Regrets switching from Windows to MAC?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Default Regrets switching from Windows to MAC?

We are fed up with Windows and all the inherent flaws, viruses, and lack of help. We're ready to purchase a Mac. Does anyone regret switching?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Heck no!
I switched over 11 years ago and have not looked back.

I love our macs..! I actually still have our first mac, a 17" G4 imac.....the lampshade style. My wife still uses it everyday. Works great. Show me a windoze computer that old that is worth anything.

Mac users enjoy a great fellowship of other helpful users. There is even a Mac Users group in the Villages. Yes, there is a small learning curve, but Macs just seem easier to use. They hold there value better then PeeCees, get no viruses or blue screens of death. Apple has GREAT customer service too. They just work.

Once you go Mac, you never go back......welcome to what you always wished computers should be.......

Frank
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Eternal Member

This is like Direct TV vs Comcast.

Personally I doubt if you will get many answers.

Most of us are happy windows users.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Do you need a computer? Mrs Snowbirdtobe has an iPad and iPhone in TV.
She can do email, Internet, print documents without a computer.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

I should add that if you do think about buying a mac, updates to many models are coming out very soon.

Imacs are overdue to be upgraded soon. New MacbookPros are coming out in 3 days. The new ipads are coming out soon also. The iphone5 should be out by June/July.

There are many more windows users out there then Mac users. There are more Chevy's out there then Cadillac's also......

Frank
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

This is like the gas vs electric hob knob. I have both, a PC with windows and a Mac plus an Ipad. And they both have there purpose and usefulness. Both are easy to use, I do like the Mac reliability, but the PC has better access to many things. So both have there useful place in the world of personal computing. Same as golf carts. I have a gas and electric and I like both as each has it's place in TV. However, if I could only have one, it would be the PC. (and gas)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
This is like Direct TV vs Comcast.

Personally I doubt if you will get many answers.

Most of us are happy windows users.
Don't think you understood the questions ZCaveman - if you have never switched to a MAC, you are not eligible to answer

I switched a little over a year ago to a Macbook - had used Windows for about 8 years at work and at home, so was a little more (at least at work) than a casual user. I would never switch back. Absolutely love my Macbook.

I think perhaps (and this is a big perhaps) that more casual users would never switch back to Windows, just because the MAC is easier to use for us non-techies. But - my 2 sons-in-law and 2 daughters, 3 of whom are techies, would never switch back either.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Don't think you understood the questions ZCaveman - if you have never switched to a MAC, you are not eligible to answer

I switched a little over a year ago to a Macbook - had used Windows for about 8 years at work and at home, so was a little more (at least at work) than a casual user. I would never switch back. Absolutely love my Macbook.

I think perhaps (and this is a big perhaps) that more casual users would never switch back to Windows, just because the MAC is easier to use for us non-techies. But - my 2 sons-in-law and 2 daughters, 3 of whom are techies, would never switch back either.
You are correct. I have never had a MAC or seen a MAC. I am happy with Windows. However I am not a casual user so I will defend the Windows systems. I would love to find a system that is easy for anyone to use. - especially my spouse! I was just stating a point. Sorry. ;>(.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Gold member

You are forgiven - anyone who has been as helpful as you (with your basic and detailed info for potential Villagers) should be forgiven just about anything! You have some credits built up, at least in my book
Old 02-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Default Love the Mac. Won't go back to Windows.

I switched to all Apple products about 3 years ago because of the seamless integration with all of their products. I've had 3 Mac-mini desktops (the size of a hardcover book) that require a separate monitor and keyboard. I like the Mac mini because when I upgrade I only incur the cost of the processor, not the monitor and keyboard too. I bought the newest Mac mini this year. I think it was about $700. I also have an Apple Time Capsule as my wireless router and wireless backup for my hard drive. I have an ipad and iPhone too. I've never been more satisfied with products than I am with my Apple equipment. If you buy AppleCare with the computer the tech support you get with AppleCare is unbelievably good. They'll stay on the phone with you for hours to help you work through a technical problem. Also, Apple tech support tends to be Americans who speak perfect English. If level one tech support cannot fix your problem they will escalate it to higher level support without a hassle.

I switched to Apple too because of the viruses on Windows, the frequent error messages on my Windows PC, and none to worthless tech support from Microsoft. The people who speak well of Windows tend to be techy types who like to configure software and hardware on their own and who know how to fix Windows problems when Windows goes awry. Me, I just want my computer to work. All of my Apple products work beautifully, they work consistently, and they work exceedingly well together. I am 100% happy that I made the switch.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Thumbs up Mac-a-holic here

Macs have been primary in our household since '92; initially switching from Windows to a long-ago custom-designed operating system for our company; our kids had Macs in the school computer lab; as well as at their University .. and later at their jobs ...

Tho everyone's on their own now, they still have desktop Macs and Macbooks.

It appears we have an 'orchard' of Macs .. iPods, iMacs, MacMinis on hand ... love, love, love them. (Also have a PC for a few specific operations, but rarely use it for 'recreational' computer use.)

Have found the Mac operating systems to be easier for the most part .. it seems too many Windows applications require too many 'extra' steps ...
but that's just me. Most Window-holics, will remain so, I"m sure.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM

My husband and I made the switch a couple of years ago and will never go back to Windows. There is no comparison. Make the switch and don't look back!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 PM

I bought a macbook pro about a year ago after having used a pc forever...I love it...would never go back. My husband liked mine so well he bought himself one. We also have the Iphones, Ipods, & my grandson has an Ipad.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
We are fed up with Windows and all the inherent flaws, viruses, and lack of help. We're ready to purchase a Mac. Does anyone regret switching?
Hi Ducati,
I used to prefer Macs, but I like Windows 7 a lot. It is fast, has a pleasing, easy interface and has never given me a moment's trouble.

That said, if you are a casual user and would not have to replace a lot of software, I doubt you would regret switching. Macs are user friendly, pleasant and usually trouble free.

If you would have to replace or do without a lot of software you like, you might regret switching.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Smile

I am so happy that I switched! I was doing a clinical research project and in the midst of data collection my pc was a mess. I switched to the mac and have never looked back. You just can't treat like a pc. The mac is so easy, each of it programs work together. As far as junk mail it is easier to work with and will learn your preferences. It does however have its own issues but they are minor.

It took a few years for my husband to consider a mac, he was attached to his pc but after many crashes and virsus he gave up and has never looked back.

enjoy
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.