How to re-image a dell

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Default How to re-image a dell

Does anyone know how to re-image a Dell computer, or if it is even possible to do with a Dell? I have a nasty virus, and have found that my only choice is to re-image it.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Default Re: How to re-image a dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191
Did a search on Google which resulted in many sites. Hope this helps..... barb

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...reimage+a+Dell
Thanks for the help. I finally found what I was looking for...
Still, if anyone has any tips or experience with this, I would like to hear.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 AM
JohnnyM

Walkstop did you try a system restore? If that does not work you need to have your restore disc that came with the computer and it will bring your settings back to factory default. You will lose everything regarding files, folders and data. Can you access the system restore command?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 PM

No, I did not try the system restore yet because i need to buy a external hard drive. I don't have anything backed up yet, but i will try what you said when I can backup my hard drive.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I have a Dell running Vista (which is often a headache). I have an external hard drive for back ups but you don't need to do that for a system restore. A system restore just resets your computer to an earlier date without losing any important data.

To do a system recovery you need to back up your files first or all will be lost since your computer is erased and you reload everything as new.

I, too, have had a nasty virus. My first recommendation would be to make sure your anti virus is up to date and has checked your computer. If you still have the virus, then try Windows Live One Care. It has fixed many problems I have had.

Before I perform a system recovery, I try any and all things possible such as: disc cleanup, error-checking, defrag, registry clean, adaware, etc. Most often, one of these will be corrective. I also do a search about how to eliminate the virus in addition to going into forums seeking solutions.

If all fails, then last resort is a system recovery where you wipe the slate clean and start over again. It's a real pain in the a** but the only way to solve a serious problem.

Good luck...been there, done that!
Old 02-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
I have a Dell running Vista (which is often a headache). I have an external hard drive for back ups but you don't need to do that for a system restore. A system restore just resets your computer to an earlier date without losing any important data.

To do a system recovery you need to back up your files first or all will be lost since your computer is erased and you reload everything as new.

I, too, have had a nasty virus. My first recommendation would be to make sure your anti virus is up to date and has checked your computer. If you still have the virus, then try Windows Live One Care. It has fixed many problems I have had.

Before I perform a system recovery, I try any and all things possible such as: disc cleanup, error-checking, defrag, registry clean, adaware, etc. Most often, one of these will be corrective. I also do a search about how to eliminate the virus in addition to going into forums seeking solutions.

If all fails, then last resort is a system recovery where you wipe the slate clean and start over again. It's a real pain in the a** but the only way to solve a serious problem.

Good luck...been there, done that!
So far I have tried everything you listed plus more multiple times. According to spybot search and destroy i have over 200 problems and they keep coming back. It is going to be a real pain, but I hope it will be better in the long run.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Spybot Search and Destroy does not remove viruses. You need to identify the virus you have then copy that code into a search engine with the words "how to get rid of" or something similar. Then spend time reading all the suggestions to rid the virus from your computer.

Another recommendation...contact your anti virus support center. Most often they can do a "computer share" and solve your problem. I have done this before and it's remarkable how they can actually get into your computer and control everything!

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:59 AM

I have also tried other programs such as adeware and Mcafee, but I have not identified the virus yet. All of my family members are engineers, and some work at Lockheed Martin but still could not solve it.
I will try to give Dell a call to see what they can do for me.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! :bigthumbsup:
Old 02-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Veteran member

I agree Barb, I used Norton for years until the 2006 version which had so much overhead it brought my desktop to it's knees. I've since switched to the free version of AVG which by the way, my old co-workers who are in the IT business also use, and have been happy with it since. My laptop is updated almost daily as is my old desktop and the desktop now runs well. I wouldn't touch McAfee with a ten foot pole.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 AM

I have most of those, except I have never heard of ErrorSmart.lnk or AVG Anti-spyware. I would be interested in trying those though. Do you remember where you got it, and if it is free?

I appreciate all of your help... :bigthumbsup:
Old 02-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Eternal Member

I am not sure if you live in TV but if you do - have you thought about taking your PC to a local shop and let them clean it up for you? I recommend MMD in Lady Lake to everyone that calls me with problems and I cannot fix their PC. They do a good job and have $5 off coupon in the Daily Sun.

My feeling is if you have tried all you can to fix it and are getting nowhere, find someone with experience even if it costs a few bucks.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

walkstop
I told Bernie about AVG free...... I use it and I like it very much. Its easy to use and effective. He said he was going to pass this info to you...but i think after he tried it. NO idea if he did!! I would also stay away from McAfee....McAfee slowed me down to a crawl.
Also you appear to be mixing up a virus from unwanted tracking site that you find on ad-ware. I also have numerous hits when I run ad-ware ...constantly the same sites come up...but these are not viruses.....but you constantly have to clean your machine to get rid of them or else they can track you!!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM

Any local shop will install free AVG and even Spybot. However, don't be lulled into a false sense of cyber security. Get a real virus protection. I still recommend Norton.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:53 PM

Thanks for all of your help!

Barb,
I will try to download AVG, and possibly give ErrorSmart.lnk a try.

784Caroline,
I constantly am finding stuff on ad-ware but your right, I do need a virus software.

Richman,
If none of the other programs work, I might give Norton a try. I have had it in the past and never had a problem with it, I just never transfered it to this computer when I got it.

Zcaveman,
I will probably take it to a shop if the system restore fails. If that does not work, it is beyond anything I can do.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:13 AM

Barb,
When I tried to get AVG, only the 30 day trial is free. Also, my computer is so messed up, ErrorSmart.lnk found 839 problems!!! When I tried to remove them, it only removed 4 and told me I need to buy it to get rid of the rest.

Let me know if you have had this problem...

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.