Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   IPad question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/ipad-question-348079/)

Lyarham 02-28-2024 05:04 AM

Ipad

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 2305649)
I can't power off my IPad because the touch screen function is not working. I've tried holding down the power on/off button for an extended time but that doesn't seem to work either. I thought if I could power it off and on again I might be able to get the touch screen back. The IPad is four years old. Is it time for a new IPad?

Try holding down the home button and the on off button for several seconds at the same time

tomssis 02-28-2024 06:26 AM

Probably need to contact apple

My iPad stopped recognizing my touch about a month ago. Luckily I had a keyboard cover and it would accept commands from it but would not recognize any on the touch screen. Best Buy tried everything and were wonderful. Finally had to send it back to Apple. They had to send me a replacement because it could not be fixed. Must have been an internal problem.

rsmurano 02-28-2024 06:29 AM

The newer iPads with the m1/m2 processor are light years ahead of the 4 year old model.
But you are in luck, in a few weeks a brand new series of iPads will be coming out with the m3 processor, a newer Magic Keyboard/trackpad, and will be even bigger than the current 12.9” iPad Pro. All of this along with a new iPad OS, this will/should be the iPad version that you truly can replace a Mac mini/macbook.
My m1 iPad Pro will be up for sale once this comes out.

Berwin 02-28-2024 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 2305793)
“Hey, Siri. Turn iPad off”. Works for me every time.

Same here, brother Razorback.

DonnaNi4os 02-28-2024 06:44 AM

Hold the power button and home button together until the screen shuts down. That should work

cphubbell@aol.com 02-28-2024 07:56 AM

IOS updates

Good you got it to shutdown. Hope you also got it to come back on. Make sure that all system updates have been done . Sometimes these are software caused problems that manifest as a hardware problem.

Odale123 02-28-2024 08:04 AM

Quote:

I can't power off my IPad because the touch screen function is not working. I've tried holding down the power on/off button for an extended time but that doesn't seem to work either. I thought if I could power it off and on again I might be able to get the touch screen back. The IPad is four years old. Is it time for a new IPad?

Press the home button and the side volume at the same time. The slide off bar will appear on your screen-slide it to off. To turn it back on do the same thing.

Bogie Shooter 02-28-2024 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odale123 (Post 2305877)
Press the home button and the side volume at the same time. The slide off bar will appear on your screen-slide it to off. To turn it back on do the same thing.

See post #11……:.apparently you missed.

OhioBuckeye 02-28-2024 09:27 AM

Ohiobuckeye

I would take it back where you bought it & let them show you or let them see if they can’t show you how to turn it off. But I assuming it an older model because you didn’t share that. But if it’s a yr. or less old I’m sure they’ll replace it or fix the problem!

Keefelane66 02-28-2024 10:10 AM

I pad 7th generation OS version 17, 0, 03. Press Top right button swipe to shut down. Or hold bottom button and ask Siri to shut down follow prompt

PurePeach 02-28-2024 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 2305751)
THANK YOU!!! I pressed both the hold button and the on/off button until the Apple logo appeared. The touch function is back. Yippee! I don't have to buy a new IPad.

You just performed a hard restart. This is something that should be done periodically to allow the device to reallocate stored data on your device and run more efficiently. This should also be done on an iPhone as well. Years ago when I made my first Apple purchases, Apple recommended doing this. I restart my iPad every couple months or so as I use it constantly and my iPhone monthly. I knock on wood as I say this, but I never have problems. My last iPad was with me about 7 years and I sold it last year when I bit the bullet and bought an updated one that would better suit my demands.

Nana2Teddy 02-28-2024 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmurano (Post 2305840)
The newer iPads with the m1/m2 processor are light years ahead of the 4 year old model.
But you are in luck, in a few weeks a brand new series of iPads will be coming out with the m3 processor, a newer Magic Keyboard/trackpad, and will be even bigger than the current 12.9” iPad Pro. All of this along with a new iPad OS, this will/should be the iPad version that you truly can replace a Mac mini/macbook.
My m1 iPad Pro will be up for sale once this comes out.

YAY! So happy to hear this! I’ve been holding onto my 2017 12.9” iPad Pro waiting for one this powerful to be released. Now I might not have to replace my 2014 MBP. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

MidWestIA 02-28-2024 04:43 PM

apple

make a appt to Millenia mall apple store nice trip

Arl 02-28-2024 10:19 PM

I pad frozen

Quote:

I just had the same problem google it and you will see
how to be able to shut it down. I believe you hold the
top button quick push in and release then hold the on off button and the apple will come on also plug in when doing this. If it doesn’t work try the second. button and then the on off good luck

Girlcopper 02-29-2024 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coralway (Post 2305712)
Press the power button and the volume button together at the same time for a second or two

Correct.