted it and the desktop several times with no success. It's an older device (2006), so I suspect it has failed.

Any thoughts on how to resurrect it?

More importantly, if it is dead, how do I get my files out of it in order to transfer to a new external hard drive.

And before you ask, no I didn't back-up all the ext. hard-drive data in the cloud. I don't like paying for backing up files in the cloud.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Gold member

Have you tried hooking your external hdd to another system? If that fails as well, you need to get it a good computer repair service. DO NOT take it too the geek squad at Best Buy.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Hard drive

[QUOTE=alwann;1462048]My desktop can't locate or communicate with my external hard-drive all of the sudden. (I'm running Windows 10.) Device Manager lists it but File Explorer does not list it. It's getting power. I've rebooted it and the desktop several times with no success. It's an older device (2006), so I suspect it has failed.

More importantly, if it is dead, how do I get my files out of it in order to transfer to a new external hard drive.
Ours works fine. Maybe call Best Buy and see it they will talk about it or bring it in to have it checked.
Just a suggestion. Hope it works.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, it MIGHT be the interface, I have both a ATA and SATA interfaces. Send me a PM, and we can take your drive and swap interfaces to see if it works. If it does not work, then it is probably the drive, and while you can get files off of a damaged drive expect $$$$. VT
Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 AM

It could be as simple as the USB port you have it plugged into. I had the same issue, first I tried using it with my laptop and it worked fine. When connecting the hard drive back to my desktop I used a different USB port and it has been working since.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Thanks, Tag. I've done all of those things. Now my primary mission is finding a way, or an expert, for getting my files off of this dead thing.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Thanks, Tag. I've done all of those things. Now my primary mission is finding a way, or an expert, for getting my files off of this dead thing.
You could call MMD on 441. I have a friend with a similar problem and they were able to recover his files.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
My desktop can't locate or communicate with my external hard-drive all of the sudden. (I'm running Windows 10.) Device Manager lists it but File Explorer does not list it. It's getting power. I've rebooted it and the desktop several times with no success. It's an older device (2006), so I suspect it has failed.

And before you ask, no I didn't back-up all the ext. hard-drive data in the cloud. I don't like paying for backing up files in the cloud.
Backblaze is $50 a year. Worth it for peace of mind...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 01:52 PM

If the drive is NOT making strange sounds, you may be able to remove it from the external case and
connect it directly to your computer, bypassing the controller on the external drive, and utilizing the native computer interface.

That is pretty straightforward and works most of the time. FWIW, this is a common problem with Western Digital external devices.
Controller failure seems to happen to them and the maxtor externals a bit more then average in my experience.

If the data on the drive is unreadable after all that, but the drive does not make any noises like its physically damaged,
there is also the possibility of changing the controller board on the drive itself with an exact match. I have saved several drives in the past
wit those methods.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Thanks. I've got it handled. Drive is out of the case and files are being transferred. Actually, it lived long for a cheap unit. I just wish it would have given a heads up it was failing.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Glad to hear you got it done.
Closed Thread

Tags
external, hard-drive, device, files, cloud

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.