iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default New iPad app....

Got a new app for the iPad. It's another free app... This app will show you the inside layout of an airport terminal, including all the stores, lounges, as well as the gates and layout. Likewise, it will show the layout of malls and which stores are located in which place. By clicking on the store, another small box will popup with additional information. Once you look at a location, it downloads the information to the iPad, so you don't need an internet connection for future viewing.

Name:Point inside maps for airports and malls
Cost:$0.00
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
SNOK

Is anyone aware of an add-on camera/mike for the iPad? It would be nice to be able to Skype or video conference with the iPad. The Print & Share app seems to work well to print to a shared printer attached to a desktop accessible via the wifi home network.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Smile

Mitchbr47

Downloaded Whistle for my mother in law's I pad,

Thanks, it works great, my mother in law has a land line only with no long distance so she is hesitant to call anyone out of the area, with this app there is no cost.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Default Whistle ipad app

I had trouble with Whistle initially with the DSL we have in TV. Once we were back in MI with a faster connection it worked great.
A good source of reviews is http://theipadcritic.com/.Some of the apps are gaming. My favorite source is http://www.bestappsite.com/

I went to our local Apple store in Michigan as I had a problem with my trackpad. It was packed with people playing elecrtronic toys and buying iphones and ipads. I would imagine everyone is envious as the Apple Store is 6.4 miles from home.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Nice App.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
Mitchbr47

Downloaded Whistle for my mother in law's I pad,

Thanks, it works great, my mother in law has a land line only with no long distance so she is hesitant to call anyone out of the area, with this app there is no cost.
ljones.... Thanks for the tip! I downloaded Whistle and just got off the iPhone with my Son in Illinois. We talked for about an hour and there was no problem with the app...no static, lag, echo...nothing. It was an international call, by the way, since I'm sitting Germany, at the moment...although, with Whistle, the call was complete free.

Just for the record...I'm always a bit skeptical of these types of apps, so I put my iPhone in airplane mode (disabling the cell network) and made sure I was only connected to my WiFi network, prior to making the call.

Now, I will install Whistle on my iPad too....
Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Default Whistle

After installing Whistle on my ipad I found out the program also works on a Mac or a PC. You can use the same phone number previously assigned. I used to use Google Voice, then use the LAN line. This is less cumbersome. I haven't tried a conference call. I think you can only call out. That's OK for FREE.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Hurricane tracking app

Just tried out a new app called iHurricane HD. Not that anyone there would care to track hurricanes, but you never know.

It has some rather nice features, including email notifications, if you want them. Will use your current location to determine how far you are from the hurricane, etc.

This is an iPad app, but there is also an iPhone version.

Enjoy
Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default TV Guide for the iPad

TV Guide just released a new app for the iPad. It works pretty well. Has lots of nice features and you can get a quick preview of all the upcoming new season programs... Castle starts again on sept 20th, for instance.

The app is free, but I was a little surprised that Comcast was not a listed as a provider for TV. It did have DirecTV and Dish networks though. Even so, most of the prime time listings are the same for the major networks, whether satellite or cable.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool This is hilarious !

Got a new app for you to try. It's called Talking Tom Cat. Go to the app store and download it....its free and you'll get a good laugh.

Mike
Old 09-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Sage

IPAD apps....

Mike ... Yep, I found Tom cat, he's pretty cool. Thanks for the dictation heads up... That one works remarkably well.

From safari browser, pull up LSL or ss webcam... With the pincher zoom out you can see pretty good detail.

Other free apps I use... Netflix, google earth, zillow, calculator xl, cartoons from msnbc.. A compilation of political cartoons from cagle, slots, blackjack, poker, doodle hangman, shanghai lite mahjong theme solitaire game, doodle neon glow

Purchased friendly Facebook front end ... Allows chat and let's you see who is online, manage list manager, smule piano, shanghai mahjong solitaire non lite version.

And on and on... The variety of apps is amazing!!!

Thanks to you and others for sharing your favorites.

Last edited by villages07; 09-09-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage
Smile Wowser!

My kind of peeps!!! How did I miss this thread??? I love all the information here. I'm an app junkie! What exactly does Whistle do? Is it like Skype?

Also, thanks for the "tethering" tip. Great info.

You have all mentioned many of my favorite apps for the iPhone and iPad. (Oh, I didn't download the cat because I have a talking hamster! hahaha!) But, I might look into it.

Shazam, The Weather Channel, Wikipanion, Zino, Kindle and iBooks, (I'm reading three books at once!) I also love things like Magic Window (calming, and WhiteNoisePro) Lots of Recipe sites. Great to have right there in the kitchen to read. Also AppAdvice, tells you about latest apps, good or bad.

Try the Salem Witch Trial game on your iPad. Really cool. And if you like to sketch or design, Sketchbook Pro (also bought a separate touchpen to sketch with)

One more note: When Google TV comes out, they will have an app for the Droid and for the iPhone and iPad.

I just love it all!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Got a new app for you to try. It's called Talking Tom Cat. Go to the app store and download it....its free and you'll get a good laugh.

Mike
Is it like Smack Talk? Smack Talk is adorable! It features your choice of a talking guinea pig, beagle, cat or chihuahua that repeats what you say in adorable voices. You can also get the characters to make various noises and you can change the speed and pitch of their voices.

I use it when I visit with my youngest nieces and nephews because it makes them giggle. Actually, it makes adults giggle too.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
My kind of peeps!!! How did I miss this thread??? I love all the information here. I'm an app junkie! What exactly does Whistle do? Is it like Skype?
Whistle is "similar" to Skype. With Whistle, you get your own personal phone number and people can actually call your iPad or iPhone... The app now has push notification, which just means it will ring your Ipad or iPhone without the app running. Skype will cost you $.02/minute to call cell phones or landlines. Whistle is free to any phone in the US. I've had good luck, calling the US from Germany, in terms call quality. But, Skype has been rock solid for me too....

BTW.... I got the Whistle app suggestion on this thread..

Both are great apps...
Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Is it like Smack Talk? Smack Talk is adorable! It features your choice of a talking guinea pig, beagle, cat or chihuahua that repeats what you say in adorable voices. You can also get the characters to make various noises and you can change the speed and pitch of their voices.

I use it when I visit with my youngest nieces and nephews because it makes them giggle. Actually, it makes adults giggle too.
PT... They are pretty much the same. I like the video saving aspect of talking Tom, so you can send a video of tom talking to someone in email.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Sage
Arrow Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
PT... They are pretty much the same. I like the video saving aspect of talking Tom, so you can send a video of tom talking to someone in email.
OK, thanks again for another great tip! Yes, I have Smack Talk, but if you can email the talking cat I will get that! I have a friend that's exiled to Canada for half a year and I'll send her messages through this. Keep this thread going. It's great!!!

Also, I just wanted to say a word about that ArtistOil HD app. It really makes your pictures look like paintings. I've tried many, but this one is great! I was sitting in bed, brought up a pic of my husband, made it look like an oil painting, hit print with my HP3 app. And then went into my office in the front of the house and found a absolutely (or should I say appsolutely) beautiful 4 x 6 print that looks like a painting of my hubs. It's sooooooo cool!

OK, please keep the ideas flowing! I'm loving this thread big time!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.