iPhone and iPad Apps that Sizzle

Old 09-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24 View Post
OK, thanks again for another great tip! Yes, I have Smack Talk, but if you can email the talking cat I will get that! I have a friend that's exiled to Canada for half a year and I'll send her messages through this. Keep this thread going. It's great!!!

Also, I just wanted to say a word about that ArtistOil HD app. It really makes your pictures look like paintings. I've tried many, but this one is great! I was sitting in bed, brought up a pic of my husband, made it look like an oil painting, hit print with my HP3 app. And then went into my office in the front of the house and found a absolutely (or should I say appsolutely) beautiful 4 x 6 print that looks like a painting of my hubs. It's sooooooo cool!

OK, please keep the ideas flowing! I'm loving this thread big time!!!
Wow, the email feature has me sold too!

And Chels, please give Bare my love when you send her the cat-talking email.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Sage
Arrow Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Wow, the email feature has me sold too!

And Chels, please give Bare my love when you send her the cat-talking email.
I will certainly do that. I sent her one already, but I don't know if she's opened it. Just got a message that she's now hooked on the Dragon Dictation one I told her about. That was another great tip I think I picked up here. Nancy (07) was showing it to me last night and I went right home and downloaded it. It's great!

Hugs to you PTurner. Hope we all get to have lunch together this winter when Bare and Nonie are here.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

For Ipad go to the app store and find Epic Citadel for some fantastic graphics. It's a demo for a game engine that allows you to walk through a mid-evil city and see the streets, trees with the leaves moving in the wind, really cool.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
For Ipad go to the app store and find Epic Citadel for some fantastic graphics. It's a demo for a game engine that allows you to walk through a mid-evil city and see the streets, trees with the leaves moving in the wind, really cool.
Just downloaded Epic Citadel.... All I can say is WOW! Amazing graphics.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Sage

Here's a new IPAD app ...

All Stuck Up (Lite is free version)

Kind of a brainstorming/idea manager. Good visuals, easy to use, and it's free.

Also, a couple of days ago "AppShopper" came out...this is a free App that makes it very easy to search for Apps, especially new and updated ones.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Try wikihood. It uses your GPS to identify where you are then shows you news, events and things going on close by.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
There was a recent recommendation that we share information our Apps for the iPhone and iPad. Great idea, since I'm always looking for new ways to use my devices. So, I'll start with a couple of my favorites:

Device: iPad & iPhone
Cost: $0.00
App: Weatherbug
Comments: Weatherbug is a weather application that provides weather information on cities, worldwide. This app is simply beautiful on the iPad and includes current conditions, 7 Day forecast, Camera Views and a zoom-able weather map. iPhone version is also a good weather app.

Device: iPhone
App: Golfshot Lite
Comments: This app is for keeping golf score and statistics. I've only used it once, but it was very easy to use and provided some interesting statistics about my game. You can keep score for your 4 some, if you wish. There is a paid version of this app ($29.99), which is a GPS locator, as well. App has thousands of golf courses, including those in The Villages. The GPS on the iPhone will locate the closest courses to your current location. This is very useful, if you are in an unfamiliar area.

Device: iPhone
App: Shazam
Comments: This was one of my first apps and I believe one of the most amazing. The apps will "listen" to any music source (Radio, CD, TV, your humming, etc.) and will identify the artist and song. Once identified, you are normally presented with options to purchase from iTunes or many times, you can watch a YouTube video of the song.

memason:

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you guys are making age like 20 years reading your emails. LOL
I've been an electrical engineer for almost 40 years and I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to go and get started with Ipad or Iphone. Hell I remember not too many years ago I didn't think I needed Internet. Guess I'm more than a little behind the times.

Do you have any suggestions where I should look for best info regarding Ipad or I phone? I'm not going to retire for another year or so and I hope all this stuff is not obsolete by then. LOL
Old 09-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUREK View Post
memason:

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you guys are making age like 20 years reading your emails. LOL
I've been an electrical engineer for almost 40 years and I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to go and get started with Ipad or Iphone. Hell I remember not too many years ago I didn't think I needed Internet. Guess I'm more than a little behind the times.

Do you have any suggestions where I should look for best info regarding Ipad or I phone? I'm not going to retire for another year or so and I hope all this stuff is not obsolete by then. LOL
Jurek.... It seems today, if you don't keep up with the technology, it passes you by rather quickly ...and it's hard to keep up!

There are literally thousands of places to learn about either the iPhone or the iPad. My recommendation is to first go to www.apple.com and look at the products; read what they do and watch the online demo videos. The iPad has a very good collection of "how to" videos. Secondly, if you are anywhere close to an Apple store, stop in and look around; talk to the sales person and get your hands on an iPad. There's no substitute for holding the iPad in your hands and trying out a few of the apps. They will have lots of iPads on a table for your testing pleasure. The sales folks [at Apple] are very helpful and there's normally no pressure to buy anything...at least, that's been my experience. I LOVE the Apple store! Although, most Apple users do.

Once you get a general understanding of the products and what they do, this thread will make much more sense to you. Especially all the app talk.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to find it for you. I'm certainly no expert!

