iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle

iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Sage

My favorites:
  • AppBox Pro (already described)
  • Viewti Golf (3D course layouts, tracks scores, pick target based on analysis of your game, GPS, etc.)
  • Wikipanion (self explanatory)
  • News Feed (tons of new sources)
  • Pandora (already described)
  • Sudoku (self explanatory)
CardStar is wonderful in theory but doesn't work well. You enter your merchant "loyaty card" numbers and it duplicates your card's bar code. Theoretically, you can scan the duplicated bar code in CardStar rather than carrying all of your merchant loyatly cards. However, it usually doesn't work.

Redlaser is also good in theory, but doesn't work well. Theortically, you scan the bar code of an item you see at a store, and it will tell you the sales price of that same item at other stores, including online.

iphone saga (probably best in computer forum?)
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Default iphone saga (probably best in computer forum?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Just go to the app store and search for weatherbug or weather channel. There are lots of weather apps, so you might just want to search for weather and see what you get.

What version of iPhone did you have go belly up ?

Happy hunting
L&L answer:

yeah, the canned weather on the home screen is paltry.
we like hour by hour
the 'daily', can give a bleak 70% (or more) of precip if at any time in the 24 hours there is a chance of a drip.

the fone?
it's our 4th after a theft, a bad slam in a car door, and a loss.
3G (we don't "qualify" for an upgrade for 18 mo.)

So we have the google/gmail calendar auto web-based push and synch - (this is great but made us lazy)
so it had been a couple months since the contacts and 'notes' were synched'

We plugged it into the minimac and that's when 'error 29' showed up 5 times after updates, etc.
It said 'reset me and lose the info or else turn me off"

I mean this thing went dumb as can be- no function - you know that 'you're screwed and everything is lost' screen that says' plug me in to Itunes now or I'm not talking!'
no camera, no 9-11 calls.
Support geniuses walked me though some steps:
error 29 is 'hardware' try another synch cord, another port, finally gave an appointment for that night.
they gave us a new fone with a couple signatures.

Back in March the phone went for a freshwater dive and the home button went out- it was fresh water and just 3 seconds when it went overboard in a lake with me.
Tried all the tricks - fridge, rave, dessicant, warmth, you name it.

Our son opened it and cleaned contacts (should have used an eraser but he used something a bit stronger)
A few functions came back but to get 'home' it required tedious poweringn off and waiting, then powering on.
The son found a shortcut involving setting it up with a code for an emergency call . The home button miraculously came back in 60 days.
We took it to Apple and without even opening the kid knew it went under water-tell tale white dot visible from the outside was red.
BUT the two others inside were still white- so it was a short soak.

We must have had a colorblind genius when we got the new fone last week

We now have some dry bags for such outings, and a large one for the iPad.
Hey, is there a way to 'tether' the iphone to our iPad to avoid yet another 'plan??

L&L
Sponsored Links
iPhone Tethering
Old 07-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Default iPhone Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryandlinda View Post
Hey, is there a way to 'tether' the iphone to our iPad to avoid yet another 'plan??

L&L
Well, that's an interesting question. The short answer is yes, but you might not like the way you have to do it...

First, a disclaimer: it would be illegal to tether in the US, since AT&T will not allow it and therefore, you would be "stealing" their bandwidth.

OK.... Yes, technically you can tether, but you first have to jailbreak your iPhone. If it's still under warranty, jailbreaking will void the warranty. If your one year is up, it doesn't much matter. Although, sometimes Apple will replace your phone if you can prove it to be a defect in workmanship, etc. So, proceed with caution.

Once you jailbreak and install Cydia, you can install an app called MyFi, which will allow you to make your iPhone a WiFi hotspot. Therefore, you can use the iPhone to tether anything...iPad, Computer, iPod, etc...

Technically, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to do this. It's all a matter of everyone getting their cut of the usage fee pie (profit).

Go to YouTube and search on iPhone tethering and you'll get all the help you need, if you want to tackle it.

Enjoy.....
Comcast and the iPad
Old 07-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Default Comcast and the iPad

For all you Comcast users, here's a new app that looks very interesting. I don't believe it's been released yet, but if you're remotely (no pun intended ) interested in using your iPad as a remote control for the cable box...here's your chance.

