General questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default General questions

Currently I have a desktop that connects to my dsl, wireless router and printer. I also have two laptops. When I move I would like to get rid of the desktop. Do I need a landline and how would I connect all my peripherals?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
Currently I have a desktop that connects to my dsl, wireless router and printer. I also have two laptops. When I move I would like to get rid of the desktop. Do I need a landline and how would I connect all my peripherals?
With DSL you need a "land line" connection. Your provider should provide you with a spliter/filter so that you can plug your router and your phone into the same phone outlet. As for the printer, I believe but not sure that you can simply run your printer connection wire directly into an available outlet in the router. Perhaps someone who has already had that setup can answer that question better than I.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
This site may help you with various task. http://www.ehow.com/video_5140538_co...dsl-modem.html
Old 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Sage

Depends on what peripherals you need to connect. Some printers have an ethernet connection so you can run a cable from printer to router. Or you can get a wireless printer to eliminate the cable entirely. They are relatively inexpensive these days. What other peripherals do you need to connect?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Sage

Or you can consider getting internet access via a local cable company after you move rather than via dsl through your phone company. Any connections to it would be the same (from the modem to your computer and any other equipment) as you'd have with your current set up.

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.