Free Computer Components!

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 PM
Veteran member
Default Free Computer Components!

I don't have pictures but I have some computer parts that are in nice working order that I would like to give away to a worthy cause for nothing. in other words "free". I have a Brother printer with a recently installed, black, ink cartridge, speakers, camera, wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. Most of it is 3 or 4 years old except the two wireless things and they are 2 or 3 years old.

I needed a new PC and opted for an all-in-one. Our granddaughter snatched up the monitor since the monitor on her lap top was shot.

If you need any of the things I listed, contact me, Janice at 352-561-4891 or 440-452-3587 (cell). I am willing to donate parts or the entire list. Call me, I need this stuff gone!
Old 05-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

One day last year we realized that we had accumulated 4 laptops and a desktop, that we no longer used. We paid a small computer repair guy to scrub the hard drives for personal info, then donated them to a group that gives them to poorer students so that they can keep up with their virtual classrooms during this pandemic. I don't know if you have something similar down there, but it made us feel good that maybe we made a difference in someone's life - that will pay dividends in their future.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

There is a computer club here in the villages that take old PCs (win 7 or newer) and scrub the drive before reinstalling Windows 10 on it.

I suggest loading Linux Mint which will wipe out the drive and make an old PC feel like new. I've converted several people here in The Villages and, so far, none have asked to go back to Windows.

Linux Mint is free, it's like Windows without all the problems. Generally, you don't need virus protection because of the way Linux works. You are very unlikely to get a virus or ransomware.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:08 AM
Veteran member

I've scrubbed about a dozen PC's, installed linux and gave them to the middle school in Bushnell.

Let me know if you want me to do that for you.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:45 AM
Veteran member

That would be great except my house is going up for sale tomorrow so I have to get the stuff out. I wish I had read this sooner.
Closed Thread

Tags
wireless, things, years, computer, monitor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.