iPad mini vs. laptop

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Sage

I have one of the original iPads from 2010. Don't know what to do with it. Can't update it. I have an Amazon Fire 7 that I get quite a bit of use out of. I used Fed Ex customer loyalty points from my former job to buy that.

I still like a laptop for heavy duty computer use, and I'm using a laptop almost all day at work. In fact i am now in the market for a new personal laptop to replace my almost 5 year old laptop which runs Windows 8. My work laptop runs Windows 10, and I really didn't have a problem getting used to Windows 10 when my employer switched to that about 5 months ago.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
That's odd.
The one I just bought has a DVD/CDRW.
In researching new laptops, I found there are still some manufacturers that make laptops with DVD/CD drives, but they are becoming harder to find. Maybe within a few years the DVD/CD drives in laptops will be gone altogether.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
???

My last three laptops did not have CD drives.
We have an external CD drive that plugs into our solid state laptops (that don't have CD drives). You could get an external USB port for the iPad, but the ones we've tried don't work too well.

To others' comments: The thing I don't like about my iPad is typing on it. You have to toggle back and forth among three keyboards (unless they've "fixed" that issue in newer iPads). Our Android tablet has everything on one keyboard. Still harder to type on than a laptop.

We use Android phones and Windows laptops. My iPad is slowing down with age, and I've been told I probably need a new one. I'm thinking about going to an Android tablet and foregoing the ability to change out the sim card for traveling abroad. We can change the sim cards in our phones and toggle a tablet to them if need be.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

I've been using a Chromebook for about 5 or 6 years now. For me it's about safety. A chromebook doesn't get a virus, it starts up in seconds, updates are automatic without you even knowing it.
While I do have a laptop (Windows 7), I only use it about once a month.
99.9% of the time I'm online, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo news, banking, various other web sites.

The Connected Villagers will have a workshop at Eisenhower on Jan 15 at 1-2 PM. There will a table for Android, Apple, Windows and I'll have a table for the chromebook. Bring your Village ID and I'll show the chromebook.
Closed Thread

Tags
ipad, mini, laptop, years, storage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.