Flight Simers (MSFS, X-Plane 11)

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2022, 01:02 PM
Default Flight Simers (MSFS, X-Plane 11)

Do we have any inside the bubble?
Old 07-31-2022, 04:32 PM
Veteran member

I have bought multiple versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator over the years, each time meaning to actually learn to fly them. I've gone from a version for the Commodore 64 that fit on a single 160 Kb floppy diskette and ran at 300 x 200 monochrome resolution through multiple PC and Windows versions to the current version running on an Xbox Series X that runs at 4K, 24-bit color resolution and which takes over 300 gigabytes of storage on the internal drive. I've even got a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas One joystick and throttle controller plus the matching TFRP flight pedals. Trouble is, some of the controller mapping is wrong on the joystick (apparently a known problem on the internet) and my attention span for it just isn't adequate for learning all the ins and outs of this incredible simulator. I can take off, fly around a bit and even land sometimes, but it's mostly just buzzing around and checking out the scenery. I was amazed that I could take off from the little landing strip off of Rolling Acres Road and fly around The Villages and recognize a lot of what I saw (though the houses are all dynamically generated and don't look at all like either of the houses I've owned here). Still, lots of fun.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

I looked into both recently and purchased X-plane. I have flown some others in the past, but not much in the last few decades.

I chose X-Plane over MS Flight Sim for two reasons.

1. I prefer Macintosh and X-Plane runs nicely on my new M1 Mac. I could run MS Flight Sim on my iMacPro in Bootcamp running Windows, but I hate to do that, having to constantly be booting back and forth between the two different operating systems.

2. In reading reviews of the two, MS Flight Sim seems to be more "entertainment" and X-Plane seems to be obsessive about sim accuracy. I know a lot of people will say MS is getting better at being a sim, or maybe even is better, but that takes me back to reason 1. And with third party add-ons and the upcoming massive update to X-Plane 12, the visuals are competitive - not as good as MS Flight Sim, but competitive. If you want flight accuracy, then X-Plane is still the best choice in my not so humble opinion. I really am enjoying the flight school built into X-Plane. Step by step learning.

Anyway, just my opinion. I don't have as much time as I hoped to play with it, but I take it out occasionally and fly around some. Loads of fun!
Old 09-06-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke0815 View Post
Do we have any inside the bubble?
I plan on moving to The Villages in May 2023 and have been a flight simmer for a long time. Also flew r/c planes and have my PPL. I am flying DCS and FS2020 right now. Never could get in to X-Plane. Flew P3D before FS2020. I have even made some scenery for P3D and FS2020, lots of small airports in my area. Plan to have a lot more time to sim when I move there in about 8 months and some odd days.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:20 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 289 Posts

If you can't fly the real thing, why not try a smaller version? You'll find a dozen or more guys at the polo grounds every weekday, flying electric model airplanes. The guys with the red hats are instructors, and you might be able to try it out. You can even buy a sim ("RealFlight") to learn how to work the sticks without crashing a plane (but don't worry -- you'll still get your chance!).

As a full-scale pilot who found it necessary to choose between my flying hobby and retirement, I find model airplanes to be actually more challenging than the real thing. It ALMOST satisfies the flying itch. Plus, when you're not flying them, you can build 'em!
Closed Thread

Tags
flight, simers, msfs, x-plane, inside

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.