I Need a Small Inexpensive Tablet For Long Term Travel

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2021, 05:34 PM
Default I Need a Small Inexpensive Tablet For Long Term Travel

My MacBook's good but I don't want to travel with it. I may be out of the country for 6 months and all I need is emails and perhaps my pro football/baseball. An iPad may be best but a bit on the expensive side. Dependability is the key word.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,601 Times in 5,194 Posts

Samsung - Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" Wi-Fi 32GB.

On sale at Best Buy for $180.

If you want really cheap, get a Kindle Fire 7 inch for $50. I have 8 of them that I use as alarm clocks.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:55 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTYSECRET View Post
My MacBook's good but I don't want to travel with it. I may be out of the country for 6 months and all I need is emails and perhaps my pro football/baseball. An iPad may be best but a bit on the expensive side. Dependability is the key word.

Any ideas? Thanks.
I will begin with all the disclaimers: Not an apple fan, have had 2 large (10.5) screen Samsung tablets, NO complaints ever, very easy platform to use, incredible vibrant screen image and camera, but in the $500 category. Also never been a big Amazon fan, but of course most of us can't avoid it completely. Wanted a very inexpensive tablet for travel, still wanted a large enough screen to not get eye fatigue when I used it as a laptop. With reluctance, I ordered one from a TV shopping channel, think it was the one here in FL. The big "deal" (it was around Thanksgiving or maybe school starting) some years ago now, was the 10+ inch Amazon Fire for less than $100. All I can tell you is this thing has been beaten around everywhere, from beach, to cruise ship, to golf cart and air plane, often without even putting it into protective case ! The cameras, front and back, are excellent (but yes, my new Samsung Note phone is a higher quality camera, but most would not know the difference in the ones I take with the Fire. Never thought I'd be recommending an Amazon tablet, but, now I wonder why I ever bought such expensive ones ! That's my honest review (confession ! LOL !)

Last edited by Pairadocs; 10-24-2021 at 06:00 PM. Reason: omission
Old 10-24-2021, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,601 Times in 5,194 Posts

I also have an expensive Samsung tablet ($900), but the Samsung Tab A is a very good deal. The screen resolution is not as good as the higher end tablets, but it is good enough and will save hundreds of dollars. When you spend a lot of money on a tablet, you are mostly paying for a better screen resolution, which you may not even notice.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

My Amazon Fire HD9 was relatively inexpensive and handles email, browser, Hulu, and Netflix just fine.

Only two things that annoy me are the mail tool and limited apps. The built-in mail tool us usable and I use it to access my gmail but it isn't quite as usable as a true gmail app. There is a gmail app on the Google Store but the Fire device can only access the Amazon store natively and the Amazon store has a limited number of apps. There are a few things I've not been able to find but nothing that has been a show stopper.

As a last resort I have a remote desktop capability that I can use to access my home computer from the tablet. I don't need to use it often but it makes me feel better knowing that it's available.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
travel, side, key, expensive, word

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.