HTML Editor

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Default HTML Editor

Anyone know of a free easy to use (wysiwyg) HTML editor? I have been using an old version of MS Front Page which isn't supported anymore.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Sage

My advise... if it isn't broken, keep using the old FrontPage as long as you can. I haven't found a decent free HTML editor yet.

I'm at work now. When I get home I'll try to remember to look at the alternatives I currently have and let you know. Free is free so it won't cost anything for a test drive.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Haven't used it in a year or so, and it's not free but pretty darn close to free . . . http://www.coffeecup.com/

Very easy to use wysiwyg with templates or you can design your own from scratch. I love their software.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Google it. "Free HTML Editor", Best Free HTML Editor", "Free WYSIWIG HTML Editor", etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Eternal Member

I am still using AOLPress. It has not been supported for years but works fine for my needs.

As long as your Frontpage is working, stick with it.

I have not found too many of the newer free HTML editors that are easy to use.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Took your advice and googled it:

"CoffeeCup software does a great job of providing what their customers want for a low price. The CoffeeCup HTML editor is a great tool for web designers. It comes with lots of graphics, templates, and extra features — like the CoffeeCup image mapper. And I've found that if you request a feature, they will add it or create a new tool to take care of it. Plus, once you purchase CoffeeCup HTML editor, you get free updates for life. CoffeeCup HTML Editor was voted Best HTML Editor in the 2010 About.com Reader's Choice Awards."
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Location: Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and OBG in the Villages

I still use FP 2002 and it does the job for me however I'm creating a new web site for one of the new village clubs (looniesandtoonies.com) and I suspect they're going to want some of the more sexier tricks and I don't write Java, Perl, PHP etc - I did try FRESHHTML (free from the Freshxxxx series of pgms) and it was OK, but not up to FP's standards. BTW I use free FRESHFTP for my FTP xfrs and it works well. So K9 there's no doubt in your mind that Coffee Cup is worth the $50 ??? (I know, I paid >$50 for FP). My first challenge will probably be to make part of the site password protected. Would C.C. do that for me??
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

From the coffeecup site. Go thru their site thoroughly; some things are extra costs.

Password-protect your site quickly and easily with Flash!
Create password-protected pages and manage usernames and passwords with CoffeeCup Password Wizard. You don't even have to know Flash or HTML. Customize the look and feel to match your page. You can even point different users to different URLs. Preview within the program or your favorite browser. All this and more make CoffeeCup Password Wizard the easiest way to password-protect your pages.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnXI View Post
I still use FP 2002 and it does the job for me however I'm creating a new web site for one of the new village clubs (looniesandtoonies.com) and I suspect they're going to want some of the more sexier tricks and I don't write Java, Perl, PHP etc <snip> My first challenge will probably be to make part of the site password protected. Would C.C. do that for me??
If you are starting from scratch and want some advanced features, why try to do it with an HTML editor?

I would recommend that you use a Content Management System (CMS). I have been using Joomla CMS for about 5-6 years and love it. It's free and there are many free add-ons available -- the PHP, Java, etc. is written for you. And it has a built-in WYSIWYG editor.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacam View Post
Anyone know of a free easy to use (wysiwyg) HTML editor? I have been using an old version of MS Front Page which isn't supported anymore.
The one I tried most recently is KompoZer, www.kompozer.net
Old 04-02-2011, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen, I'll give 'em a try, esp the CMS approach, never heard of it before (other than a subset of IBM's main frame Control Program, VM - Guess what my background is... eehhh)

Last edited by JohnXI; 04-03-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnXI View Post
Thanks for the ideas gentlemen, I'll give 'em a try, esp the CMS approach, never heard of it before (other than a subset of IBM's main frame Control Program, VM - Guess what my background is... eehhh)
is eehhh the written version of what is pronounced ay?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

He's in Canada, so it must be "eh?"
Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Jeez (don't start). Look what I've done eh? Ay is too close to Aye which has naval and/or Scots connotations. Eeehhh (sorry I forgot the ?) is simply a more emphatic eh?.... eh?
It's not present in either the Oxford or Websters dictionaries so anyone can be right, but maybe in a different thread A?

Last edited by JohnXI; 04-08-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Readability eh?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.