Happy hunting......
Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Veteran member

memason:

I know what you mean about technology. I deal mostly with Japanese equipment and I've been to Japan 6 times in the last 15 years. By the time I get back the equipment they trained me on is being replaced with newer stuff.
You guys I admire for keeping up on the new technology . I'm headed on line and trying to find the closest Apple store .I hope to spend some time with a tech show me some of the ropes. I will go on line first as you suggest.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Jurek.... It seems today, if you don't keep up with the technology, it passes you by rather quickly ...and it's hard to keep up!

There are literally thousands of places to learn about either the iPhone or the iPad. My recommendation is to first go to www.apple.com and look at the products; read what they do and watch the online demo videos. The iPad has a very good collection of "how to" videos. Secondly, if you are anywhere close to an Apple store, stop in and look around; talk to the sales person and get your hands on an iPad. There's no substitute for holding the iPad in your hands and trying out a few of the apps. They will have lots of iPads on a table for your testing pleasure. The sales folks [at Apple] are very helpful and there's normally no pressure to buy anything...at least, that's been my experience. I LOVE the Apple store! Although, most Apple users do.

Once you get a general understanding of the products and what they do, this thread will make much more sense to you. Especially all the app talk.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. If I don't know the answer, I'll try to find it for you. I'm certainly no expert!

Happy hunting......
That is so true about the Apple stores! Any mall I ever go to that has an Apple store, the Apple store is always crowded, even when the mall isn't. I mentioned that to my mom once. Now whenever she goes to the mall near her, she always walks by the Apple store just to see-- and sure enough, she tells me, it is always packed.

And yes, the sales people are wonderful. Always ready to answer questions, show you how to do something, or show you any products you want to see -- but never any pressure to buy anything. I guess that's why one reason people feel so comfortable frequenting Apple stores.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Default learning to use an ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
That is so true about the Apple stores! Any mall I ever go to that has an Apple store, the Apple store is always crowded, even when the mall isn't. I mentioned that to my mom once. Now whenever she goes to the mall near her, she always walks by the Apple store just to see-- and sure enough, she tells me, it is always packed.

And yes, the sales people are wonderful. Always ready to answer questions, show you how to do something, or show you any products you want to see -- but never any pressure to buy anything. I guess that's why one reason people feel so comfortable frequenting Apple stores.
I find the best time to visit an Apple store is round 10 in the morning just as it opens. I avoid weekends and after 4PM. I bought an iphone the last week of August and could barely get in the door. There were so many college kids getting mac books and iphones before the school year started.

Also, for those in TV, visit the Macintosh user group http://www.thevillagesmug.org/that meets at Saddlebrook Rec Center on the 4th Wednesday . I know they have an iphone SIG (Special Interest Group) that overlaps with the touch and probably the ipad, but not sure how active they have been this summer. The SIG leader is Carole M.
There is a rumor that Target will start selling ipads later this month. I haven't heard about Best Buy or Walmart. The Apple store would provide much better support.

I'm pretty sure there are videos on iTube. There are how to books coming out for the ipad. If you do buy one there is a free 398 manual on the ipad in the iBooks app.

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier in the thread. You really need iTunes whether you use a Mac or a PC as it helps with downloads, syncing, and backups.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Default My favorite Apps

I have two favorites that I use often:

#1 Calorie tracker (free) My wife and I have lost 11 pounds in about six weeks with this app. You put in your weight and your desired weight and it sets a calorie level to follow. Then you track everything you eat in a very simple manner. It works for us, might work for you.

#2 Cyclemeter GPS cycling computer (4.99) This is a fantastic App. Works for cycling, Hikeing, running, Walking.
Gives: TIME, Distance, Speed, Avg. Speed, Calories burned!
You can store routes and time yourself against previous times! It also draws a map of your track. Highly reccomend this one if you into exercize or cycling.

Bob
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Sage

I mentioned this in an earlier post but AppShopper is a great tool for keeping up with the latest apps. I check it every day for "What's New"...first new Free apps then new Paid apps. Also, all may not realize that many of the IPhone apps will also work on the IPAD ... just look at the technical requirements for the app and see if it works on IPAD.

Here's some other recent IPAD app finds.

Tectonic (free) ... shows real time/recent earthquake activity around the world. Yikes, never realized how much is going on.

Lose it (free) ... tracks calories, exercise, weight, goals. Nice interface. I looked for Calorie Tracker mentioned elsewhere in this thread but it is no longer free.

Biorhythm-Free (that's the specific name) - an iphone app that works fine on IPAD. Store yours or others birthdays and it plots out your emotional, physical, intellectual biorhythms.

Go Skywatch Planetarium (free) - point the IPAD at the night sky and it plots out the planets and constellations you see.

NFL Livesport24 (free) - real time box scores and recaps of NFL games. Still trying to find a live streaming site for NFL games. Couldn't watch my favorite team yesterday!!!

I also recently paid $1.99 (on sale!!) for World Monopoly game ... the traditional monopoly game with great graphics and animations.

Anybody else have any recent/neat apps to share????
Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool New York Times

For those, who like the NY Times, there is a new iPad version available. Appears to be the entire edition.

One caution....you have to register your email address and they say they will begin charging for access sometime in 2011. However, there are times some developers will "grandfather" current users without a charge. You can always delete the App, if they begin charging...or pay the subscription.

Enjoy....
Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Default ipad club

Has anyone started an Ipad club?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.