I Pad 2: Anyone ordering March 11?

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum member
Default I Pad 2: Anyone ordering March 11?

Hate to spend the money, but I think I will order March 11. Will get 16 GB and 3G -- not sure whether Verizon or AT&T. Grandson is getting one too. He is psyching me up.
Tampa, FL
Old 03-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

oh boy oh boy oh boy..... I'm really on the fence on this one. I already have the iPad, but the iPad 2 is faster, smaller, lighter and has cameras... What to do?????

I think I might have to go to the Apple Store and hold one in my hand...

If you are planning any international travel, i would go with the AT&T 3G model. That model has a GSM antenna, which is used all over the world. You simply buy a micro-sim in the country you are visiting and you're good to go....no roaming charges. That is not possible with the Verizon model....

Keep us updated on your purchasing decision.......
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Sage

I bought an iPad 1 last Sept and am very happy with it. However, I will probably wait til version 3 comes out in a year to upgrade.

I like the idea that iPad 2 is smaller, lighter, and faster and very surprised that Apple kept the same price points as version 1. The cameras are not a big deal for me. If I was buying one now, I would pay 'full' price for a version 2 versus the discounted price on version 1.

A good product just keeps getting better....

Enjoy, Avista....I know you will!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

I'm thinking about it, but am also on the fence. I watched Steve Jobs introduce it and was impressed.
I'm planning on getting the iphone5 in a few months, and also will soon be replacing my 12 year old wonderful G4 imac....so i'm not sure about the ipad2.....but I'm tempted!

Frank
Old 03-05-2011, 11:37 PM

I'm still on the fence, but leaning toward the Ipad 2. I spent time using a friend's Ipad and after seeing the reviews of the new Ipad 2, I was impressed.

I own the HTC EVO phone with the Android OS and because the new Motorola Xoom is an Android device, I was leaning toward buying the Xoom. However, I'm concerned about the higher price of the Xoom and, for now, the limited number of tablet apps.

I strongly recommend that you research the reviews and then try each device to see how you like it. You'll have to wait a few days to get your hands on the Ipad 2, but its closest competitor is the Motorola Xoom and it's available at most Best Buys.

For now, I'll continue to watch the reviews.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Default Not a clear decision

Great interface.

Better processor than IPAD 1.

An upgrade at the same price.

The App Store

Lacking RAM.

Lacking any card slot.

Poor rear camera, esp. compared to IPHONE.

Display not as good as IPHONE.

Is it worth the upgrade cost?

See: http://www.tabletpcreview.com/defaul...+ipad+2+tablet
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 AM

I can't think of anything I would use it for living in The Villages. Got a laptop and a cell phone which I have never even sent a text message with and don't want to know how to do it. I am definitely an old fogey! It seems to me all this technology stuff to make us "connected" is making us more disconnected than ever.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:07 AM

you are right. I call my kids now and they never answer their phone but send them a text and they reply right away.
we are losing human interactions for the quest for knowledge.
just look at this website. use to ask neighbors or church friends all kinds of questions but now just search the computer. Wow we are all guilty of progress.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
oh boy oh boy oh boy..... I'm really on the fence on this one. I already have the iPad, but the iPad 2 is faster, smaller, lighter and has cameras... What to do?????

I think I might have to go to the Apple Store and hold one in my hand...

If you are planning any international travel, i would go with the AT&T 3G model. That model has a GSM antenna, which is used all over the world. You simply buy a micro-sim in the country you are visiting and you're good to go....no roaming charges. That is not possible with the Verizon model....

Keep us updated on your purchasing decision.......
My grandson said exactly what you said about AT&T so I think that is what I will get. I wonder if a sim card could be purchased and used on the Carribean Islands while cruising. I plan to use the 3G only the months when I will be away from The Villages. At least that is what I am thinking now.
Tampa, FL
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Sage

For some reason, I'm not tempted. Have an iPhone for the great apps and camera. Have desktop and laptop for computer. The iPad seems... superfluous.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Avista, just got back from a sailing vacation in BYI last week and my AT&T GSM phone worked fine everywhere. Also my Ipad with AT&T 3g worked most places. I have used AT&T GSM phones for many years and they work well all over the world. I have stayed connected everywhere in Europe, Asia, (except Japan) Australia, and South Africa.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Avista, just got back from a sailing vacation in BYI last week and my AT&T GSM phone worked fine everywhere. Also my Ipad with AT&T 3g worked most places. I have used AT&T GSM phones for many years and they work well all over the world. I have stayed connected everywhere in Europe, Asia, (except Japan) Australia, and South Africa.
Good to hear. Did you have to change Sim cards? Was there an extra charge?
Tampa, FL
Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
For some reason, I'm not tempted. Have an iPhone for the great apps and camera. Have desktop and laptop for computer. The iPad seems... superfluous.
...and here I thought you'd be all over the iPad2. Isn't that what you were waiting for???? Maybe you should go to the Apple Store and hold one in your hands for a few minutes....just to be sure

I appreciate your bringing up that iPhone thing again though

I MISS MY iPHONE !
(Sorry to say, Android ain't really doing it for me....)
Old 03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Veteran member

memason,

What happened to your iphone? Did you have any issues with it in Florida? I ask because you know I need to decide between Verizon and ATT before I get the iphone 5 .....

Sorry to go off topic, back to the awesome ipad2.....
Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulfrank View Post
memason,

What happened to your iphone? Did you have any issues with it in Florida? I ask because you know I need to decide between Verizon and ATT before I get the iphone 5 .....

Sorry to go off topic, back to the awesome ipad2.....
Frank.... So's not to hijack, I sent you a PM...

Mike
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.