Installing CenturyLink

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Default Installing CenturyLink

If I buy CenturyLink internet service online it will mail me modem router but asks do I need help setting it up. My question is I'm in Lady lake and have cable coax sticking out of inside walls in all the rooms, so can I just hook up to those ports or do I need someone to run wire from outside the house inside.

Also is there a store I can just go to or do I have to mail it to me. Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

I think you need to hook up through phone lines with Century Link unless you had century link tv before in house and they converted coaxile cables from Comcast to their own.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
If I buy CenturyLink internet service online it will mail me modem router but asks do I need help setting it up. My question is I'm in Lady lake and have cable coax sticking out of inside walls in all the rooms, so can I just hook up to those ports or do I need someone to run wire from outside the house inside.

Also is there a store I can just go to or do I have to mail it to me. Any input is appreciated.
I did it myself without any problem. The directions were very straight forward.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

There is a store in Lady Lake. Next to Jersey Mikes in front of Target.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:27 PM

Thanks do I need any tools and what does it actually hook up to?
Old 12-02-2018, 08:28 PM

That store closed I believe.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

Hi, The very best thing you can do is to search YouTube for how to connect your Century Link modem to the computer. It is very simple. I'm a female who does all this stuff. Your modem connects right into a phone line, mine is right under my desk, and then you will have a power cord which plugs into the modem and the back of your computer tower.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhbear View Post
That store closed I believe.
Just looked online..... you are correct, it's closed. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

They were going to mail the modem out to me for a self-install. I insisted on them coming out because I didn't want any remorse over this that or the other thing going wrong. One hour before they were due to come out they called to try to get out of coming and get me to try to do it myself. I declined and its good I did because it was a S**T Show because Century Linkster was never installed in my house before. Two weeks later they sent out a team to bury the cable that the landscaper chopped into oblivion! They temporarily ran an ORANGE highly visible wire around the yard to the box, Have them install it. It's worth the $60. Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Default The Complete Guide to Centurylink Self-Installation

The Complete Guide to CenturyLink Self-Installation | HighSpeedInternet.com
Old 12-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Thank you,
Old 03-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Default Century link install

I just had CenturyLink installed and here’s what I learned: CL internet uses the phone line (DSL I think). I had a tech install it and he had to make calls to the central office, work outside and finally inside. The tech install costs about $100 which I think is worth it. What is not worth it is the ADDITIONAL $100 they charge to program a usable password and help you hook up your stuff. Hope this helps. PS: In a past rental I was in, CL shipped the wrong modem to replace the bad one!!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Veteran member

Most of the new CenturyLink installs do not use phone lines. They use a fiber connection (Phone, or DSL, has very limited speed. Fiber is only limited by the hardware). It is an ethernet connection, not coax or phone line. For my home, they had to connect the fiber, and run it into the house.

Only very old sections of The Villages would still use a phone line... and if it is DSL, I would never use it.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:44 AM

I had an issue with the install. So I used John Chumbler (325-289-1596). I've used him before for a computer issue. He is very through and very friendly. He will be a lot cheaper than a CL tech. My friend used him to cut her cable service and setup streaming.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Veteran member

If I could make a suggestion, I wish I hadn't contracted with CL to use their router. You have more control over one you own and don't have to go through CL and wait for their techs when it needs service. The $5 a month rental fee adds up over years.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, inside, centurylink, ports, hook

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.