VoIP - Which One?

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Sage
Default VoIP - Which One?

I'm ready to go VoIP. I'd like to know your recommendations please. And I have a few related questions. Such as...if I went with Ooma for example, do I need to get handsets, etc. to make the system work? If you recommend a certain system, I'd like to know what you consider basic required equipment, startup costs, and monthly costs...and of course any other relevant info I may not even be considering.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:29 AM

I have used Magic Jack since March. No interruptions. No dropped calls. Voice is crystal clear both sending and receiving. I think it was $49.00 for first yr. Less in year two. Used in both the Villages and in pittsburgh. Just plug into wall outlet (power) and the back of your router. Used existing phones. 3 auxiliary phones all work great. Their customer support weak. Texting only but you should have no problems setting it up. Takes 5-10 days to port an existing phone number over to MJ. Mine took 4 days. Think you will be happy with it.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'm ready to go VoIP. I'd like to know your recommendations please. And I have a few related questions. Such as...if I went with Ooma for example, do I need to get handsets, etc. to make the system work? If you recommend a certain system, I'd like to know what you consider basic required equipment, startup costs, and monthly costs...and of course any other relevant info I may not even be considering.
We use Magic Jack in Florida as well as in Canada (we have a modem each place). We've been using it for years and years. Much less expensive than Vonage.

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-13-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

we went Ooma. We use all of the same digital wireless phones that we had before Ooma.

Now into year 2 and not a single complaint.....clear as a bell....nice to be able to call anywhere in the USA with no LD charges.

We pay $2.89 per month....savings of over $35 per month!!!!

You do need to have a home wifi set up/router.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We use Magic Jack. We've had it since they started in 2007. Then you had to have a computer running. Since 2011 they have come out with a jack that plugs into your router, and no computer needs to be running.

We've never had a dropped call or message not received, but we use Comcast internet, which is very reliable. I am not worried about not having phone service if the internet goes out, because we have smart phones that use satelite and which can be charged up on the cars' batteries.

After the yearly fee (as noted above), there are no other fees/bills. Local and long distance calls in the US are free.

You do have to purchase a phone to go with it. We have a Panasonic KX-TG6841, recommended on TOTV a while back. It is a base phone with two wireless "satelite" phones. I wish I could spell sattelite. Satellite?
Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

We have a Magic Jack but only use it for my wife to call her family in The Philippines. We hardly ever use it anymore since she uses Facebook video chat or Skype now.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a permanent landline these days. I got rid of mine years ago. We have two cell phones.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Gold member

We have used Magic Jack for years. Works fine and it's cheap!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:17 AM

Agree with everything but the part about having to buy a new phone. Simply use the existing digital phone you have now. We did and it works fine.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:53 AM
Gold member

We have had Ooma for for over 6 years with no issues. About a dozen of our friends and family have it also. Pug any wireless phone into the Ooma box and you are good to go. You bill is only what the taxes are in your area $3 to $5 a month. One more thing the Ooma box is portable so you can plug it into any wifi network and your # goes with the box. I can't believe the cable companies charge $30+ a month for the same thing!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 PM
Sage

Thanks for all the replies...exactly the info I needed. After my research I'm not surprised that you are all satisfied with both Magic Jack and Ooma. It appears they're both very good.

I think I would satisfied with either. Since Magic Jack costs just a bit less, I'm going to give it a try.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:10 PM

Another vote for OOMA. Had it going on 4 years without issue. They do have a Premium service which has some interesting features but certainly not necessary for everyday use.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Switched from Magic Jack to Ooma and happy

Recently switched from Magic Jack to Ooma and very happy with Ooma. My MJ served me well over many years but I had issues with it that Customer Service couldn't resolve. Issues were: 1 would often drop the call after about 20 to 25 minutes 2. When we got a call at times we couldn't hear the other person or the other person couldn't hear us and had to have them call us back and then it would work. We spent hours and hours on the phone with MJ technical support changing settings and retrying and nothing resolved the issues over months. I take the MJ back and forth to NY with me and in both states I had the same issues. Finally got sick of it and switched to Ooma and it works great. Ooma cost a small bit more but service seems a lot better. BTW I had a J Plus.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage

I use my laptops mic and speaker and google voice. To see if this works for you watch this. Everything is free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOZU7BOeQ58

Watch the rest of microsoft's google voice youtubes.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfB...5uXSQGIC50xPpw

And than watch this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFFx8F7Fm9M

good luck
Old 09-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Gold member

We too use Ooma and in 4 years of use it works perfectly. No dropped calls, clear as can be. We have the basic service, not the premium. You can't beat the price.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
We have a Magic Jack but only use it for my wife to call her family in The Philippines. We hardly ever use it anymore since she uses Facebook video chat or Skype now.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a permanent landline these days. I got rid of mine years ago. We have two cell phones.
Some of us want land lines 'cause we can't hear well on the little cell phones, and some of us don't always get a good signal where we live.

We want to change from Comcast internet + phone which works fine but is expensive since their promotional rate ended. We would like to keep our 7-year old phone number when we change to a new provider. The trouble is (and I suppose this is a new one in the WACKY world of Comcast), Comcast doesn't recognize the phone number we have, so we can't get it ported! They think our number is 63*-****, but it really is 75*-****. When I dial 63*-****, we get a message that it is not in service.
Closed Thread

Tags
costs, system, voip, basic, required, work, recommend, equipment, startup, relevant, info, monthly, recommendations, ready, related, questions, handsets, ooma, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.