Internal Laptop Wifi Card

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2022, 11:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts
Default Internal Laptop Wifi Card

My HP laptop purchased 16 months ago is a 11th generation core I -7. I am upgrading the internal wifi adapter to Wifi 6. The new adapter is not here yet. What I did was carefully open the laptop to make sure the existing adapter is not soldered in (it's not). What I noticed is that there is only one wire attached to the existing card. Some have two wires attached to the card. I'm hoping the new wifi 6 card will be okay with one wire attached to it. Am I correct??
Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Here is a YouTube video. It looks complicated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0QV0UoOmC-Q
Old 06-06-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
My HP laptop purchased 16 months ago is a 11th generation core I -7. I am upgrading the internal wifi adapter to Wifi 6. The new adapter is not here yet. What I did was carefully open the laptop to make sure the existing adapter is not soldered in (it's not). What I noticed is that there is only one wire attached to the existing card. Some have two wires attached to the card. I'm hoping the new wifi 6 card will be okay with one wire attached to it. Am I correct??
With the price of Win-tel laptops dirt cheap, why even mess around with this? If it were me I would upgrade the hardware to the latest and greatest then donate the old.

As a side note, I find I use my iPad Pro almost exclusively and maybe fire up my laptop once or twice a month for a few things that are not supported yet on the iPad.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I upgraded with a USB device that hits 300Meg most of the time, and this was under $20.

Tags
wifi, card, laptop, adapter, attached

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.