Internet wiring question

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2022, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougawhite View Post
You can have only one modem, the unit that connects to the cable company's incoming cable. You can have as many routers as you want, each one will connect to an Ethernet port on the modem.
Maybe, but you would need a continuous wired ethernet connection from the basement to the third floor. If the house is fully wired for ethernet, then I don't understand why the modem needs to be in the basement. It sounds like the house may not be fully wired. I tried to Google this, but it seems complicated. The internet provider may not allow two routers to send out the same wifi signal.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-13-2022 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:32 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default wi-fi extender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer222 View Post
For home up north- modem is in basement- (has to be)
3rd floor wifi is weak- there is a LAN jack on the third floor- do not want to run wires across the floor
what device would I hook into this 3rd floor jack to give wifi to the third floor- my concern that a wifi extender would latch on the the basements wifi and not provide much strength
Thanks in advance
cheapest way is with a wi-fi extender. you can select which wi-fi you want to connect to. If it doesn't work always send back to Amazon
Old 09-15-2022, 07:11 AM

Try moving the existing router to somewhere else in the basement.
Then try a different router. Your may be defective. If it's provided by your internet provider, call them and ask for service.
If your router is separate from the internet modem, and the two are connected with an ethernet wire, you can relocate the router to the 3rd floor.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Routers or switches? With the proper router with NAT capabilities, the cable modem Ethernet goes to the router, and from the router to switches/splitters for multiple drops/access points. You can have multiple access points on a NAT router
Closed Thread

Tags
wifi, floor, floor-, jack, 3rd

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.