iPhone Update - why all the prompts to activate ApplePay

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2021, 07:26 AM
Post iPhone Update - why all the prompts to activate ApplePay

I just took an iPhone update and was a bit surprised by all the times it prompted me to set up ApplePay. Coming to all the well-informed people on TOTV to get your insights about why Apple wants me to use this feature?
Old 08-14-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

You can find some articles on Apple nagging users dating back to 2017. According to those, Apple gets a few cents for every transaction so the more people use it the more money they make.

Many gas stations and most grocery stores accept contactless payment and are compatible with Apple Pay. I find it more convenient to use my phone than to pull out my wallet and the card.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-14-2021, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
I just took an iPhone update and was a bit surprised by all the times it prompted me to set up ApplePay. Coming to all the well-informed people on TOTV to get your insights about why Apple wants me to use this feature?
You will see many retail stores etc, pushing their credit cards as well. It is nothing new.
It is shockingly profitable business. People, who do not pay their account every month the interest they can legally collect is shocking. Partial payments, you pay the interest not the principle. It is a legal tread mill to poverty.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:59 AM
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
You can find some articles on Apple nagging users dating back to 2017. According to those, Apple gets a few cents for every transaction so the more people use it the more money they make.

Many gas stations and most grocery stores accept contactless payment and are compatible with Apple Pay. I find it more convenient to use my phone than to pull out my wallet and the card.
I appreciate your reply. Was aware of the transaction value to card issuers. But since Apple Pay is tied to a an issued credit card, didn't realize Apple gets some of the fee too. This was very helpful.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
I appreciate your reply. Was aware of the transaction value to card issuers. But since Apple Pay is tied to a an issued credit card, didn't realize Apple gets some of the fee too. This was very helpful.
Actually Apple Pay is tied to any credit or debt card you choose to use. Apple Pay is just the Apple secure method of making purchases. I typically have 4 or 5 CC's added to Apple Pay and use different CCs for different types of purchases.

I do use Apples CC exclusively online.

It is the most secure I have found. A recent feature they have added to Apple Pay is if you and you wife (and/or kids) use Apple iPhones, you can share a CC with them. So, rather than each having their own cards you can have one. The provides usage security, and can help with rebuilding one of their credit ratings. On the other hand, they might not like others knowing what they are buying - LOL.

Apple has become security obsessed in recent years, and when you upgrade to the "coming soon" iOS you will probably be annoyed at first because there is so much security. But, it does help with spam, identity theft, etc.

I am an Independent Apple Developer, and I have been since 1985 when I got my first Mac.

I am running the beta's of all their software an there are some really nice features coming soon.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:08 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
It’s an option same with Samsung Pay, Google Pay or IPhone.
Not necessary to turn it on.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:26 AM
Default Apple Pay

I use Apple Pay on my watch. It’s easy and secure. I use the credit card of my choice for Apple Pay. I love it.
Quote:
Old 08-15-2021, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!! That's why . One of the most profitable businesses to be in banking and credit cards, especially when the feds had a few percentage points and credit cards are getting 28 to 36% which is roughly a thousand percent markup.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:49 AM
Default Money, Money, Money

Quote:
It’s all about MONEY, Apple gets a transaction fee each time it’s used.
You can just ignore it and not set it up, like I did.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:12 AM

Thanks to the the senator from Del for sticking up for MBNA and the rest of the pac over the last 50 years we have our insane CC rates - keep the poor -poor….
Old 08-15-2021, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBlt6 View Post
I use Apple Pay on my watch. It’s easy and secure. I use the credit card of my choice for Apple Pay. I love it.
Plus one! I use Apple Pay on my watch.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:34 AM

Dear Fools.

Minimize your cyber foot print.
Do nothing payment related on your cell phone.
Change your credit card numbers twice per year. Very simple, just go to the branch.
Checks, yes old fashioned checks, are the most secure form of payment.
Next Cash.
Then you get into cards.
Avoid them.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
Dear Fools.

Minimize your cyber foot print.
Do nothing payment related on your cell phone.
Change your credit card numbers twice per year. Very simple, just go to the branch.
Checks, yes old fashioned checks, are the most secure form of payment.
Next Cash.
Then you get into cards.
Avoid them.

It is your prerogative if you want to continue living your life as if it were 1970. As for me, haven't used paper checks for close to 15 years, and have had the same cc's with the same company for 40 years. Never had an issue or a problem - not one, not ever.

Enjoy
Old 08-15-2021, 11:00 AM

All transactions take their two cents worth, whether you use Apple Pay or Visa. Cash also costs you to carry. What's in your pocket is not earning interest, can get lost, and makes you a target.

Here's the big thing, Apple Pay and others like it are touchless. You don't touch cash, coin, card, pen, or the machine. I just got back from Las Vegas, most everything is touchless there.

Makes a lot of sense to me. COVID, cold, or flu, it's cleaner.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
It is your prerogative if you want to continue living your life as if it were 1970. As for me, haven't used paper checks for close to 15 years, and have had the same cc's with the same company for 40 years. Never had an issue or a problem - not one, not ever.

Enjoy
Count me in I only use paper checks when there is absolutely no other option. If we go to Publix, Stop& Shop, PriceRite or any other store pay by CC then go home and pay the charges off immediately. You have to have the discipline to payoff immediately Some months I've received $150 in cash back from use of preferred card. No longer do I have to sit and spend 90 minutes writing out checks each month like I did years ago. Let's also be realistic if you've ever used a computer or reasonable facsimile there's a footprint left behind.

I have alerts set so any charge to any CC I get an immediate text works like a charm. My only caveat a few weeks ago we paid a deposit for an upcoming vacation and the billing agency was a different name of the rental agency. I immediately canceled my credit card turns out the charge was legit but at least I was notified as soon as the charge was made. I then corrected the problem. Sometimes we've been in stores making charges and before we even walk out the door I get a text with the amount of the charge.

Last edited by B-flat; 08-15-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
iphone, update, applepay, totv, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.