Internet Service Provider Throttling  Bandwidth

Internet Service Provider Throttling Bandwidth

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Internet Service Provider Throttling Bandwidth
Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Default Internet Service Provider Throttling Bandwidth

We have Xfinity for our internet and are under the assumption we are paying for 100 mbps. While streaming tv we noticed lots of buffering.I did a speed test and found we are only running at a download speed of 33.54 mbps. We will be calling Xfinity but I was wondering if anyone here are having or have had the same problems. If you have did you find a resolution to this annoying problem?l

Worcester (Wistah) Massachusetts-52 years
The Village Of Amelia The Villages Fl -September 09-
June 10, 2013 Gilchrist
The Village of McClure November 7th ,2018
We are "Frogs" as of 08-21-2011

Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Gold member

Try turning the TV off, turning your computer on with no television or streaming services running, and checking speedtest.net on a browser. It's possible that you ARE getting speeds up to 100mbps. Also try connecting to a different server with the speedtest. And remember they promise "up to" 100mbps, not "exactly" 100mbps. So if it's in the 80's without streaming, it's probably fine. If you have a lot of devices connected to your modem/router it'll slow them all down too since they're all sharing the same connection. It shouldn't be as low as 34mbps. Are you using the xfi gateway, or some other xfinity-provided modem/router? Or is it one you purchased elsewhere? Your connection will never be better than the capacity of your modem.

Last edited by Jazuela; 04-30-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: misspelled streaming, woops
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 PM

Every time I test my Xfinity speed, it exceeds their quoted speed. There are many factors that can affect internet speed. The advice in the pervious post is spot on.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 PM

Also, are you connected via WiFi? It will not be as fast using WiFi and where you are located reference your WiFi router makes a BIG difference. Get up real close to the router and watch your speeds increase....or better yet connect via Ethernet cable for an accurate speed test.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 PM
Sage

Never hurts to shut down the router, then reboot the modem. Once the modem is up and connected, restart the router. Always seems to improve my internet speeds. I have Xfinity also, but with a separate router. If you are using the Xfinity gateway (modem and router in one unit) then just shut it down and restart it after a minute.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

I have xfinity, and I am paying for 250mbps, but the most I could get was around 80mbps, and sometimes 100 on the download. Had a service call, and the tech told me that, even though I had 250 service, 80 mbps wasn't bad because it was wireless. I told him that I could get 250 at my son's home, so that didn't make sense. We have a MacBook pro retina, and a ipad pro, not exactly slow machines. He said that he would install another modem/router. I'm now averaging between 290/300.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:36 PM
Sage

Promised speed is with an ethernet connection. Of course, they don't lead with that fact.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Promised speed is with an ethernet connection. Of course, they don't lead with that fact.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Promised WiFi speed is not with an ethernet connection. The problem is that you're bypassing their recommended "buy our Comcast Cable TV" by using a streaming service and device. Your WiFi will - or should be - at the speeds advertised. That's why I said to try it without the TV on, and just using your laptop or computer with no streaming. The WiFi connection should be coming to your house just fine. It's what you do with the connection that would slow it down.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I have xfinity, and I am paying for 250mbps, but the most I could get was around 80mbps, and sometimes 100 on the download. Had a service call, and the tech told me that, even though I had 250 service, 80 mbps wasn't bad because it was wireless. I told him that I could get 250 at my son's home, so that didn't make sense. We have a MacBook pro retina, and a ipad pro, not exactly slow machines. He said that he would install another modem/router. I'm now averaging between 290/300.
You definitely need a router that can accommodate the promised d/l speed. The speed of the service will never be faster than the speed capacity of your modem/router.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Gold member

I believe speed can be impacted by your device. My computer tests around 70 mps download speed, but my Kindle Fire HD tests at over 100. My service is promised at 100.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, speed, mbps, xfinity, wondering