iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle

Old 12-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Free App's from Apple

Apple is distributing a new, free app called "12 Days of Gifts". You can search for it on the App Store This is the first year Apple has distributed this app in the US market. The app, as well as all the downloaded apps, are free.

Below, is a description of the app:

Description
From December 26 to January 6, you can download a gift each day—songs, apps, books, movies, and more—with the 12 Days of Gifts app. Each day's gift will only be available for 24 hours, so download the free app to make sure you don’t miss out.

Enjoy!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Geezer View Post
It is not an app but a web site called Carting The Villages. I just tried in on my iPhone and it did not display the cart path map. I will have to play around with it to see if it can be displayed.

Carting The Villages -Home

Another option that I know works is to bring up Google maps for TV and change the settings to bike paths. This will bring up a map of the cart paths. Thanks go out to TOTV member Memason for getting this up and running.

VG
Carting the villages site opens and the map begins to appear then the site closes down altogether........trying to open on my iPad. Anyone else having the same problem?
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Here's a way to toss all those phone books, even the ones from back home...

This app "White & Yellow Pages" has all the phone numbers you need, along with maps to get there. You can type in a city or if you're traveling, simply let the app locate you. At that point, you can search various businesses in the area...pizza, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. There are lots of different functions in the menus, so be sure to check them out.

Go to the app store and search for White & Yellow Pages to download.

Enjoy...
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Here's a way to toss all those phone books, even the ones from back home...

This app "White & Yellow Pages" has all the phone numbers you need, along with maps to get there. You can type in a city or if you're traveling, simply let the app locate you. At that point, you can search various businesses in the area...pizza, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. There are lots of different functions in the menus, so be sure to check them out.

Go to the app store and search for White & Yellow Pages to download.

Enjoy...
I installed this on my ipad and when I tried to register, I got an error message: Create Account Error: Error: No UID passed to hitpoint.

Under that is a "Dismiss" button. I don't know what any of that means. Can you help?

Last edited by CFrance; 03-03-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I installed this on my ipad and when I tried to register, I got an error message: Create Account Error: Error: No UID passed to hitpoint.

Under that is a "Dismiss" button. I don't know what any of that means. Can you help?
Sounds like they have a problem with their site. I would wait a while and try again, although,I did not create an account. I just download the app and started using it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Sounds like they have a problem with their site. I would wait a while and try again, although,I did not create an account. I just download the app and started using it.
Thanks, I just figured out I don't have to register to use it. Nice app!

A grocery/list app that I use on my android (not available for iphone last time I checked) is Out of Milk. I love it for its ease of use. No learning curve.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Google Search or Siri

I am using an app called Google Search, which you can find in the Apple App Store. I've all but retired Siri

When you start it, there is a microphone in the middle of the screen. Tap the microphone and ask your question. App will answer your question, like Siri, only much faster. If there isn't a voice answer, you'll get a google search listing of pertinent sites. It works great for navigation... Simply say, "Navigate to the cheesecake factory in orlando, fl" and it will tell you the distance, traffic conditions, time to drive and turn by turn directions.

There are many other google functions to this app, so if you have a Google account, there are many other items you can access...calendar, Google Voice, etc.

You'll be amazed at how fast and comprehensive this app can be.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryandlinda View Post
iPhone crashed Friday, Apple replaced it ,lost some apps and data.
We need to get the weather channel back that had hourly, three day, current, severe alerts, and 10 day.
What isnthe correct URL for that?
L&L
I know I'm way late to respond to this question (new to the forums), but I thought the answer might be useful for some other folks. If you ever accidentally loose an app (i.e. let the grands play on your phone!) just go into the App Store and click Updates, toward the top is a button called Purchased, click it then switch the view from All to Not on this iPhone. You will be presented a list of just apps that you have previously installed but are no longer installed. Hope it helps some folks.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 AM

I recently purchased Voice Dream Reader and am very pleased with it. It reads aloud to you in a pretty natural voice (actually, a dozen or more voices are available). As it reads it highlights the text, so you can follow along. It has easy controls to skip forward or back, adjust text size, and even change the rate at which it reads. It can load books directly from Project Gutenburg (45K books!), read the text of a Web site or a PDF, or anything you can load into your clipboard. It can also read any text you add to another service, Pocket. Pocket is a simple way to mark web content that you want to read later, like news stories. So, for instance, you could scan through your favorite news sources, mark a bunch of articles to Pocket, and then in VDR load them and have it read them to you as you drive, exercise, whatever. Pretty nice. VDR is a bit expensive, I think it was about $10 and more for additional voices. But that's pretty cheap compared to a similar program I have on my computer which cost $40. The only downsides of VDR are: it cannot read most purchased iBooks (blame iTunes), and it cannot save the audio (to share, for instance). BTW, I looked at several other text to speech apps and found that all of the good quality ones required subscriptions, which would cost you more in the long run. I does have a free demo version if you'd like to try it out (reads for 10 mins a day, I think?). Enjoy!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Default Best App

My most favorite app is Next Issue for magazine reading.:
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM

MY favorite app is ShopShop. I have it on my iPhone, iPad and my husbands iPad and Iphone. It syncs all 4 via Dropbox. Fantastic for shopping lists.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 PM

I recommend Waze for maps, directions and traffic conditions. I also like In Touch Ministries. Both are free.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Yesterday I downloaded "Place My Face" from Apps Gone Free. It is still free today. You paste someone's face on another body. It's a load of fun. Get it now while it is free!
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Default Macbook Pro

looking for help with various commands/tools

are there any clubs or courses in the Villages?

thx
Old 01-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb View Post
looking for help with various commands/tools

are there any clubs or courses in the Villages?

thx
There is an Apple iClub that meets on the second Tuesday of the month at 12:30 at Saddlebrook. They would deal with MAC issues. iPad club deals with iPads and iPhones on the first Tuesday at Colony Cottage at 1:30

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.