Internet Service Provider Throttling Bandwidth

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2019, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
O.k sitting in the same room where my firestick is having buffering problems because it's only at 34 mbps I did a speed test on my tablet and it registered 87 mbps. Is it possible there's a problem with the firestick?
The type of firestick could be the problem.
The type of firestick, used with the type of TV, could be the problem.
The type of TV could be the problem.
The fact that you're using a streaming service at all could be the problem (Xfinity might be choking the speed intentionally because you're bypassing their TV service. You'd have to check your contract to find out).
The firestick could be defective.

Any of these things could be the problem, or contribute to the problem.

Some things just aren't compatible with other things, and will slow everything down when you try to combine them anyway.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:36 PM
Bosoxfan

Tonight after work I took my WiFi extender and set it up all over again like it was a new device.After doing this we haven't had a problem all night.Weve watchedlive tv both sports hockey and baseball.Weve also watched some on demandwithout any problems.Our speed jumped from 34 mbps to 92 mbps. Hopefully problem solved🤞🤞
Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Here is an interesting tidbit that I found out yesterday. About 2 months ago I renegotiated with Comcast and got their 400Mbps internet service. I have my own Motorola MG7550 modem, rated at a maximum of 686Mbps. I recently noticed that my performance as all over the place. Many times under 100Mbps and once up to 300Mbps. Comcast came down yesterday and the tech was very good. He went over and checked everything and could not find the problem. The next item to suspect was the modem. Since it is still under warranty, I called Motorola support. Again I got a great tech on the phone. He new the solution to the problem immediately. It seems that Comcast uses 24 download channels over 400Mbps (even though they don't have to) and my modem did only 16. So it was change my speed or buy a new modem. I opted to save money and lowered my speed with Comcast to 150Mbps. All is well now. Bottom line: Check your modem if it you are renting it.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Bosoxfan

I bough a router that Comcast recommended..Its the Netgear Nighthawk A.C. 1900 WiFi cable modem router with built in DOCSIS 3.0
Old 05-04-2019, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Cable companies have priority over everyone else (which is why cable stations don't buffer), also the FCC killed "net neutrality" (which would have required cable companies not to throttle everyone else). Guess who gives money to politicians.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Default Same problem

When we had Comcast we would continually have problems with the streaking, pixeling, and freezing. Every time it seems they somehow fixed the problem without having to come into the house. It just became annoying and that why should we have to go through this all the time, especially during snowbird season. Switched to Spectrum 7 months ago and last month even got rid of everything but internet and use You Tube and Roku with quite a few different apps and do not have any problems. Just hope it lasts....
Old 05-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Cable companies have priority over everyone else (which is why cable stations don't buffer), also the FCC killed "net neutrality" (which would have required cable companies not to throttle everyone else). Guess who gives money to politicians.
It's not dead, just somewhat hobbled by the current administration's FCC picks. But your first statement isn't true.

Each ISP (including cable companies) have priority over their own networks. Meaning, they can offer whatever they want to offer, however they want to offer it, depending on their agreements with the content-providers (the TV stations). They can offer it at whatever speeds they want to offer it, depending on their contracts with their customers. The customers either agree, or don't agree, to those conditions.

So if you have cable and your agreement is that any data transfer past the first 500mb per day gets slowed down from 500mbps to 2mbps, then that's what happens. It has nothing to do with which company has priority over the internet. The ISP can even slow you down during busier times, or give you extra speed at slow times. Or make you pay extra for unimpeded access 24/7.

The internet, as they say, is free. ACCESS to the internet comes at a cost. The cost is between the customer, the service provider, and the bandwidth available between the two.

Personally I feel network neutrality is vital for free-flowing communication. No one should have their access penalized for living in a certain neighborhood, or watching at a certain time of day, or downloading more than a certain amount of stuff.

If they want to do a "basic plus" program where you get everything your heart desires on a silver platter BUT it comes slowly...then that's what you have to put up with, unless you're willing to pay for the "Super plus" program that gives you all of that, but at excellent speeds.

The thing that bugs me about loss of net neutrality, is that even with the "super plus" program, the company can say "okay you have this, and you use it all the time, but you use more than we want you to use so we're taking away THAT channel, and THOSE hours of viewing, for the rest of the month."

That's what the loss of net neutrality dies. It doesn't mean that the cable network has a monopoly on the internet in a given area.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, speed, mbps, xfinity, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.