Internet providers

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If all I want is fast internet to watch netflix and youtube and I live near Brownwood, who should I get.
I now have Comcast but I'm not too happy.
BrightHouse
Old 03-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
BrightHouse
How much does it cost just for fast internet and what what is the speed? I should have included that in my earlier post.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Sage

I believe I'm paying $45/month for 100mbs. Don't hold me to the price - I don't have a bill to go by.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 PM

Please accept my apologizes Mrs. France you know what THEY say about people who assume, unfortunately I just assumed. I too am fanatical about my teams, so I will push for that NFL Package. & thanks for the heads up.

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've had Directv since 2008. I'm a Ravens fan and live full time in TV and have never missed a Ravens game on TV. If it wasn't for NFL Sunday Ticket then I wouldn't be able to say that. I'm not into going to bars to watch my team or to cheer with other fans. If you're not a football fan or if you're into spending only $80 or so a month on TV then go with Brighthouse. If you like the NFL and want 150 HD channels and want a DVR (Genie) that can hold a 1000 hours and records 5 programs at once, then go with Directv, you get what you pay for. Even if you just a little bit of an NFL fan, on Sunday at 4:00 and you're only games on channel 6 and 35 to choose from is either Tampa Bay or Jacksonville and you know Green Bay and Dallas is on somewhere, then you need NFL Sunday Ticket.

I have the Premiere package which means I have everything, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, TMC and Encore, plus the HD tier. Which is Sony, MGM, HDNet and a few others, which gives me about 50 commercial free movie channels in HD. I also have the internet hookup and can watch thousands of titles free from their library. Basically I can never watch all that I record, I have Netflix and haven't looked at that in two months. My bill runs about $150 a month, of course it goes up during football season but I also call and negotiate at times and usually they give me something, they are very flexible.

I've been with Century Link since 2011 and have landline home phone and internet. I have the two together with 10 mpbs speed, which I think is the highest Century Link offers in TV, and home phone with caller ID, call block and unlimited long distance. The Directv bill for everything is $59.99 a month, with tax it's $79, Florida is high on tax. In almost four years my internet has never been down, so I really can't help you with info on service since I've never needed it. I also only signed on initially for 12 months, that was 4 years ago so I'm pretty sure I don't have a contract and my rate and service has never changed. My Netflix works fine, so no problem with the speed.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcro View Post
Please accept my apologizes Mrs. France you know what THEY say about people who assume, unfortunately I just assumed. I too am fanatical about my teams, so I will push for that NFL Package. & thanks for the heads up.
Quite all right!
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You need a sustained 3-4 Megabits/sec for highdef Netflix. Pretty much anyone can provide that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If all I want is fast internet to watch netflix and youtube and I live near Brownwood, who should I get.
I now have Comcast but I'm not too happy.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you live in an area that has fiber to the house you can get 40 and 100 megabits/sec download with CenturyLink. If you are willing to make a few phone calls then I believe you may be able to get 1000 megabits/sec (1 gigabit/sec).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've had Directv since 2008. I'm a Ravens fan and live full time in TV and have never missed a Ravens game on TV. If it wasn't for NFL Sunday Ticket then I wouldn't be able to say that. I'm not into going to bars to watch my team or to cheer with other fans. If you're not a football fan or if you're into spending only $80 or so a month on TV then go with Brighthouse. If you like the NFL and want 150 HD channels and want a DVR (Genie) that can hold a 1000 hours and records 5 programs at once, then go with Directv, you get what you pay for. Even if you just a little bit of an NFL fan, on Sunday at 4:00 and you're only games on channel 6 and 35 to choose from is either Tampa Bay or Jacksonville and you know Green Bay and Dallas is on somewhere, then you need NFL Sunday Ticket.

I have the Premiere package which means I have everything, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, TMC and Encore, plus the HD tier. Which is Sony, MGM, HDNet and a few others, which gives me about 50 commercial free movie channels in HD. I also have the internet hookup and can watch thousands of titles free from their library. Basically I can never watch all that I record, I have Netflix and haven't looked at that in two months. My bill runs about $150 a month, of course it goes up during football season but I also call and negotiate at times and usually they give me something, they are very flexible.

I've been with Century Link since 2011 and have landline home phone and internet. I have the two together with 10 mpbs speed, which I think is the highest Century Link offers in TV, and home phone with caller ID, call block and unlimited long distance. The Directv bill for everything is $59.99 a month, with tax it's $79, Florida is high on tax. In almost four years my internet has never been down, so I really can't help you with info on service since I've never needed it. I also only signed on initially for 12 months, that was 4 years ago so I'm pretty sure I don't have a contract and my rate and service has never changed. My Netflix works fine, so no problem with the speed.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You may be able to save some money on your CenturyLink bill. I pay $46/month for 40 megabits/sec download including the router lease and all taxes/fees. I use a voice-over-IP phone (Ooma) that runs an additional $3.50/month (taxes and 911 fee).

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Old 03-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
You may be able to save some money on your CenturyLink bill. I pay $46/month for 40 megabits/sec download including the router lease and all taxes/fees. I use a voice-over-IP phone (Ooma) that runs an additional $3.50/month (taxes and 911 fee).
I live just off St. Charles and my internet connection they call it 'to the curb'. I don't have modem, my computer or router plug directly into a wall jack. I've thought about dropping the landline but I guess we all get spoiled by the convenience. I'll may check into faster service someday, but as I stated, I really have no problem with speed even when watching movies on Neflix.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:38 AM

I did away with my land line a while back. The only reason I kept it was for Faxes. Now with my new Handy Dandy IPhone 6+ just take a picture of your documents and email it or message it. Turns out, it becomes a legal document same as a fax. What a country, I,m never going back!

SEMPER FI
Old 03-21-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Can't help you with the internet part, but we have had DirecTV for over a decade and absolutely love it. Brilliant picture, the Genie system that works great, NFL Ticket not available anywhere else, and Extra Innings for baseball. Also something for hockey. It occasionally goes out in a storm for a few minutes, but you can switch to non HD and get it back. However, it's never stayed out long enough for us to do that.

And their customer service is excellent.

We had Brighthouse on Anna Maria Island in a winter rental once for internet and TV and thought it was great. Can't answer your speed question, though.
Direct Tv and Internet GREAT......... never any problems. Guess depends on where u are in the villages.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:44 AM

LOVE Direct TV. Some people don't like it because it can go out during heavy rain. However, we record so many shows --- we just watch them and wait for the rain to end. Good customer service. Not missing C$$$C*###*
Old 03-26-2015, 12:07 PM

Just thought I would do a quick up date.
I am going with Direct TV for my TV package & with Noncast for internet. I know I said never again for Noncast but that was for my TV package & they gave me what I wanted for internet with no phone. .DTV for $49.99 & Noncast internet for $39.99
Don't want to go into a blow by blow description or bore you with the ugly details but it was a knock down drag out fight.

Thanks For all the input.

SEMPER FI
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.