Help needed re my freezing cursor and keyboard.

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2021, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

I stopped at Windows 7. After that I converted to Linux Mint and never went back to Windows. It's free, just works and your chances of getting a virus is very very small. The easiest way to convert is to get a SSD drive off Amazon, swap it out with your hard drive download Linux onto t a thumb drive and install that way.

Go to Main Page - Linux Mint to download it.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
You need to upgrade to windows 10 soon to be 11. It should clear up problems
Exactly ! That’s part of the reason it seized up
Old 07-02-2021, 06:44 AM
Default addressing just the problem - USB polling

Your problem is almost certainly a simple setting change in windows. USB slots are turned off to save power after a certain time by default and Windows, particularly win 7, is prone to lock from misread or misdirected wake function signaling. Find someone familiar with windows settings and registry (or research it yourself) and set USB power saving to 0, (off). This can be done for specific slots through editing the registry or changed for all through windows settings. Try that first, after making sure that batteries are good and mouse wake function is itself working (when you first try to restart using mouse do you see the light or not, don't look to windows till you are sure mouse function is good first). Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 AM
Default That is what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Get rid of the computer and get an apple ipad. No issues ever and you dont have a huge weight taking up space on your desk
Yep, I moved to an IPad a long time ago, wireless printer and it does everything that the Microsoft unit did and more, easier and much user friendly. I donated my older Microsoft computers. Apple are much more safe than the others, although there is no 100% SAFE system, Apple 🍎 🍏 works better.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:44 AM

It could be a thermal issue with your computer. I have seen computers that consistently lock up after a certain time period. The computer heats up enough and the lock occurs. It may be a hardware issue. I don’t think it is a bad mouse or keyboard or only one would stop working.

If you just use a browser surfing the internet, a cheaper and hassle-free option is buying a Chrome OS laptop that you can get for as little as $200 new from Lenovo (IBM previously), HP or Acer. The other option is installing neverware (neverware.com) now owned by Google for free home use on most any old computer. It is Chromium OS which is just the Open Source version of Chrome OS.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
No don't upgrade!!. I presume you have a wireless keyboard and mouse. The best thing is to unplug the small USB antenna going into your computer and plug it back in. Or you can set your computer to go into sleep mode after 20 minutes or so of inactivity and then if you hit the keyboard it will reactivate. No reason to have to learn Windows 10 or try to get Windows 11 to work on an old computer which it won't do to the fact that you most probably do not have the correct software and hardware for their new anti-hacking procedures
Yes, upgrade!!! Windows 7 is no longer secure. Anyone with windows 7 should have received the message from windows that they will no longer be supporting 7. That was at least a year ago. I upgraded to 10 for free.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
No don't upgrade!!. I presume you have a wireless keyboard and mouse. The best thing is to unplug the small USB antenna going into your computer and plug it back in. Or you can set your computer to go into sleep mode after 20 minutes or so of inactivity and then if you hit the keyboard it will reactivate. No reason to have to learn Windows 10 or try to get Windows 11 to work on an old computer which it won't do to the fact that you most probably do not have the correct software and hardware for their new anti-hacking procedures
the wireless mouse has a kind of sleep mode to preserve battery life, which (like me) nobody uses. simply turn off the mouse for a second or two then back on
ideally, if you know you are not going to use the pc for a few hours, turn off the mouse

BTW i have windows 10 and have the same issue

good luck - hope this takes care of it
Old 07-02-2021, 08:36 AM

Techie here
Windows 7 is legacy and most programs do not work well on the platform.

Next point, when was the last time you blew out the PC with a can of air. For laptops put a vacuum on the fan outlet while blowing air into the intakes.
Dust is drawn in and will make your computer all sorts of buggery.

A description of your hardware is needed...
How old?
Laptop or PC?
Hard drive? I will assume.... go buy a laptop with Solid State Hard Drive.

If you mouse locks up, just unplug it, that will force the PC to re-establish a bluetooth connection. This should typically free up the PC.

Security note:
1 - go to taskbar... what is running?
2 - Are you running windows Defender? most get duped into buying useless software protection.
3 - minimize your cyber presence. Every one needs to do this.
4 - multiple email accounts..... create one solely for personal stuff.
One for business. and how ever many you need to do all the rest.
5 - Avoid Amazon
6 - Change your search engine to "DuckDuckGo"
7 - Do not. I mean DO NOT use your phone for anything other than calls, texts, and to look up small stuff ( where is the movie theater, directions, etc)
8 - Get offline and enjoy life.
9 - Cook, dance, play pickle ball, make love with the extra hours you will reclaim.

~ The Auricle has Spoken
Old 07-02-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I have windows 10....it sucks.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Mine works fine. Windows 11 will be here soon.

You Can Still Get Windows 10 for Free With a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Key
Old 07-02-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwood4d View Post
Upgrade now. Windows 7 has not been supported for years. Lack of support means no patches for malware vulnerability. Upgrade now unless this computer NEVER accesss the internet.
Yes, you can continue using Windows 7 after January 14, 2020. Windows 7 will continue to run as it is today. However, you should upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14, 2020, because Microsoft will be discontinuing all technical support, software updates, security updates, and any other fixes after that date.Jan 14, 2020
Old 07-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

I’m guessing that your Windows computer is probably too old, and should be replaced.
The OP's problem is peripherals, not the computer. Seriously - talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

He just needs either a cleaned mouse/keyboard, new batteries, or a new mouse/keyboard. Total maximum cost on mid-range quality of both for full new replacement: Under $50. Total minimum cost: 0, plus maybe .01 for dish detergent and water.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
~ The Auricle has Spoken
OK, but what does the Ventricle say? (Guessing you meant 'Oracle'?)
Old 07-03-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJackpot View Post
I have windows 10....it sucks.
I agree with that! Windows 10 is lousy! It takes much more processing power to make up for the very sluggish Windows 10 operating system. It’s crude and clunky, and full of jokes that have to be constantly patched. I’ve used Linux before, and that’s a pain to use. Lots of screen savers, but poor user interface and lousy apps.

You’re much better off if you bite the bullet, and buy an Apple computer. The Apple computers are drastically better. The iPhones are drastically better than the crude snd clunky Android cellphones too.

It’s a pain if you’re favorite apps only run on Windows. Then you’re stuck using a crappy and buggy operating system. I worked for decades supporting Windows servers before I retired. It’s endless employment fixing the endless problems with Windows.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,301 Times in 559 Posts

Curb alert... your equipment is antique ... no offense but you need to start looking for a new laptop or Tablet ! Get a new wireless printer
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, bad, cursor, solution, type

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.