Checkout this video....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLz72XErN8U[/ame]
Scrabble anyone?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Default Scrabble anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
There was a recent recommendation that we share information our Apps for the iPhone and iPad. Great idea, since I'm always looking for new ways to use my devices. So, I'll start with a couple of my favorites:

Device: iPad & iPhone
Cost: $0.00
App: Weatherbug
Comments: Weatherbug is a weather application that provides weather information on cities, worldwide. This app is simply beautiful on the iPad and includes current conditions, 7 Day forecast, Camera Views and a zoom-able weather map. iPhone version is also a good weather app.

Device: iPhone
App: Golfshot Lite
Comments: This app is for keeping golf score and statistics. I've only used it once, but it was very easy to use and provided some interesting statistics about my game. You can keep score for your 4 some, if you wish. There is a paid version of this app ($29.99), which is a GPS locator, as well. App has thousands of golf courses, including those in The Villages. The GPS on the iPhone will locate the closest courses to your current location. This is very useful, if you are in an unfamiliar area.

Device: iPhone
App: Shazam
Comments: This was one of my first apps and I believe one of the most amazing. The apps will "listen" to any music source (Radio, CD, TV, your humming, etc.) and will identify the artist and song. Once identified, you are normally presented with options to purchase from iTunes or many times, you can watch a YouTube video of the song.
I'm an ipod touch and ipod user. My faves are MLB.com At Bat 2010 for checking out the ball games by listening to the audio and watching video highlights. Bing Music plays the top 100 songs by yearsI am addicted to Scrabble. I also enjoy Sirius XM along with Pandora. Sirius XM has a free 7 day trial. Another interesting app is Adobe Ideas (free) for simple sketching. ABC Player is great for watching recent shows. Whistle works great for free long distance calls with a 15 second commercial before connecting. It is like having a speaker phone on the ipad. I also have a Nikon guide app that is better than reading the fine print in the manual.
I went with the 64 GB model after buying a smaller size flash drive on my ipod touch. I'm looking forward to multitasking with iOS4 this fall.
Has anyone purchased speakers for their ipad?
New iPad app....
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Default New iPad app....

Got a new app for the iPad. It's another free app... This app will show you the inside layout of an airport terminal, including all the stores, lounges, as well as the gates and layout. Likewise, it will show the layout of malls and which stores are located in which place. By clicking on the store, another small box will popup with additional information. Once you look at a location, it downloads the information to the iPad, so you don't need an internet connection for future viewing.

Name:Point inside maps for airports and malls
Cost:$0.00
Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
SNOK

Is anyone aware of an add-on camera/mike for the iPad? It would be nice to be able to Skype or video conference with the iPad. The Print & Share app seems to work well to print to a shared printer attached to a desktop accessible via the wifi home network.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Smile

Mitchbr47

Downloaded Whistle for my mother in law's I pad,

Thanks, it works great, my mother in law has a land line only with no long distance so she is hesitant to call anyone out of the area, with this app there is no cost.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Default Whistle ipad app

I had trouble with Whistle initially with the DSL we have in TV. Once we were back in MI with a faster connection it worked great.
A good source of reviews is http://theipadcritic.com/.Some of the apps are gaming. My favorite source is http://www.bestappsite.com/

I went to our local Apple store in Michigan as I had a problem with my trackpad. It was packed with people playing elecrtronic toys and buying iphones and ipads. I would imagine everyone is envious as the Apple Store is 6.4 miles from home.
Nice App.....
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Default Nice App.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
Mitchbr47

Downloaded Whistle for my mother in law's I pad,

Thanks, it works great, my mother in law has a land line only with no long distance so she is hesitant to call anyone out of the area, with this app there is no cost.
ljones.... Thanks for the tip! I downloaded Whistle and just got off the iPhone with my Son in Illinois. We talked for about an hour and there was no problem with the app...no static, lag, echo...nothing. It was an international call, by the way, since I'm sitting Germany, at the moment...although, with Whistle, the call was complete free.

Just for the record...I'm always a bit skeptical of these types of apps, so I put my iPhone in airplane mode (disabling the cell network) and made sure I was only connected to my WiFi network, prior to making the call.

Now, I will install Whistle on my iPad too....