iTunes - can anyone help?

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Default iTunes - can anyone help?

Laptop running windows 8.

iTunes version 12.11

(yes I realize both are outdated but that's not a contributing factor to my current issue)

I don't use the Cloud.

Couple of weeks ago I realized that I only had a few gigs of free space left (500gig capacity). I moved photos and vids to an external drive. Left "My Music" library intact (80gigs) which links to iTunes.

That only freed up about a 100 gigs. I searched around and discovered that Users - (me) had almost 300 gigs. I ended up dumping about 180 gigs of what I thought was useless files (shredded - wastebasket un-restorable).

It was after that action that I discovered that my iTunes is empty. Meaning no play lists - no library of music - no ratings - no purchased music - essentially nothing. Just a core iTunes like if you were adding music to it for the first time.

I'm wondering if there is a way to restore my iTunes data - or do I just give up and build from scratch again?

Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2021, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

Does your "my music" folder still have your music files in it? If so, you have not lost your music. I would copy that folder to a flash drive as a backup. ITunes is just a music player that plays music that is stored in another folder on your computer. I'm not an ITunes expert, but it sounds like you just need to link the ITunes library to your "my music" folder. It may be a good idea to re-install the ITunes program to make sure you have the latest version.

Does your computer have Windows Media Player? If so, why not try playing your music on that program?
Old 10-12-2021, 02:40 PM

Yes it does - I should have stated that. I haven't lost my music files - just all of the data associated with iTunes....the links to files in My Music, ratings, playlists etc.

I do have Media Player but have avoided using it as the windows itunes very easily syncs with my iphone and that's where I mostly play my music from.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

I would suggest that you uninstall ITunes and re-install the program. Then, I think you just "import" music by selecting the music files from the "my music" folder. It links the folder to ITunes and allows you to play the songs or copy them to your phone.

Another point is that, I think you can just copy the music files from your computer to your phone with a USB cable without even using the ITunes sync function. Then, you can play the music on your phone using the ITune app on the phone. You can also copy the music files to a flash drive and then connect the flash drive to your phone to copy them.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-12-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Buy a separate backup drive and backup your complete system, best investment I made.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest that you uninstall ITunes and re-install the program. Then, I think you just "import" music by selecting the music files from the "my music" folder. It links the folder to ITunes and allows you to play the songs or copy them to your phone.

Another point is that, I think you can just copy the music files from your computer to your phone with a USB cable without even using the ITunes sync function. Then, you can play the music on your phone using the ITune app on the phone. You can also copy the music files to a flash drive and then connect the flash drive to your phone to copy them.
Yes true - I can import my music files back into the app but playlists ratings, genres designations will all have to be created manually song by song.

Ok....direct from computer to phone - that's something I will definitely pursue. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Buy a separate backup drive and backup your complete system, best investment I made.
Agree 100% with that and have been doing that for years. Unfortunately, only certain folders not all of the system files. I'm now paying for that choice with this current issue!

Tags
itunes, gigs, music, left, library

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.